Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
i wouldn't bother. they suck. fuckin' ktm.

You shit stirrer you!
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,263
Something else to ponder...

Do you like carrying extra weight on your trips, like having hard cases, top case, pillion? If so... answer has to be Adv.

If not, SE may be your option... unless it's too close to your XRR. Repetitive in bikes is a waste of garage space.

This is an LC8 lovers biggest dilemma!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
IMO they are both great bikes.
If the SE had a much tighter steering radius I would say, go that way.
In real off road performance with both bikes setup well, there really isn't that much difference, no doubt the se loyalist will say BS, But I have yet to see an Se do anything I cant do as fast or faster on my ADV. Plus I get the added bonus of a little more room and long ride comfort.
The ADV could use some weight biased towards the back, that is really the biggest diff.
The ADv has a much better rear shock, an expensive upgrade for an SE

Suspension Valving will be the best thing you can do for your ADV, it will turn the bike around. IMO talk with Konflict suspension and keep the ADV.
But it certainly would be nice to have both
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
ADV67
Alsace rider

Oddometer: 94
Get the SE, sell the ADV and never look back.
This is what I did, after riding a 1200 GSA and a KTM ADV for a couple of years. I have no regrets, the SE is way more fun, is lighter and is a good travel bike with a 30L Safari tank and a luggage rack and/or some Giantloop bags.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Do you like carrying extra weight on your trips, like having hard cases, top case, pillion? If so... answer has to be Adv.

If not, SE may be your option... unless it's too close to your XRR. Repetitive in bikes is a waste of garage space.

This is an LC8 lovers biggest dilemma!
Repetitive. Yea I have that issue with 3 super motos in the garage.

I only ride with my giant loop. I love the comfort of the adv at 90 mph. It will sit there all day with no wind to blow me around.

I've really taken inspiration from our local adv guru kamanya with his fuel tanker on 2 wheels. I'm yet to see him turn around on the trails because it got too rough.

I just don't want to buy the super enduro just for the sake of buying it and still have to throw a ton of cash at it to get it to a travel spec. I'd have to by a big tank for it to start with as most of our rides are 300km and up, sometimes without fuel in that 300k range.

What I want is a bike I can travel and explore with. Mostly solo but sometimes 2 up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 12-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,501
The SE rides/handles differently than the ADV, mainly because of a couple factors like swing arm length, effective steering angle, weight distribution and seat location. Both SE and ADV can greatly be improved from stock when it comes to suspension. I have ridden both, yes the SE is lighter, if you are going to beat on the SE you will NEED to replace the rear shock, or the constant rebuilds will kill your bank acct. The ADV does carry more on the front, but with proper springs and valving the handling problems assoc'd can be mitigated. I do like that the ADV carries the fuel load lower rather than up high like the SE does, especially made worse when going with a Safari tank. In both situations, Safari tanks on SE or ADV, I recommend putting fuel cell foam in them to reduce the MASSIVE sloshing around of fuel that happens when they are ~75-50% full.

I have spent more time on a ADV, ridden things that I would have ridden my 300EXC on (but not the really nasty stuff) for short distances. The SE probably would have been slightly easier to ride the same trails just because of suspension travel, less weight, and slightly quicker turn characteristics. One of the major bonuses with the SE is that when it hits the ground less will break and fall off. The down side is the SE tends to wiggle its head at speed (~80MPH) with certain tire and weight combinations.

I recently went thumper (KTM 690 Enduro/RR setup for long distance etc), then went back to a 950 ADV with plans for a 552cc RFS motored EXC as my 'small' do everything/go anywhere bike.... The ADV has been transformed more toward a street going ADV, still have the 21/18 wheels/tires, but has SD header etc...
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #22
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
The SE rides/handles differently than the ADV, mainly because of a couple factors like swing arm length, effective steering angle, weight distribution and seat location. Both SE and ADV can greatly be improved from stock when it comes to suspension. I have ridden both, yes the SE is lighter, if you are going to beat on the SE you will NEED to replace the rear shock, or the constant rebuilds will kill your bank acct. The ADV does carry more on the front, but with proper springs and valving the handling problems assoc'd can be mitigated. I do like that the ADV carries the fuel load lower rather than up high like the SE does, especially made worse when going with a Safari tank. In both situations, Safari tanks on SE or ADV, I recommend putting fuel cell foam in them to reduce the MASSIVE sloshing around of fuel that happens when they are ~75-50% full.

