Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #181
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
I liken it to the car tire thread.

I can't roll my eyes enough at some of the bullshit posted.
Who knew the perfect line meant the perfect line of BS!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #182
TheBlurr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
So by your logic, that will not only make you a poor unsafe rider on new tires, but all the time..

TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #183
TheBlurr OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
The Blurr, I admire your resilience, and loyalty, to a man who made a comment in 2008, in a magazine article that it took you five years to stumble across, but I had lunch with two peple today, that's 2013, who make tyres for a living, at Michelin, and use silicone spray to release them from their moulds.

I know when I'm on my death bed, that I will look back with regret at the several minutes of my life that I have apparently wasted scrubbing in my new tyres, but that's for me to worry about, although I appreciate your concern!
Yea I read the article shortly after it came out, believe it or not this is not the only forum I post on or have been involved in.

And had you read the article you would not have had to have lunch with them to know this.

"and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying. The sidewall is important because you have all the engraving in the sidewall [with tire size, inflation pressure and certifications] and that you want to look nicely on your tire, so that's why we still spray the mold release there."
Old 12-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #184
CRP6001
Photographer

Oddometer: 154
Does Darla recommend scuffing new tires?
CRP6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #185
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP6001 View Post
Nope. She says it'll make you a bad rider, and more likely to wreck if you don't trust your tires...
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #186
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Yea I read the article shortly after it came out, believe it or not this is not the only forum I post on or have been involved in.

And had you read the article you would not have had to have lunch with them to know this.

"and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying. The sidewall is important because you have all the engraving in the sidewall [with tire size, inflation pressure and certifications] and that you want to look nicely on your tire, so that's why we still spray the mold release there."
Ok got you know, I'll give him a call today to clarify if they use it on the tread area, and whether it is applied mechanically or sprayed, perhaps tuna helper could clarify this too from his plant? I will also email Pirelli today to ask them to clarify the discrepancy between their employee Knoche's advice, and their motorcycle tyre guide. If they respond, I'll post it here.
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #187
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Brother in Law replied,

"it's applied all over the mould, sides and tread. It's sprayed with a fan nozzle that spins 360 degrees and coats the whole mould prior to the uncured tyre going in."
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #188
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,757
Quote:
SO basically you are a closed minded fool. who only agrees with what his preconceived notion of "right or wrong" is. Sorry I am not like that at all, I like most of you idgets believed in the "Slick tire nonsense" but it never quit made complete sense to me.
Dude, I feel the tire and it feels slick when new, I don't know what else to say. Hell, it even looks shiny. We aren't talking about preconceived notions of right or wrong, heaven and hell, primal forces of nature Mr. Beale, but the act of looking and feeling a new tire on a bike.

Please tell me again how to expand my mind, I feel chained to Plato's cave.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #189
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,757
Taken from Moses's tablet, or rather the article you are clinging to. Like I said, I don't scrub a tire, just take it easy for a bit, seems to line up with the below pretty well.

"I would say nowadays if the surface looks like new-as long as you don't have contact cleaner on, no soapy water (often used by tire fitters to help slip the bead over the rim) or oil-there should be no concern," said Knoche. But that isn't clearance to simply go for it, either. "For sure a new tire, especially if you change the brand or even get a different production lot, it can be slightly different," Knoche said. "So I think that's more the concern people should have. Maybe with a new set of tires that's a new experience. Get the experience; it's like riding in a brand new car, you don't race around the first corner because you don't know what's going to happen."
Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #190
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Taken from Moses's tablet, or rather the article you are clinging to. Like I said, I don't scrub a tire, just take it easy for a bit, seems to line up with the below pretty well.

"I would say nowadays if the surface looks like new-as long as you don't have contact cleaner on, no soapy water (often used by tire fitters to help slip the bead over the rim) or oil-there should be no concern," said Knoche. But that isn't clearance to simply go for it, either. "For sure a new tire, especially if you change the brand or even get a different production lot, it can be slightly different," Knoche said. "So I think that's more the concern people should have. Maybe with a new set of tires that's a new experience. Get the experience; it's like riding in a brand new car, you don't race around the first corner because you don't know what's going to happen."
I've also bought a new tire from the local HD dealer (only one that had a decent 190 in stock, and I wanted to ride that day) I swear they had sprayed armor all over that tired. I rolled on the throttle pulling out, and the back tire lit up. I even turned right onto the main road cause I was scared to accelerate enough to turn left. It was a Pilot Power 2 if you're wondering. The first ~50 miles or so I was really wanting to go back to the dealership and tell them to take their crap tire back. ANY acceleration resulted in tire spin. But I was meeting up with people. After about 50-60 miles, it was like a switch had been flipped, and I had a real rear tire again.

Granted that was on a 954rr with a lot of engine work done, so it ate back tires for lunch. My old dr650 just didn't care.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #191
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP6001 View Post
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #192
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,747
You don't need to scuff your tires if you have a gremlin bell.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #193
TheBlurr OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
Brother in Law replied,

"it's applied all over the mould, sides and tread. It's sprayed with a fan nozzle that spins 360 degrees and coats the whole mould prior to the uncured tyre going in."

Go to the track, learn how to ride and lose your ridiculous fear.

That is honestly all there is to it

or keep watching other people whats it gonna be?

Quote:
Dude, I feel the tire and it feels slick when new, I don't know what else to say. Hell, it even looks shiny. We aren't talking about preconceived notions of right or wrong, heaven and hell, primal forces of nature Mr. Beale, but the act of looking and feeling a new tire on a bike.

Please tell me again how to expand my mind, I feel chained to Plato's cave
I already covered that I believe on Page two, go back and read
Old 12-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #194
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
Quote:

or keep watching other people whats it gonna be?

I already covered that I believe on Page two, go back and read
Nice straw man, you are out of your damned mind.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #195
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,689
Quote: