ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,176
I have a friend who inspects bikes at a local dealership. I'm going to put tags on my KTM450XCRW. VA req's are horn (audible from 50' or something), Hi/low headlight, DOT tires, front and rear brake switch and speedo. For a horn I was going to use a hand-held air horn, but it's included in the kit from Sicass Racing. The bike has a PA title, so I shouldn't have any trouble getting a tag for it. My advice would be the smaller the DMV office the better. They don't tend to raise so many questions.
Just smile and wave!
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '76 Husky 360WR/CR,
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Thanks for chiming in!

What does the PA title say? I'll assume it doesn't have "for off road use" on it?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
B. Myers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1paddler View Post
Would love to know the outcome! Please do let us know.

So when I was at the DMV getting my title issued, I also explained my situation to the lady (i'm converting a dirtbike to streetlegal and need to eventually get it titled), asking her what I need to do. While she didn't seem completely sure of herself, she did reference the "reconstructed vehicle" information that an earlier poster provided a link to. Also she took about 10 minutes and , on DMV letterhead, she typed ujp the same in writing (the letter also includes my "customer" name and her "teller" name FYI). Here's what is says:

"In order to complete your transaction(s), DMV will require the following documentation:

Other: 1) Ownership document and bills of sale for frame, body, engine, transmission, or front end assembly (2) Notarized statement stating how the motorcycle was constructed (3) Submit multiple pictures of the completed motorcycle; must show at least the front and side of the motorcycle. (4) Submit 17A application (5) Mail to Virginia DMV, vehicle branding work center, PO Box 27412, Richmond, V 23269

When you return, please bring the following:
1. All of the documents you presented on your first visit
2. The additional documents/information listed above
3. Required fees.
4. This form."

All that said...it is entirely possible that she doesn't "compeletely" know what she's talking about and I get denied somewhere else along the way, BUT for now...this is the route I'm going to take.

EDIT: I specifically asked for this in writing. She didn't just take that initiative and type it up for me. Additionally, the form has her managers (DMV site manager) signature on it.
K1..how is this process coming?
B. Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #19
Chessie-Owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I am thinking about trying to plate a crf450 at the moment and convert it to a supermoto. I would be very interested in finding out what happens.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
porterrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
CR 250R tagged in Virginia?

Quote:
Would love to know the outcome! Please do let us know.

So when I was at the DMV getting my title issued, I also explained my situation to the lady (i'm converting a dirtbike to streetlegal and need to eventually get it titled), asking her what I need to do. While she didn't seem completely sure of herself, she did reference the "reconstructed vehicle" information that an earlier poster provided a link to. Also she took about 10 minutes and , on DMV letterhead, she typed ujp the same in writing (the letter also includes my "customer" name and her "teller" name FYI). Here's what is says:

"In order to complete your transaction(s), DMV will require the following documentation:

Other: 1) Ownership document and bills of sale for frame, body, engine, transmission, or front end assembly (2) Notarized statement stating how the motorcycle was constructed (3) Submit multiple pictures of the completed motorcycle; must show at least the front and side of the motorcycle. (4) Submit 17A application (5) Mail to Virginia DMV, vehicle branding work center, PO Box 27412, Richmond, V 23269

When you return, please bring the following:
1. All of the documents you presented on your first visit
2. The additional documents/information listed above
3. Required fees.
4. This form."

All that said...it is entirely possible that she doesn't "compeletely" know what she's talking about and I get denied somewhere else along the way, BUT for now...this is the route I'm going to take.

EDIT: I specifically asked for this in writing. She didn't just take that initiative and type it up for me. Additionally, the form has her managers (DMV site manager) signature on it.
Let us know how the process goes.

The scooter that I'm currently trying to plate in Va. is an '87 CR250R that I bought new in Ga. The Manufacturer's Statement of Origin says "Off Road Only" at the bottom. The last time I tried to get a title from the DMV, they turned me away because I didn't have the bill of sale. They also said that the "Off Road Only" notation was a problem. I never bothered to try again, but I'd really like to plate this bike.

For what it's worth, several of my retired race bikes were titled & tagged in Virginia between 10-35 years ago. These included a used '74 Maico Enduro that I bought in Ga. & a used '79 Husky WR390 that I bought in Va. Both had titles without the "Off Road Only" inscription.

An '81 Maico 490 & an '82 Husky XC250 that I bought new were also plated in Va. The Maico was bought in N.C. & the Husky was bought in Va. Before purchasing either of these, I made sure that the dealer would give me a title without the "Off Road Only" inscription.

I had to swap the lighting coil from my '74 Maico to the '81 to power the lights, but other than this, I had no problems getting any of these 4 scooters tagged & inspected for highway use in Va.

The CR250R should be far safer on the road than any of the 4 bikes listed above. The brakes on the CR are very good, while the bikes listed above all had brakes that would fade badly when trying to stop quickly from 60+ mph. With the wide ratio gearbox, the 390 would go so scary fast that I retrofitted a disc from a Honda 400F street bike.

Anyway, I've been stymied by the paperwork to legalize the CR so far. If the paperwork issues look encouraging, I have a quiet muffler, a 30 watt lighting coil, hi-lo lights, horn, stop/brake light & stop light switches that are waiting to be installed.

The CR turned 25 years old recently which should qualify it for Antique tags. Does anyone know if the antique route will make the tagging process easier?
porterrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #21
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterrad View Post

The scooter that I'm currently trying to plate in Va. is an '87 CR250R that I bought new in Ga. The Manufacturer's Statement of Origin says "Off Road Only" at the bottom.
Seems like it is a crap shoot. I plated an 03 CR250R here in Virginia about a year and a half ago without any problem. I bought it new from a Virginia dealer in 2003. I presented the Certificate of Origin, purchase paperwork I got from the dealer, insurance card, paid the sales tax (probably for a second time), and walked out with a plate and a paper title.

I did not ask any questions about the process or get chatty about what I wanted to do. Maybe that is a red flag. I just said I wanted to register this motorcycle and get a plate.

Edit - Added info
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #22
K1paddler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterrad View Post
I did not end up following this process for fear I would be denied in the end (I found another thread where someone went through all this trouble to be told that "we dont do this anymore"). Like many folks have suggested, and done successfully, I walked into a (different) DMV and told them I wanted to register my dual sport motorcycle. Like the previous poster, I didn't get chatty or offer any other information. I walked out with tags. I'm just about finished ds'ing the bike now...with no worries that the money I've spent has been for nothing.
K1paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #23
porterrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
I did not end up following this process for fear I would be denied in the end (I found another thread where someone went through all this trouble to be told that "we dont do this anymore"). Like many folks have suggested, and done successfully, I walked into a (different) DMV and told them I wanted to register my dual sport motorcycle. Like the previous poster, I didn't get chatty or offer any other information. I walked out with tags. I'm just about finished ds'ing the bike now...with no worries that the money I've spent has been for nothing.
Good Info K1 & DrLax - thanks. I'm going to start carrying my MSO with me as I travel around the state. When I see a DMV without a big waiting line, I'll present my MSO & ask for a title & tags. I'll also try the antique ploy. It may take a few tries, but the worst they can do is send me packing again. If I'm successful - or if I learn anything useful, I'll post again.
porterrad is offline   Reply With Quote