Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Tiggs OP
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 782
990SD or RC8 motor transplant into 990SM?

This may have already been discussed, but I can't find the threads so, if I had a 990SM or 990SMT, without a motor, would it be possible or even fairly straight forward to fit a 990 Super Duke motor into its frame or would it be even possible to fit an RC8 motor in a 990SM/SMT frame?

Surely someone has done this mod by now somewhere in the world?

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,250
The duke engine is a plug and play. Gearing will be different and you may not like that; SD's have a close ratio gearbox.

A RC8 motor is a huge task with a lot of modifying needed. One inmate has put one in an adventure frame, on my phone and can't search for you.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
roookie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
This may have already been discussed, but I can't find the threads so, if I had a 990SM or 990SMT, without a motor, would it be possible or even fairly straight forward to fit a 990 Super Duke motor into its frame or would it be even possible to fit an RC8 motor in a 990SM/SMT frame?

Surely someone has done this mod by now somewhere in the world?
Look up member Locul on this board, he put a RC8 engine into his 950 Adv, and it is a runner. He might even sell You his engine..
Old 12-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,135
Thank you Rookie and hi, yes its true it can be done.

Mounting the engine and wiring isnt that tough. As an pioneer it takes time. But it takes MORE time if you dont know to weld and Work with wiring. And if you cant "read" a wiring diaphram you should look for help.

If these arent your biggest concern then the best way to start is a complete wrecked(running) RC8(R). Then cannibalize straight over.

Cooling on these should be doable with the 950/990 dual fan system on the original cooler. Though i went with the RC8 cooler. Though there is an oil cooler and waterpump housing which will interfere with your original tanks and you CANT weld them. Have a chat with Pete640. Hes a magician with carbon fiber he may be able to help there or just go for the safaris. They are easely welded.

I were very worried about the engine from an race bike to my touringstyle. Ive got 2500km on the setup now and it Works super great. Loads of grunt and when it goes by the 7600 rpm its like Baja trucking....even more then the original 950. Mine puts out 122 bhp which will be around 145 at rear.

Their is one thing im not satisfied with. The gearbox is just like an SX-F/XC-F. Long first and the rest comes quick. Really good when hauling the mail but in my touring setup i would go for the 1190 Adv( our bikes EXC). Maybe our own 990 Adv could be used. Im still looking into that.

Thing is im tearing my setup Down Again. Not because its wrong more that i got cheated by the guy i bought the engine from. Sadly a german, actual the first german to ever cheat me on ebay(out of ca 1 billion trades). He stated it was an RC8R 09. Its not and i wasnt that good to source these infos when i bought the engine. What ever. Only Money.
Im saving for an RC8R(2012-) which i will split and Mount either 990 or 1190 adv gearbox.
Why 2012. Its a newer engine, it got dualsparks(better combustion), heavyer crank(less racing manners and stronger when plonking along). Actual im only doing this because of the heavyer crank.

With that said, KTM just bombed me with the new Super Duke 1290. If the new crank, piston, rods, cylinders, valves...etc will Work in the RC8 i may be going big on torque. But thats all me, speculating...

I will provide you and others with all info if you start on this matter. Case is you would probably do way better than i.

Hail all Torque

Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,135
Regarding changing some of the frame to make it fit here is some info:

RC8 engine vs 950 original engine/swingarm Mount.

Cut of original mounts

Cut off the last frame trellie.

Make room underneath. No centerstand anymore.

You have to grind a Little to clear the swingarm.

New engine mounts

Remount the purposely bent trelli parts Again.-

Done...
Old 12-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Tiggs OP
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 782
Thankyou for your insight, great to hear from someone that has already done it. Yes, a lot of work modifying the frame etc. Too much for me to tackle I think!

I'll keep an eye out for a 990Adv motor. I forgot about the close gear ratios on the RC8 and Super Duke.

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,498
I replaced the blown engine in my 950 with a 990 from a SMR. I wanted the same ratios as the Adventure.

I was concerned initially after I discovered that there were two different gearboxes for the SMs. I got lucky but check your serial numbers.

It's not that hard except for the fact I had never really seen on of these close up and I got it in a box. I'm still sorting out the jetting.

Did I mentions it hauls mofo ass?
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Loving the seat, in fact loving the whole thing, shame you could not make a fuel tank and run it like that.

Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote