Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #136
MT Wallet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255

Good vids. Thanks. Didn't see any silicone being sprayed.
MT Wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #137
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Wallet View Post
Which makes the tire slicker? Synthetic or dino?
Velveeta!!

Er, Rotella...
Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #138
windypoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post

if you react without thinking, you are panicing and have lost control
This should be a new thread. I have a lot to say about this but not on this thread.
windypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #139
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
http://youtu.be/Uz5Y87vvY_w
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #140
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
Wow, 10 pages on this? Really, even if it is a myth, what's wrong with taking it easy the first 50 or so miles on new tires? This whole thing doesn't seem like an issue to me. In this case, taking the safer course is no trouble at all!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #141
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Louis Wambsganss "I believe the basic process is that the carcass is built up from the belts, chords, rubber blanks, etc, then it is sprayed with silicone and put in a hot press to shape and imprint the stackup into a functional tire."

Tuna. Is this what you're saying? If he's correct I got the concept. Don't do a stealth video if it might jeopardize your job man! But thanks for offering.
Yeah that's pretty much it. I had a long reply tyoed out that explained the process, but deleted it. I should have left it. The process in the video is pretty close, although he is building a much bigger tire than we do, and our process is faster and more automated. Ill get into it later when I get home.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #142
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Which makes the tire slicker? Synthetic or dino?
I think synthetic would be slippery but
not last as long on the tyre.
so value for buck
is dino
as its a stayer
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #143
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
if you react without thinking, you are panicing and have lost control
That's bullshit, not only because panicing requires thinking.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #144
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
8.54 posts per day over 6.5 months
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #145
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Here's a couple videos I found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXjhV2LEpPo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...5t783NZFY#t=90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raBVyM4aJ5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2-ToHXNwrM

That last video, Pirelli, is a bit of a hodgepodge of clips strung together, but is the closest to how we build tires. It starts with a collapsable drum, in which the inner liner is laid first. It is cut automatically, then the drum rotates for the first layer of rubber coated fabric, the operator cuts this manually along a guide. Again the drum rotates, then a second layer of fabric. A sponge roller is pressed against the drum to squeeze out any air and get each layer to stick to each other. Then the bead is set and the fabric is folded over. Some tires get a third layer of fabric, then the drum spins and two rollers fold the last fabric layer over the inside. Finally the sidewall is applied and cut automatically. The operator puts the tire in a splice press before it is sent off to the next machine.
The next machine has a larger drum on which the two layers of steel belts are laid, then a continuous strip of baz is wound around. (Baz is a result of the Ford Exploder issues several years ago. It's a strip of nylon or whatever about an inch wide that is wound several times around to keep the tire from coming apart if the tread separates.) Finally the tread is applied. Next the operator loads the carcass from the other machine. It gets put on two flanges that simulate a car rim. The tread ring is transferred and held around the carcass, and the flanges move inward towards each other and the carcass is inflated until it expands to hold the tread ring. Two wheels are pressed against the tread as the whole assembly spins. It squeezes out the air and makes everything stick to each other. Finally it's unloaded and sent via conveyor to the painter, which sprays the release agent on the green tire.

If I could draw worth a crap I'd do an animation.

Tuna Helper screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 11:13 PM
Old 12-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #146
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Quote:
Good vids. Thanks. Didn't see any silicone being sprayed.
Are you stuck on seeing that? It'll be a week before I can get that, we're shut down for maintenance and upgrades for a week.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #147
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Tuna Helper, you beat me to it!

My Brothers in Law works at Michelin in Ballymena, N. Ireland. One of their jobs is something to do with making, designing or repairing the moulds. My other brother in law works in the production dept. in the same plant. I'll be having Christmas dinner with them tomorrow, and I have no doubt (sadly!) that this thread will be discussed!

I rang one them, to ask if they use silicone release spray on the tyre or mould. It is used on 95% of their tyres. The exception to this, is retreads. During the production of retreads small pinholes are formed in the outer rubber. If the silicone spray gets into these holes it actually eats away at the rubber! To counteract this retreads are made in a specially coated mould which does not use any release spray. The downside is that the coating wears off these special moulds onto the tyres, and the mould has to be re coated which is a nuisance apparently.

They don't make bike tyres at this plant, but he has worked at their plants in France and the US too.

My guess is that the tech is there to make tyres without the coating, but it is easier and cheaper to keep using it?
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #148
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
That's bullshit, not only because panicing requires thinking.
Well, considering "panicing" isn't even a damn word.....................

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 06:20 AM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #149
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
Tuna Helper, you beat me to it!

My Brothers in Law works at Michelin in Ballymena, N. Ireland. One of their jobs is something to do with making, designing or repairing the moulds. My other brother in law works in the production dept. in the same plant. I'll be having Christmas dinner with them tomorrow, and I have no doubt (sadly!) that this thread will be discussed!

I rang one them, to ask if they use silicone release spray on the tyre or mould. It is used on 95% of their tyres. The exception to this, is retreads. During the production of retreads small pinholes are formed in the outer rubber. If the silicone spray gets into these holes it actually eats away at the rubber! To counteract this retreads are made in a specially coated mould which does not use any release spray. The downside is that the coating wears off these special moulds onto the tyres, and the mould has to be re coated which is a nuisance apparently.

They don't make bike tyres at this plant, but he has worked at their plants in France and the US too.

My guess is that the tech is there to make tyres without the coating, but it is easier and cheaper to keep using it?
We don't do retreads, and we don't make bike tires. We had a mold that was coated with some kind of green shit that wasn't supposed to stick to the tire. I don't know if they grabbed tires before they hit the painter or after, but we had sticking issues, so it came out and we sent it off to another plant.

I work for BFGoodrich, I wonder if they'd let me come over and tour that plant? (Michelin owns BFG)
Old 12-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #150
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Well, considering "panicing" isn't even a damn damn word.....................

Panfrosting is the preferred term.