Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #46
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
This weekend centered around the engine. Here is a pic of the upper crank half waiting for it's parts along side the triples bible, Glenn's Manual. Even though I have done a few of these motors having a quality manual to reassemble step by step is a big help. Kind of like a Pilot's checklist, you don't forget stuff when you follow it. And hell, after Saturday night I'm surprised I remembered I had a build to work on Sunday.

[/IMG]

Everything set into the case and ready for assembly. The things to watch out for on these bikes are the transmission shaft locator pins and the k/start spring tang, hence, another good reason to follow the manual. Resplitting cases is a royal PIA.

[/IMG]

A neat detail is the new nuts and lock washers for the engine assembly. The old ones are pretty crapped up and even though hardly anyone will see them it is a nice detail.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
przjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #47
przjohn OP
Adventurer

The motor then got set into the frame. It actually went in before this picture. The top end and clutch side were added after it was in the frame which is much easier.

[/IMG]

The carbs, air boot, and air box assembly then got mounted. These carbs are the biggest PIA. They control idle by a pin that is attached to the carb top and then to the slide parallel with the throttle cable. Assembly is best done away from small children and those easily offended by sexually explicit verbiage relating to mothers. Even a small bend in the pin can cause a carb to lock up. There had to be few guys that have had these things lock WFO. If they were built like this today it would be a Lawyer's dream bike. Thank God Mikuni came to their senses.

[/IMG]

And then the big event for the weekend was the mounting of the reproduction pipes. They mounted up surprisingly well with just a minimal amount of drilling, pushing, pulling, squeezing, and gasps of, "Wow, that was lucky". These pipes really pop and make this resto!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Since the pipes were being mounted the stands went on with new springs and the side stand got a new bolt and nut as well. That is it for another couple weeks as I must travel again. The only chrome came in from Pauls' Chrome in PA and that was the chain guard. It came out great and will be mounted soon. Next step will be to mount the bars and controls and then start the bike off a Motion Pro bottle with fingers crossed. Time to also rattle the Painter's cage and see how far we are from getting the tins back.

[/IMG]
Old 02-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #48
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 542
Mercy, it's beautiful already.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #49
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,413
That is a thing of beauty, Brand new pipes, where did You get them?
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #50
1 wheel peel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by przjohn View Post
A neat detail is the new nuts and lock washers for the engine assembly. The old ones are pretty crapped up and even though hardly anyone will see them it is a nice detail.
[/IMG]
Very Nice!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #51
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
That is a thing of beauty, Brand new pipes, where did You get them?
They are reproduction Doremi pipes and are very nice. They came from Midatlantic Cycles.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #52
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by przjohn View Post
They are reproduction Doremi pipes and are very nice. They came from Midatlantic Cycles.

Thanks
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #53
przjohn OP
Adventurer

The paint is done and I will be picking it up this afternoon. Larry Kilgore, a fellow member of the dirt bike club I belong to, The CT Ramblers, did a fantastic job! Thank You very much Larry. I can't wait to get these tins on the bike this weekend.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #54
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Wow!
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #55
przjohn OP
Adventurer

This was one of those weekends where a lot got done but there just didn't seem to be enough time. This is my favorite part of a project, when it all starts coming together. You don't want to leave the shop. First up are pics of where the bike is at. Fenders are mounted, tail light on, signals on, meters and bars on, front brake almost complete, there was a little problem there but more on that in a sec.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #56
przjohn OP
Adventurer

I really can't bitch about set backs on this project so something had to be expected. After getting all the front brake components together, and this is the bitch, BLED! I saw this under the caliper. As I was telling someone, if you don't like doing things over again, sometimes a few times, restoring old bikes may not be for you.

[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #57
przjohn OP
Adventurer

I stumbled upon something that worked well for me on rubber parts. The meter visors had some sun damage, or something on them that I could not get rid of. I ordered another set off Ebay and as is sometimes with Ebay they weren't for the correct year. I ended up using Mothers Back to Black and Steel Wool. You would think the steel wool would produce a dull finish but this method did a great job. I also used it on some electical covers of the wiring harness. Here is a pic of the meters mounted and a before and after of a harness cover.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #58
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Also started on the wiring harness. In order to replace the hardened and cracked plastic cover that runs from the frame to the headlight shell the harness must be disassembled. If you are going to disassemble it you might as well install new connectors and many times you have to. It can be a little tricky as the factory is pretty exact sometimes with wire length and doesn't leave much to spare. I cut the connectors open with a razor and cut them close to the original crimp. This allows about only a 1/4 inch loss of wire. Bullet connectors can be directly replaced. Plug style can be taken apart with a Eyeglass Screwdriver and bending the spring tab inside the connector. Once this is done the connector itself can be replaced and installed back into the OEM plug, or you can use a new plug. This gives you all new electrical connections on the harness. So, where do you get this stuff? Vintage Connections has everything to make connections just like the factory did including plug ins too. They also sell the plastic sheathing for the harness and other wiring. Here are some pics of the harness before and about half way done. Ran out of time yesterday so I still have one end to finish up. It will look brand new when done and have all new connections.That's it for this week. Hopefully we will see smoke from those pipes soon.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 03-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #59
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Wow that looks great, maybe I'll see you on the road, I'm just over in Broad Brook.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #60
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
Wow that looks great, maybe I'll see you on the road, I'm just over in Broad Brook.
That's where I grew up. Well, Windsorville actually, but we did get to go to the major Metropolis of Broad Brook on special occasions.