ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,064
Tell me about the Greenville NC area

I've had a potential job opportunity land in my lap in or around the Greenville NC area. What do I need to know?
Where's the sweet spot for real estate value vs travel time to Greenville proper?
Weather? Will I get sucked up in a hurricane?
Are there bugs that will kill and eat me?
Kids are nearly out of high school. Wife is an elementary school teacher was a COBOL programmer. I'm a jack of all trades with 30 years IT experience doing just about everything, but specializing in security right now. Can I get a job that pays a bazillion dollars?

Dirt riding easily accessible (Dual sport)?
Will I get run over on my street bike?

What am I forgetting?

Thanks!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 12:44 PM
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 200
I used to travel to Greenville for work, but it's been several years since I've been there. It's a nice little town.

East Carolina University is there, so there's good and bad that goes along with that. It's day trip distance from the coast. I would guess property is pretty cheap.

Weather: Hot and sticky 9 months/yr. Really nice for the 2 weeks of spring and fall. They had the "flood of the century" about 10-12 years ago from a hurricane. It did a huge amount of damage and really hurt the town. Lots of stuff either got abandoned or took a long time to rebuild.

Bugs: The mosquitoes might carry you away. Wear heavy shoes.

Bazillon dollars? Probably not.

Run over on the street bike? No more so than anywhere else.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 880
I lived in Greenville for about a year before I bought a house in Little Washington and lived there for about five years. I liked the area though, and Washington better, partly because it was far enough from Greenville that it was an easy commute to work, but had more of a small town type feel. There are also some good local restaurants in Washington. Lots of hot college chicks and at least one good bar in Greenville thanks to ECU. Raleigh is relatively close (an hour and a half from G-Vegas) if you like museums, concerts, or doing anything in a metro area. There are some nice historic towns in the area to visit, like New Bern. Greenville's only about an hour and a half from Nags Head and the Outer Banks, or the same distance south to the Emerald Coast. Cost of living is relatively inexpensive compared to where I live now outside of Washington, DC. If you're looking to buy a house, I have one for sale!

Edit: I did go through Hurricane Irene a few years ago and it did flood the low lying areas, but Washington is further downstream from Greenville on a wider part of the sound that if you don't buy a house on the flood plane, you shouldn't have any problems other than trees falling. In the 6 years I lived there, there was only that one hurricane.
Beezer Josh is online now   Reply With Quote