I have spent more time on a ADV, ridden things that I would have ridden my 300EXC on (but not the really nasty stuff) for short distances. The SE probably would have been slightly easier to ride the same trails just because of suspension travel, less weight, and slightly quicker turn characteristics. One of the major bonuses with the SE is that when it hits the ground less will break and fall off. The down side is the SE tends to wiggle its head at speed (~80MPH) with certain tire and weight combinations.

I recently went thumper (KTM 690 Enduro/RR setup for long distance etc), then went back to a 950 ADV with plans for a 552cc RFS motored EXC as my 'small' do everything/go anywhere bike.... The ADV has been transformed more toward a street going ADV, still have the 21/18 wheels/tires, but has SD header etc...
This tells me to keep my 950, spend some school fees and end up with the perfect travel bike.

Im going to have to throw at least 3k extra on a SE and then an additional 2k on sorting that out.

Why not just throw the 3k at the Adventure and save 2k? It wont be a super enduro, but I still have my XRR if things get crazy.

Id like to drop the gearing to a 16-45 too.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #23
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

For what its worth, this is my platform.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
For what its worth, this is my platform.

Very nice

the blue/org ADV 'S' is one of my all time favorites. Black is faster

Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #25
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Had Both

Started with an SE, love that bike but seamed to be doing a lot more longer trips and the SE was just a bit cramped and long fast stretches on the pavement were a chore just seemed like the front end was a bit twitchy. Have the 990 with S suspension now have 0 intention of ever selling it or going back as mentioned by Daryl I have done all the same riding on the Adv as I did on the SE both times people on dirt bikes thought I was crazy but they did it no issue.
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post

Right on the money. Your story is my story.

Dropped my XRR and my 300EXC for a 2012 500EXC. Big 5.5 gal tank gives about 300 mile range. Cush drive hub and tall gearing. Can swap it all back to stock in 20 minutes.

That bike is a great combo with the 990 Adv. More wheels with the 19/17 wheel set and 17th cs sprocket and huge windshield. Can swap street to knobbies in 20 minutes. Only do this twice a year.

I think the XRR and the 950SE are very close in ability. The XRR gets a big edge off-road and the SE the slight edge on-road. My push to get ride of the XRR was that Oregon is iffy on licensing dirt bikes. I'm afraid they would change their mind and pull the plates.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 534
It's like having a hot neighbor, every time you take your girlfriend for a ride you wish she was your neighbor....

It's always greener on the other side but life is short and the SE is now checked off my bucket list and I can't see ever selling her.

Did an 8 day, 1800 mile camping trip on the SE and with Wolfman dry saddlebags and a small duffle - I comfortably had every thing I needed.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #28
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
you didn't mention what kind of riding you plan on doing with the SE? if you plan to use it like the ADV (miles, gravel roads, etc) then just stick with the ADV. it's more comfortable stock and set up for that kind of riding.

if you want to get rid of your 650 and have something (IMHO) similar but more capable of miles, then the SE is what you want.

sure I know you can make an SE into a decent touring bike but to me the SE is about riding harder off road than is normally comfortable for the ADV. if you don't find yourself on the ADV thinking "I wish I could go there easier" or something similar then you are going in the wrong direction.

I have a 450 and my SE and that covers my bases well. I don't have plans for any multi day trips any time soon, but if I need to I can press the SE into that duty, but to me the SE is my big dirt bike. I can ride it to the mountains and then play pretty hard on it and not worry about breaking anything or having the ride to and from the trails suck.

it's a very narrow "niche" bike but it does do a lot of stuff very well...
Spot on. I did a loop yesterday south of Tucson on my 990 with Maxvert. (He is one helluva rider) Mostly dirt and fast. Today did a different loop in the same area on my SE with a bunch of GS guys. Rode way faster and harder on the SE which is super fun. By the way, Head2wind, who also responded to you, set up my SE. It's awesome.
They are both incredible bikes.
'82 Honda CT 110
'09 KTM 950 SE Erzberg
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #29
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
I've had an 06 950 ADV S, 950SM, and I'm on my 2nd SE....the SE will make you grin from ear to ear every time you ride it.

It is totally ridiculous stupid fun ! !
2007 KTM Super Enduro - Sold - HUGE Mistake letting it go
2006 KTM Adventure S - Sold / 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto - Sold
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #30
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

I've just been contacted by a guy who wants to sell me his Rallye project.

In transformation phase, but all the oem goodies are there just to be put back together.

I might hit this... its so tempting.