User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
fastring OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Baja on WR250R and 990 Adventure

This trip started about three weeks ago, in buying a 2007 KTM 990. It wasnt supposed to go to baja but my buddies KLR that is stored at my house didnt start.

The plan? South for 4 days from my house in Anza, CA to somewhere in baja and return Christmas eve.
fastring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
fastring OP
Adventurer

decided to camp the first night at agua caliente in Anza Borrego as it was roughly half the distance from my house to mexicalli crossing.

I had just picked up my WR the day before from George at Suspension 101 in Alpine for suspension work. The WR is my first moto in past 15 years and the suspension wasnt up for my weight and cargo weight. George is great, knows his stuff and is the nicest moto guy around. I cant wait to take the 990 to him.

Agua Caliente is good camping, we rolled in a few minutes before the hot springs closed. The ride out was the first for me on the newly sprung WR and the first for my buddy on my KTM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
fastring OP
Adventurer

After buying insurance, we motored down to Alfonsinos at Gonzaga Bay. lots of miles on paved roads. Wr suspension felt greatbut we were both craving dirt roads. We both remember when the road south of San Felipe was dirt...

Our view from hotel...

In our haste fuddling with KLR and me trying to pack, we didnt pack a map. We both run iphones with giaia for offline maps but apparently the maps didnt fully download. Alfonsinos had a AAA map we looked at over bfast. One of the other patrons, Dwayne, gave us his AaA map after watching me take photos of the map....

Old 12-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
fastring OP
Adventurer

Both bikes were bought used at 3 bros racing in LA, great folks. Here is some specs and a photo. Again, the KTM wasnt supposed to go, i have racks and panniers on order...

2007 KTM 990 Adventure. Dont know much bout it yet but it has the 2 gal acerbis tank in back where second muffler was and came with a few windscreens. As I was getting use to the bike (it rides different than the WR), I had the "double ricardo" windscreen mounted for road riding. It earned its nickname this trip "hungry hippo" as it is big, grey and thirsty. It got 37 mpg on road ride down but with novice rider me offroad in really technical first and second gear stuff, she only managed 18! I did manage to put 1000 miles on her in the two weeks prior to the trip, all road except for the dirt road from my house two miles to the first paved road into town. My buddy has the giant loop bag for hit KLR that mounted up quick and looked great on the KTM. Sort of made me question my order for rack and panniers. I am not a zipper fan and like the dry bag roll approach of the wolfmans.

2011 Yamaha WR250r. 5 gal ims tank, lots of wolfman stuff. I read bigdogs build up and more or less copied his build. I am a newb and he seems to know his stuff. So far, i am really pleased. The Suspension 101 work was new for this trip and George (suspension 101 in alpine ca) hooked me up good with new springs, valving, oil and whatever else goes into it.

fastring screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 08:35 AM
Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
fastring OP
Adventurer

The WR chain has always felt weird. As a newb, I didnt know what was wrong. once we left Alfonsinos headed south we took the left at Cocos Corner headed to Bahia LA. I forget what the road was called but it was marked at Cocos as Csomething.

On this road, the chain started sounding worse than usual. My buddy taught ,e how to adjust the chain and it was loose. We also noticed the bolt holding rear frame was missing so I installed a smaller bolt that fit best it could.

Funny truth is that I bought the WR because my understanding was that KTMs were too high maintenance. WR broke more this trip, granted its my fault as a newb for not understanding moto maintenance but i found it interesting that a 2011 WR with 6k miles would end up not making the entire trip but the 2007 KTM with 14k miles gave no issues (other than running out of gas).
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
fastring OP
Adventurer

We briefly met Thomas (thomas b. here on adv) and his wife Sandra at Alfonsinos. They are Swiss and store their KTMs in the states for rides. Lots to say about this couple but in short, they are good people. World travelers and Sandra can talk moto tire tread patterns all breakfast. Thomas is a lucky guy for sure.

Below is Thomas and Sandra leaving Alfonsinos

We were both headed to bay of LA and my buddy and I thought it would be fun if we found the same camp or hotel as the swiss couple. Well, after hours if tough road, my buddy found the couple motoring past on the road the the bay as i was struggling to get the WR out of some bad sand. i hadnt crashed at speed prior to this trip but the WR went down in the sand a few hundred yards before getting to the pavement that heads to bay of lA.

fastring screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 07:54 AM
Old 12-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
This can't end well
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
fastring OP
Adventurer

We arrived in Bay of LA after dark and road the main strip looking for a good campsite or hotel. While making a second pass, a couple flagged us down to encourage us to stay at their hotel. Looked good enough, so we pulled in and were surprised to see Thomas and Sandras bikes.

We enjoyed breakfast together and went our own ways. We had decided to start our trek north but to do so on the pacific side.

The below is a shot of Thomas and Sandras KTMs. Thomas is an engineer and had made lots of custom widgets for both bikes.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
fastring OP
Adventurer

Leaving bay of LA, we headed to the main highway but exited on the road to Mission San Borja. We had last been in 1997 and had enjoyed the drive.

tbdinsertvideo

At the mission, we were greeted by the family that is the mission caretakers. We have a photo with a young boy and girl in the mission staircase from that 97 trip. The young lady that greeted us was the little 4 or so year old girl that we had met prior. We learned that the young boy was her older (by one or two years) brother Henry. Lovely family and mission.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
fastring OP
Adventurer

Once on the pacific coast, we stopped at a few surf spots for future trip planning.

Some of the trails were washed out from the winter rains and the KTM got stuck twice. I do not have pics of the first stuck but it was bad and was late enough for it to be dark.

The wind was strong and we struggled to find a great campsite, ended up camping on beach fighting the sand and wind.