Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #151
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Tuna Helper, I think he said the non stick coating was xylene, he mentioned it being green too.
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #152
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
Tuna Helper, I think he said the non stick coating was xylene, he mentioned it being green too.
Xylene is a solvent, not a release agent. It is clear in color, not green. Nor is it green with regards to environmental impact.

Xylene is a carrier for some of the release agents, particulary the wax types. The wax dissolves in the solvent. The mixture gets wiped onto the molds, and the solvent flash evaporates.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #153
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
That's bullshit, not only because panicing requires thinking.
Panic as a technique.

Only on ADV.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #154
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
... even if it is a myth, what's wrong with taking it easy the first 50 or so miles on new tires?
Nothing. Why, nothing at all!

This whole 'you're ignorant' thing about taking it easy on new tires is mind boggling. Why does any one person care so much about somebody else taking it easy on their new tires?

I've seen race tires that could go live right away and I recently saw a new Pirelli Corsa with so much wax-like material on its surface that it could be scraped off in small pieces. I'm betting that wax was slippery.

I just think it's best to take each situation on a case-by-case basis and let each rider be as informed as need be to make a responsible decision. We are about personal responsibility here, right? After all, we're motorcyclists. We're independent thinkers and we don't need other people thinking for us, right?

Mild rant over. BTW, I use Mobil1 15W-50 in my GS. Any feelings about my choice?

Oh, and we forgot to talk about which brands of Nitrogen to use in our tires. I personally use air, but I hear that my dealer uses really good Nitrogen and not that cheap dollar store stuff.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #155
fahrenheit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
Mild rant over. BTW, I use Mobil1 15W-50 in my GS. Any feelings about my choice?
In bikes or oil?
fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #156
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Panic as a technique.

Only on ADV.

Brake until you panic...and then brake or steer or jump or just do something, but do it now!!! That's how I roll.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #157
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post
In bikes or oil?

I'd have to pick the bike. Otherwise, I wouldn't have to use that ridiculous brand of oil.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #158
Louis Wambsganss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
I recently saw a new Pirelli Corsa with so much wax-like material on its surface that it could be scraped off in small pieces. I'm betting that wax was slippery.
That sounds like the same stuff I had on my set of Metzelers. See posts #12 and 48. This is the first set of tires I've owned with a coating this thick.
Louis Wambsganss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #159
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Oh, and we forgot to talk about which brands of Nitrogen to use in our tires. I personally use air, but I hear that my dealer uses really good Nitrogen and not that cheap dollar store stuff.
I run 78% in mine.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #160
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Wambsganss View Post
That sounds like the same stuff I had on my set of Metzelers. See posts #12 and 48. This is the first set of tires I've owned with a coating this thick.
Thanks for the reminder about your posts. I looked and what I saw in your pic (post #48) is what I saw on that Pirelli. Fortunately, that tire wasn't for me so I didn't feel compelled to scrape it all off. My friend, however, had a strong urge to continue scraping that dung off of his tire once I demonstrated that the waxy stuff could be removed.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #161
MT Wallet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
Are you stuck on seeing that? It'll be a week before I can get that, we're shut down for maintenance and upgrades for a week.
Thanks, I'm good with the explanation. Merry Christmas and enjoy your time off.
MT Wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #162
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 125
This thread is going in a different direction, but I can't help sharing this story replying to this blurred guy.
One of my friends is a professional driver and used to race motorcycles for a living. So no lack of experience in track day's.
So one day he went to a store and had not thought about the fact that he had just put new tires (same make as always) on his Honda VFR a couple of days before and he had not ridden it yet. So when he opened the throttle on the ramp to the freeway the rear tire slipped out from under him (he had taken this ramp a couple of 100 times before) and the bike landed on his foot, he was in a bit of pain, righted the bike and rode home.
Then he couldn't get his boot of, because of the pain and a long story short his ankle was broken and he was not able to work for 6 weeks.

Of course TS is right, new tires are not slippery and a professional driver with tons of experience on a road he had taken a million times under the same circumstances, well he should of course have done even more track days etc...

sphyrnidus screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 05:30 AM
sphyrnidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #163
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,516
Old 12-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #164
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
So you had a friend that said yada yada yada. Sounds like just more crock to me. At least the OP has first hand experience.

There was a time when tires were commonly scrubbed. The last time anybody scrubbed mine was 1998. They were Michelins.

Nobody cares whether you scrub your tires or not. It's the passing on of ignorance as if it were fact that is annoying. Most of the people posting on this thread have no first hand knowledge about whether new tires must be scrubbed or not.

Any cold tire can be slippery. Usually new tires are cold for the first few miles, just as any other tire is cold leaving the garage. At Daytona on chilly mornings the right side of the front tire cools off in the west banking (long course). The "Chicane" is a little left right flip flop turn. It is not uncommon for the little right turn in the chicane to produce lots high of speed lowsides during the first couple laps of morning practice. It is because the right side of the tire cooled off on the banking or never got up to operating temp in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
This thread is going in a different direction, but I can't help sharing this story replying to this blurred guy.
One of my friends is a professional driver and used to race motorcycles for a living. So no lack of experience in track day's.
So one day he went to a store and had not thought about the fact that he had just put new tires (same make as always) on his Honda VFR a couple of days before and he had not ridden it yet. So when he opened the throttle on the ramp to the freeway the rear tire slipped out from under him (he had taken this ramp a couple of 100 times before) and the bike landed on his foot, he was in a bit of pain, righted the bike and rode home.
Then he couldn't get his boot of, because of the pain and a long story short his ankle was broken and he was not able to work for 6 weeks.

Of course TS is right, new tires are not slippery and a professional driver with tons of experience on a road he had taken a million times under the same circumstances, well he should of course have done even more track days etc...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #165
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Wraith covered it well.

That must be the only time Wraith has had someone agree with him, and relying on Wraith as a yes man says quite a good amount about you.

Just take it easy for the first 100 miles, big fucking deal. Yes there may be something in the road and you react the best you can, but if going slow and cautious the chances of being caught off guard are pretty slim. Being tense is a direct input to the wheels, but I'm not tense, just cautious and relaxed, there is a difference. Others have said it, I'll say it again, I call bullshit on you using ad hominem to say that if I ride cautiously for the first 100 miles because I think a tire is slick that I must be a bad rider, believe in witches and Santaria and pray to the evil god Zuul.

When it comes to personal experience versus someone with a long pedigree in a given topic, I will take my personal experience the majority of the time. There are scientific things and of course I trust scientists instead of my opinion, hell the world doesn't look round to me...but if I rub my new tire and it is shiny and slick, no rocket/tire scientist is going to change my mind about how I, NOT YOU, ride the next 100 miles.

You should lurk more and post less. From the few years on this site I've learned a great deal, there is probably 100,000 years of motorcycle riding experience in these threads. I've learned many eye opening tips and tricks from camping to riding etc, but you posting an article from some random guy on the internet is not impressive. You still holding your position of telling others what to do after being put in your place, and being yessed by Wraith, even less so