Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #61
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
We are getting there. This weekend concentrated on the electrics. The wiring harness was completed and installed. The points and condensers were replaced and the timing set. Here is a pic of my battery of choice, Anti Gravity. I love the Lithium batteries because you can toss your Battery Tender, no vent tube, no acid stained exhaust, no refilling the cells, less weight, and you can mount it anywhere anyway. This battery has way more punch than this bike needs but I had it on hand and it fit nicely. Oh, and here is a nice plus, Anti Gravity is a MADE IN THE USA PRODUCT!!!

[/IMG]
przjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #62
przjohn OP
Adventurer

I forgot how much I hated points and have been spoiled by CDI. There should be a required class in high school to teach patience, around the Sophmore Year called, "Multi Cylinder Points Installation" No easy distributor stuff, just points and timing. If you are one of those folks who thinks that technology has gone too far, grab a bike with 3 sets of points, you'll change your mind. Here is a pic of a half days work setting points with a cylinder dial indicator. The timing was so far off on this bike it scared me a bit. But then I noticed all the screwdriver marks and remembered that this is a points bike so screwing around in the ignition cover is common place. Oh, did I mention how much fun it is to find those little circlips they put on these bikes on the floor? Good news is, after test, all 3 cylinders are sparking a nice Blue.

[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #63
przjohn OP
Adventurer

The front brake problem got addressed too. The kit I used to rebuild the caliper was a Kawasaki components kit. I figured that would be better kit than an aftermarket? I ended up getting a K&L kit like all the others I've used and it worked fine, no leaks.

[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #64
przjohn OP
Adventurer

The bike came with an extremely rare "Bailing Wire" Battery Door. I felt it needed more of a stock look so an NOS door was installed. The Antigravity battery kit comes with foam in different thicknesses that are used to secure the battery in the box once the door is closed. I did go a little more high tech with a plug in fuse holder that lined up pretty good with the old glass tube type hanger on the door. Purists be damned, those points pissed me off and I'm adding some 80's technology here!

[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #65
przjohn OP
Adventurer

A wiring harness pic here. I admit I cheated on this one because nobody sees it, but I still wanted a clean look. The OEM coil mounts were Yellow Chromate but I didn't want to go thru the plating process and then Chromate. I ended up wire wheeling them clean and then Yellow Chromate, which came out just fine. Connectors were replaced and the rubber boots got the Back to Black treatment.Turns out I think I found out why this bike got parked back in the late 70's. The center cylinder coil wires had chafed thru against the clutch cable and the center cylinder must have stopped firing. Simple fix but it was peobably one of those deals where the bike gets parked with all good intentions of getting to it and 35 years go by.

[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #66
przjohn OP
Adventurer

A few pics of how she sits now. All lights, horn, etc. work. All three plugs spark so this bike is getting close to blowing smoke. I will be traveling next weekend but the time table looks good for Deals Gap in the beginning of May.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #67
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,521
Impressive build! The detail works puts you in the Michelangelo class!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #68
RickS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Nice. Very nice!
RickS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #69
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,478
Very nice. Best way to set a triples timing is with a dial gauge.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #70
przjohn OP
Adventurer

Back at it again this weekend. I have family obligations so not as much as I would have liked got done. I guess I could have snuck out early. "Hey Mom, I know it's your birthday but I got a build coming together". This weekend was a dirty one cleaning and polishing cases. The cases need to get done before I can move on to starting the motor and getting foot controls hooked up. It is a thankless dirty job, but pays off big with lots of pop. These cases were cleaned in the parts washer, then bead blasted, then scrathes and mars were blended out, re-blasted, sanded to 600 Wet, Tripoli polished on a sewn wheel, and then Jewlers Rouge on an open wheel. Here is a before pic. A buddy stopped by today and saw them before and commented about how crappy they looked.

[/IMG]

Here is the clutch side cover after being cleaned, bead blasted, and then having the brake pedal marks and some other scratches blended out with a 2" Medium Scotch Wheel. The marks came completely out. The Points Cover had a nice dig that I didn't know if it would come out completely but it did and you would never know where it was.

[/IMG]

Here is the after pic.

[/IMG]

For the lettering I use a hi temp gloss black paint and a pencil thin artist brush. I also have a teeshirt rag stretched tight on a sanding blocking dampened with Aceytone in case there is a screw up. I do have a secret weapon that helps with a steady hand on the artist brush, and here is a pic of that too. Just a little is all you need. Too much and you forget you are building a bike and head off to the local Tittie Bar.

[/IMG]
Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #71
przjohn OP
Adventurer

The clutch cover got mounted with oil pump and tach drive. The NOS rear brake pedal got installed with cable, and the foot pegs went on. These are Stat O Seals that are used on the oil pump banjo fittings. They replace the Aluminum washers that come stock and are a one time use seal. These seals have a rubber lining and can be reused. Many pumps get ruined from stripped bolts or have leaking lines from reusing the original washers.

[/IMG]

A mistake I have made before is mounting the pump before attaching the cable to the case. It is a real biatch to do it after the pump is on.

[/IMG]

If you can get NOS it is usually as expensive as a rechrome but you don't have the lead time. The brake lever and shift lever are NOS. The K/Start is still in good shape and will be reused. Since most of these bikes had common brake and shift levers there is still a few out there.

[/IMG]
Old 03-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #72
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Awesome build, coming together very nicely, I'll be following this one. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with some Jagermeister and the tittie bar.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #73
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Very well done!
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #74
MikeGayner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
You are a true artist, I'm speechless. Great work.
MikeGayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #75
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,419
That..is a Thing of beauty!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote