ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,413
To Super Enduro or not to.

I've always wanted a Super Enduro. It been about 5 years or so and I still have not get around to buying one.

6 or so months ago, I purchased an old girl 950 Adventure S with about 76 000km for a very good price and I very happy with her.

I couple of months after that, I bought a 950SM, the complete other side of anything sensible. It goes everywhere on the back wheel and suits my off road riding style on the pavement.

Now, initially, the ADV is my touring steed, although I dont do much of that at the moment. But it still feels good to know that I can hop on and go, whenever I want. So, the Adventure has one duty, distance and lots of gravel. For anything technical, I pull out the XR650R, so Im covered in that department too.

So the otherday, i had a brain fart. Sell the Adventure and buy the Super enduro. Slap on a big tank and I should be sorted. Eitherway Im going to have to throw about $3k on top of the adventure for the SE and then any other additional mods I would need.

Found a SE locally, well setup and I just managed to have it slip through my fingers, but im not too upset about it, because Im still not sure, if I actually need the bike in my stable as bad as I think I do. I did briefly ride it, but was sort of let down with the power, guess I have 2 rather strong 950's in my stable.

So here is my other thought. What If I keep the old girl and throw 3k at her? I was thinking 40l fuel tank, some progressive springs and perhaps a set of 41 FCR's with a rottweiler intake? I would have a bad ass Adventure bike, maybe something that could give me a little bit more value even moreso than the SE?
__________________
06 950S
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider
 
ICERIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Stanley Falkland Islands
Oddometer: 432
Or cheaper way to increase your range and have the weight further back would be to get a Rade's underseat tank (8ltrs) and an Adventure Aux tank (8.5ltrs) with 2 into 1.
__________________
950 SE
WR250R
950 ADV
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
dlrides
1:1.618
 
dlrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Newton NC
Oddometer: 5,327
Sell an Adventure

Buy an SE

Turn SE into an Adventure




?????
__________________
"The BSC was strong in that one, had to get out !"
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider
 
ICERIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Stanley Falkland Islands
Oddometer: 432
Or a rally low exhaust with Guard It sump guard including tool stroage. Also Rottweiler is producing a DogHouse soon for more storage.

May also then have space for storage high on the right side.
__________________
950 SE
WR250R
950 ADV
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
Sell an Adventure

Buy an SE

Turn SE into an Adventure




?????
I see your point.

SE just seems to handle well in the rough stuff.
__________________
06 950S
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICERIDER View Post
Or a rally low exhaust with Guard It sump guard including tool stroage. Also Rottweiler is producing a DogHouse soon for more storage.

May also then have space for storage high on the right side.

Referring to the SE or ADV?
__________________
06 950S
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
SpeedyR
SE in the SE
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: ATL, GA
Oddometer: 842
you didn't mention what kind of riding you plan on doing with the SE? if you plan to use it like the ADV (miles, gravel roads, etc) then just stick with the ADV. it's more comfortable stock and set up for that kind of riding.

if you want to get rid of your 650 and have something (IMHO) similar but more capable of miles, then the SE is what you want.

sure I know you can make an SE into a decent touring bike but to me the SE is about riding harder off road than is normally comfortable for the ADV. if you don't find yourself on the ADV thinking "I wish I could go there easier" or something similar then you are going in the wrong direction.

I have a 450 and my SE and that covers my bases well. I don't have plans for any multi day trips any time soon, but if I need to I can press the SE into that duty, but to me the SE is my big dirt bike. I can ride it to the mountains and then play pretty hard on it and not worry about breaking anything or having the ride to and from the trails suck.

it's a very narrow "niche" bike but it does do a lot of stuff very well...
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
you didn't mention what kind of riding you plan on doing with the SE? if you plan to use it like the ADV (miles, gravel roads, etc) then just stick with the ADV. it's more comfortable stock and set up for that kind of riding.

if you want to get rid of your 650 and have something (IMHO) similar but more capable of miles, then the SE is what you want.

sure I know you can make an SE into a decent touring bike but to me the SE is about riding harder off road than is normally comfortable for the ADV. if you don't find yourself on the ADV thinking "I wish I could go there easier" or something similar then you are going in the wrong direction.

I have a 450 and my SE and that covers my bases well. I don't have plans for any multi day trips any time soon, but if I need to I can press the SE into that duty, but to me the SE is my big dirt bike. I can ride it to the mountains and then play pretty hard on it and not worry about breaking anything or having the ride to and from the trails suck.

it's a very narrow "niche" bike but it does do a lot of stuff very well...

This is exactly why I asked the question. I plan on keeping my XRR, allthough it did cross my mind to flog it, if I had to buy the SE. Long story short, the XRR would still be an easier bike to ride fast because its relatively light in weight.

I can ride my Adventure where I ride the XR, it just takes a lot more effort. Riding the SE would also probably take nearly the same amount of effort, maybe a little less, but its still a big heavy bike, especially with a 30l fuel tank.

I think the choice at the point in time is clear.

If I intend to travel and explore, the Adventure is the better bike. One of my local suppliers also has a large clear Safari in stock. I feel a bonding session coming on.
__________________
06 950S
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider
 
ICERIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Stanley Falkland Islands
Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
So here is my other thought. What If I keep the old girl and throw 3k at her? I was thinking 40l fuel tank, some progressive springs and perhaps a set of 41 FCR's with a rottweiler intake? I would have a bad ass Adventure bike, maybe something that could give me a little bit more value even moreso than the SE?
ADV, based on your final paragraph.

Rade only makes the underseat tank for the 950 Adventure and 990 without ABS as far as I'm aware. He posted on Vendors recently and has a batch for sale.

Rottweiler do the DogHouse for the 990 ADV only at the moment as far as I understand, with one coming 'soon' for the 950 according to their site.
__________________
950 SE
WR250R
950 ADV
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Grinderman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Grinderman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Chico CA, Where the NUTS come from!!
Oddometer: 135
Put the extra money you are willing to spend into the adventure. New suspenders, riser bars, foot pegs. And fuel range option. The adventure is not as far off of the SE as most people think. There are many examples of badasses on the orange crush showing this. The advantage is you can still tour comfortably like you want.
Grinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider
 
ICERIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Stanley Falkland Islands
Oddometer: 432
Although I have a 05.5 950 Adventure in UK I can't really give you an accurate account of what the bike is like on the dirt because all miles have been on pavement.

I also have a 950 Erzberg. It's in Chile where there's plenty of off-road, gravel etc, and I can tell you that it feels good in that kind of going and also good enough on pavement.. I have a Safari 30Ltr tank to fit so I don't know yet how it will feel with that weight up front. Suspension is standard so I'm wondering how it would feel if that was tuned etc etc. The wish list goes on!

In your position I'd always be hankering after the SE, but if you are looking at value for money then I think you could do well by getting the ADV to your taste. The SE that you would get would most likely require almost the same mods to get it to your likeing.

Don't know.
__________________
950 SE
WR250R
950 ADV
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinderman View Post
Put the extra money you are willing to spend into the adventure. New suspenders, riser bars, foot pegs. And fuel range option. The adventure is not as far off of the SE as most people think. There are many examples of badasses on the orange crush showing this. The advantage is you can still tour comfortably like you want.

Look the 950 is pretty kitted at this point. I've got a damper, with risers, crash bars, fastway footpegs, gel seat and a nice luggage rack.

In all fairness, this bike only needs more range (I have a kolpin, but that only gets used every now and then)

The WP suspension is great, but progressives would turn the bike around.
__________________
06 950S
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer
 
steveWFL's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
Sell an Adventure

Buy an SE

Turn SE into an Adventure




?????

^^^^that
__________________
KTM EXC - in 530 flavor
'10 Concours14 with >85,000 miles and ticking'
'99 ZX9R Ninja - rolling retro style
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider
 
ICERIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Stanley Falkland Islands
Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
Look the 950 is pretty kitted at this point. I've got a damper, with risers, crash bars, fastway footpegs, gel seat and a nice luggage rack.

In all fairness, this bike only needs more range (I have a kolpin, but that only gets used every now and then)

The WP suspension is great, but progressives would turn the bike around.
Nearly there in that case.
__________________
950 SE
WR250R
950 ADV
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
loph917
Beard Bros Racing
 
loph917's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: state of pain and confusion
Oddometer: 4,544
i wouldn't bother. they suck. fuckin' ktm.


__________________
[ this space for rent ]
loph917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014