ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
A little of praise...

Today, after six months of traveling down the American continent, I realised just how incredible my bike is off road! So much so, that I thought it a good idea to share my thoughts on it. Why? You ask? Because just last week, I'd gotten infected by the 'upgrade' bug and was fully considering getting the new 1190 Adv R for the second year of the trip. My reasoning was that my current bike was simply to off road oriented considering that 80% of the trip so far has been on tarmac. And that's with taking every realistic opportunity to go off road.

Then today happened! And I re-noticed just how fantastic my bike is off pavement. Just how effortless it is to drive through soft sand, steep rocky slopes, even picking it up when you go over your skill limit...

That's when I realised where the fun of this trip happens: off road! Not on pavement. The non-offroad part of the trip is still great, but it has very little to do with the bike, its more the countries, the scenery, the people, etc. The bike has very little impact. It's just a means to an end.

So switching to a bigger bike would be a real dumb ass move. On my current bike, a day that goes from tarmac to gravel to moon craters and back to tarmac can be summarised by: 'nice..' then 'Oh fun...' followed by 'Excellent!' and finally 'that was a cool'. Add a hundred pounds of bike and I'm thinking it would be more along the lines of: 'nice...' then 'Oh fun...' followed by 'Oh boy (with a grin)...' shortly followed by 'god i'm tired!' and finally 'thank god for pavement!'

So why did i spend five minutes of my RTW typing this up? Two reasons:

- For those of you looking at selecting what bike to take for a long trip and thinking of a big bike (this being the ktm twin neighbourhood): think hard on what part 'off roading' will be in your trip. Lighter IS much better off road. But, I admit, not so on pavement.

- The bike's been so good to me for the last 50,000km that I just had to sign it's praise at least once in public and my Spanish is not good enough to just grab random person off the street here, South America, and bore them to death with the marvel that's my bike!

And here is the bike...

(yes, that's a guitar at the back...)

Umarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
CRW
I dont want a pickle

Oddometer: 795
Stick with the 640!!! I miss mine a lot! Thought the 950 would be better, but it's just different! You find better people where ther is less pavement! I do love my 950 tho....
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umarth View Post
.......Lighter IS much better off road.
"better" is relative.
Lighter. Hmmm...

easier to ride? probly.
easier to recover when you make mistakes? probly.
easier to pick up? probly
As big of a RUSH when you do it all right?
.... probly....NOT!!

So...smaller is not neccessarily "better". Just different and easier. Not that there's anything wrong with that But, thank goodness EVERY bike is better for somebody
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
"better" is relative.
Lighter. Hmmm...

As big of a RUSH when you do it all right?
.... probly....NOT!!
I don't follow your reasoning. Is its bigger rush because it's so much harder to do on heavier bike? You just lend credence to my POV: the larger bikes can do it to, but tired you out faster. What takes a skill level of five on a 450, takes a skill level of 9/10 on a 990/1200. And that WILL tired you out faster.

On a long trip, when you don't know how long road is going to be shit, you need to manage your fatigue level. As for potsing around the local trails, none of my argument is relevant as far as I'm concerned. Any bike will make you grin stupidly for an hour in trails. After 10hrs of it, it's an other story...

Umarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,329
Quote:
Is its bigger rush because it's so much harder to do on heavier bike?
Yes. For me.
When I get it right, it's bliss.
When I get it wrong, it's time to do it better.

Quote:
.....takes a skill level of 9/10 on a 990....
This is pretty much precisely what satisfies me, for 4 hours and for 10 hours, on a day-trip, or on a 3-week trip. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to take a longer trip than 3 weeks on the bike, so maybe I would get tired of it after say....3-6 months of non-paved abuse. But I kinda doubt it; it's been a long 6+ year relationship that gets consistently more abusive and difficult and challenging every time I ride it. And,,,,I really like it that way . The challenge feeds my soul. If I were 60-70 or fat and out of shape, I'd likely also feel that lighter is better. But I'm almost 50, and riding this big orange girl aggressively on the worst roads I can find absolutely gives me the biggest thrill and the most excitement my mostly average life has ever had. The alternatives to this particular type of thrill feeding my mid-life crisis would...well...would likely NOT be "better"

I was only politely arguing about the ONE very classic stereotypical statement that "lighter is better" and suggesting that it is open to very wide interpretation...and I'm kinda tired about hearing so many people say that I "need" a smaller bike to ride what and where I like to ride most. I don't want my riding to be easier, I want it to be more challenging. What is "better" is different for everyone, because everyone's perceived "needs" are different. I certainly was not attempting to put down your very valid opinion, because it is surely good advice for the majority of people/riders. But, I could imagine taking no other bike to Ride (Rock) MY World.

My main point is simply this.....
Quote:
..... thank goodness EVERY bike is better for somebody
For me, "better" is what feeds my soul.
Whatever my soul is hungry for.

I'm sincerely very glad you believe your bike is best for Riding the World.
....That's exactly the way it should be
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)

Apple Jam screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 09:25 AM
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Iflylo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Yes. For me.
When I get it right, it's bliss.
When I get it wrong, it's time to do it better.

This is pretty much precisely what satisfies me, for 4 hours and for 10 hours, on a day-trip, or on a 3-week trip. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to take a longer trip than 3 weeks on the bike, so maybe I would get tired of it after say....3-6 months of non-paved abuse. But I kinda doubt it; it's been a long 6+ year relationship that gets consistently more abusive and difficult and challenging every time I ride it. And,,,,I really like it that way . The challenge feeds my soul. If I were 60-70 or fat and out of shape, I'd likely also feel that lighter is better. But I'm almost 50, and riding this big orange girl aggressively on the worst roads I can find absolutely gives me the biggest thrill and the most excitement my mostly average life has ever had. The alternatives to this particular type of thrill feeding my mid-life crisis would...well...would likely NOT be "better"

I was only politely arguing about the ONE very classic stereotypical statement that "lighter is better" and suggesting that it is open to very wide interpretation...and I'm kinda tired about hearing so many people say that I "need" a smaller bike to ride what and where I like to ride most. I don't want my riding to be easier, I want it to be more challenging. What is "better" is different for everyone, because everyone's perceived "needs" are different. I certainly was not attempting to put down your very valid opinion, because it is surely good advice for the majority of people/riders. But, I could imagine taking no other bike to Ride (Rock) MY World.

My main point is simply this.....

For me, "better" is what feeds my soul.
Whatever my soul is hungry for.

I'm sincerely very glad you believe your bike is best for Riding the World.
....That's exactly the way it should be
This pretty much sums it up for me.......Well said.
Iflylo is offline   Reply With Quote