ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
K1paddler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Plating a dirtbike in VA - Emissions?

Hi All - I am looking at purchasing either an older XR400 or a new WR250/450F with the intention of DS'ing the bike (I am not looking to purchase a DS bike such as a WR250R). The "platability" of the bike will influence my buying decision. I've come to understand that I can fairly easily plate the bike here in VA by going through the steps of getting it street legal (DOT tires, horn, high beam, brake light, speedo, etc), getting an inspection station to "cerfity" it as street worthy, then heading to DMV for titling/registration. I'm not sure it's just "that" easy (?) but that's what I'm understanding.

My real concern in all of this is really around the required emissions. I live in Fairfax where both safety and emissions are required. A few questoins...
  1. I assume a bike in this situation would indeed have to go through and pass emissions?
  2. Would a 10-13 year old XR400 even come close to passing emissions?
  3. Would a new WR pass emissions with aftermarket pipe & free mods...or does it need to be left in 100% stock form to pass emissions?
K1paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,631
I have 3 bikes registered in VA and no emissions required. Just a "safety" inspection.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
K1paddler OP
Adventurer

Good to hear, appreciate the response. I guess I should've checked VADMV's site before posting - after seeing your post went out there and it clearly states motorcycles are exempt from emissions. This is all new to me so I'm clueless. Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
he "platability" of the bike will influence my buying decision. I've come to understand that I can fairly easily plate the bike here in VA by going through the steps of getting it street legal (DOT tires, horn, high beam, brake light, speedo, etc), getting an inspection station to "cerfity" it as street worthy, then heading to DMV for titling/registration. I'm not sure it's just "that" easy (?) but that's what I'm understanding.
Good luck,The DMV will require a title without the "for off road use only" stamped on it and they have the "on road" list in their computer they match the model against.Every once in a while they slip up and let one by,but you take the chance of it coming back to haunt you at a later date.

Recently one of the locals purchased a plated wr450 with a clean title and when the DMV transferred it the title came back with a "off road" title.....no plate.....

Getting it inspected is the easy part.
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,212
Any title that says "for off road use only" will be rejected.

Your VIN will be compared to DMV's database, if their database shows that VIN is "for off road use only" it will be rejected.

If your bike/title doesn't come up as "for off rad use only" then you will be able to get it legally plated.

I got an '04 KTM 450EXC that had never been registered done (bit of a hassle) and later, got my '10 Husaberg FX450 done w/ no hassle (it already had a plate/title from another state, but it was not originally a street legal bike - nor was the KTM).

Edit - never had to do any emissions testing for either one when applying for the plate or at the yearly inspections.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 334
I had a 2002 KTM that came with a certificate of origin but the DMV said for me to get a title the original purchaser would have to get the title first and then transfer it to me.

The original owner wasn't willing to help me out so here's how I got around it. There is a Virginia law that says if you own an off-road vehicle without a title you can request and receive a title for it. It will say off road only. After getting the title, so I had proof of ownership, I submitted the forms and receipts for the parts to make it street legal and was able to get a street legal title for it.
Note: The title says that it's a reconstructed vehicle.

The whole process was a bit of a pain and took about four or five weeks. In the future I will only purchase a bike with a street legal title but realize that it will probably cost more than one without a title.

VA law

DMV instructions
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
K1paddler OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty View Post
I had a 2002 KTM that came with a certificate of origin but the DMV said for me to get a title the original purchaser would have to get the title first and then transfer it to me.

The original owner wasn't willing to help me out so here's how I got around it. There is a Virginia law that says if you own an off-road vehicle without a title you can request and receive a title for it. It will say off road only. After getting the title, so I had proof of ownership, I submitted the forms and receipts for the parts to make it street legal and was able to get a street legal title for it.
Note: The title says that it's a reconstructed vehicle.

The whole process was a bit of a pain and took about four or five weeks. In the future I will only purchase a bike with a street legal title but realize that it will probably cost more than one without a title.

VA law

DMV instructions

Appreciate the thoughts and advice. I've taken the first step of going to DMV to trade the bill of sale for title. The title they gave me lists it as "all terrain" for body type. I have no issues taking the steps you outlined and getting the bike to street legal as a 'reconstructed vehicle'. Let the fun begin .
Old 12-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
B. Myers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
keep me posted on how this works out. I did the MSO conversion to street legal back in 2000, then sold the bike. I was since under the impression that the DMV didn't do any of that anymore.

I have since bought another DRZe, I would love to get plates on for fireroads in the national forest.
B. Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,917
I know a local inmate(VA) who tried to do this about six months back. Don't know the outcome. I'll PM him a link to this thread and see what he says.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
K1paddler OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I know a local inmate(VA) who tried to do this about six months back. Don't know the outcome. I'll PM him a link to this thread and see what he says.
Would love to know the outcome! Please do let us know.

So when I was at the DMV getting my title issued, I also explained my situation to the lady (i'm converting a dirtbike to streetlegal and need to eventually get it titled), asking her what I need to do. While she didn't seem completely sure of herself, she did reference the "reconstructed vehicle" information that an earlier poster provided a link to. Also she took about 10 minutes and , on DMV letterhead, she typed ujp the same in writing (the letter also includes my "customer" name and her "teller" name FYI). Here's what is says:

"In order to complete your transaction(s), DMV will require the following documentation:

Other: 1) Ownership document and bills of sale for frame, body, engine, transmission, or front end assembly (2) Notarized statement stating how the motorcycle was constructed (3) Submit multiple pictures of the completed motorcycle; must show at least the front and side of the motorcycle. (4) Submit 17A application (5) Mail to Virginia DMV, vehicle branding work center, PO Box 27412, Richmond, V 23269

When you return, please bring the following:
1. All of the documents you presented on your first visit
2. The additional documents/information listed above
3. Required fees.
4. This form."

All that said...it is entirely possible that she doesn't "compeletely" know what she's talking about and I get denied somewhere else along the way, BUT for now...this is the route I'm going to take.

EDIT: I specifically asked for this in writing. She didn't just take that initiative and type it up for me. Additionally, the form has her managers (DMV site manager) signature on it.

K1paddler screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 07:11 AM Reason: add info
Old 12-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1paddler View Post
Would love to know the outcome! Please do let us know.

So when I was at the DMV getting my title issued, I also explained my situation to the lady (i'm converting a dirtbike to streetlegal and need to eventually get it titled), asking her what I need to do. While she didn't seem completely sure of herself, she did reference the "reconstructed vehicle" information that an earlier poster provided a link to. Also she took about 10 minutes and , on DMV letterhead, she typed ujp the same in writing (the letter also includes my "customer" name and her "teller" name FYI). Here's what is says:

"In order to complete your transaction(s), DMV will require the following documentation:

Other: 1) Ownership document and bills of sale for frame, body, engine, transmission, or front end assembly (2) Notarized statement stating how the motorcycle was constructed (3) Submit multiple pictures of the completed motorcycle; must show at least the front and side of the motorcycle. (4) Submit 17A application (5) Mail to Virginia DMV, vehicle branding work center, PO Box 27412, Richmond, V 23269

When you return, please bring the following:
1. All of the documents you presented on your first visit
2. The additional documents/information listed above
3. Required fees.
4. This form."

All that said...it is entirely possible that she doesn't "compeletely" know what she's talking about and I get denied somewhere else along the way, BUT for now...this is the route I'm going to take.

EDIT: I specifically asked for this in writing. She didn't just take that initiative and type it up for me. Additionally, the form has her managers (DMV site manager) signature on it.
I forgot to say welcome to adv! Pretty good group of folks here.

I PMed the guy but being the holidays he may not notice it for a few days. Wow, that's not the response I would have expected from a(usually clueless) DMV agent. Usually they just say, "NO, you can't do that. NEXT!"

So on another note, what part of the State do you live and what type of paddling do you do? I'm a WW paddler myself, as are a few other inmates here. I'm up near Front Royal.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
K1paddler OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I forgot to say welcome to adv! Pretty good group of folks here.

I PMed the guy but being the holidays he may not notice it for a few days. Wow, that's not the response I would have expected from a(usually clueless) DMV agent. Usually they just say, "NO, you can't do that. NEXT!"

So on another note, what part of the State do you live and what type of paddling do you do? I'm a WW paddler myself, as are a few other inmates here. I'm up near Front Royal.
Thanks for the welcome I appreciate it! Yeah this forum is excellent and has provided me a wealth of information. As for the DMV I have to say that all in all it was quite a successful visit having walked out with a title and instructions to get where I want to be! We will see where things go now...

That's great to hear there are other boaters out here, although I guess Ishould've expected as much being these are two fantastic activities!

EDIT: Removed off-topic material.

K1paddler screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 08:01 AM Reason: info update
Old 12-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 227
Hey K1paddler, you might consider buying that type of bike that has been licesened in another state. I bought a WR-250F in VA this summer. The VA title did not have "off road use only" on it, so I was able to get it tagged in WV.

If you ever do your paddling/biking trip in Southern WV, contact me and we'll hook up for some rides.
wvdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #14
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome I appreciate it!
You're welcome! I don't want to clutter you're thread so I just PMed you.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've come to understand that I can fairly easily plate the bike here in VA by going through the steps of getting it street legal (DOT tires, horn, high beam, brake light, speedo, etc), getting an inspection station to "cerfity" it as street worthy, then heading to DMV for titling/registration. I'm not sure it's just "that" easy (?) but that's what I'm understanding.

My real concern in all of this is really around the required emissions. I live in Fairfax where both safety and emissions are required. A few questoins...
  1. I assume a bike in this situation would indeed have to go through and pass emissions?
  2. Would a 10-13 year old XR400 even come close to passing emissions?
  3. Would a new WR pass emissions with aftermarket pipe & free mods...or does it need to be left in 100% stock form to pass emissions?
The only way I'm sure of for plating a dirt bike is if you get a dealer to install a DS kit, on a brand new bike, and have them get the title when they transfer the bike to you. My local Honda shop manager told me they could do it and had done it in times past.
Used bikes are going to be very iffy. I've thought about trying it but I don't have the cash to put down on a bike I may not be able to use as I intended to.

EDIT: Be especially wary of CL ads that state, "the bike has a dual sport kit installed(or comes with one). You just need to go to the DMV and get a title." I've seen at least two ads written exactly like that. Yeah, if its that easy why doesn't the seller already have the title in hand.

Lying POS's

bwalsh screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 02:07 PM