Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #196
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Go to the track, learn how to ride and lose your ridiculous fear.

That is honestly all there is to it

or keep watching other people whats it gonna be?

I already covered that I believe on Page two, go back and read

I would like to see your no fear attitude. Show us you are right, you debunked a myth, and then celebrate here afterwards.

Here is what you have to do: A 1 lap race on a circuit.

Same bikes.
You on brand new just installed tires.
Another guy on identical tire, just 50-100 miles of use.

All you need to do is cross the line at the same time as the other guy to be proven right.

Or this could be solved by the "myth busters" series. I think that is a good idea, actually.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #197
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I would like to see your no fear attitude. Show us you are right, you debunked a myth, and then celebrate here afterwards.

Here is what you have to do: A 1 lap race on a circuit.

Same bikes.
You on brand new just installed tires.
Another guy on identical tire, just 50-100 miles of use.

All you need to do is cross the line at the same time as the other guy to be proven right.

Or this could be solved by the "myth busters" series. I think that is a good idea, actually.
He'd have to do it on every brand of tire on every bike made on city streets to convince me.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #198
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Dude, I feel the tire and it feels slick when new, I don't know what else to say. Hell, it even looks shiny. We aren't talking about preconceived notions of right or wrong, heaven and hell, primal forces of nature Mr. Beale, but the act of looking and feeling a new tire on a bike.

Please tell me again how to expand my mind, I feel chained to Plato's cave.
Its still a myth.

When we get new tires at the track I've been known to change rears between sessions, right back out with the stickers still on it, and at full speed. The only thing that new tire needs is heat, no scuffing, no amount of mileage actually matter. Once the tire is up to temp its good to go.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #199
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
The only thing that new tire needs is heat, no scuffing, no amount of mileage actually matter. Once the tire is up to temp its good to go.
Do you have literature from a manufacturer to back uo your opinion?
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #200
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Its still a myth.

When we get new tires at the track I've been known to change rears between sessions, right back out with the stickers still on it, and at full speed. The only thing that new tire needs is heat, no scuffing, no amount of mileage actually matter. Once the tire is up to temp its good to go.
I just love these absolute statements! I don't think anyone would disagree with this for specific tires and/or circumstances. But, it's utterly insane to extrapolate your miniscule population of anecdotal successes (in comparison the with entire population of ALL tires installed) into a statement that implies that it is safe to bomb full speed after EVERY tire installation.

There are circumstances that you or any advocate of the 'Mount then Bomb' myth busters cannot foresee. That is precisely why the myth abolitionists are wrong. You folks have not taken every possibility into consideration.

So, why don't you myth busters be happy that your truth is safe in your hands and let the rest of us choose to, at least, inspect our tires before they are put into use?

Sarcasm switch, "on".

BTW, I had a bad experience after changing a tire when it slipped badly after mounting. And, I did this on a customer's bike when I was a young man. Now tell me why your anecdotal evidence is better than mine. Both experiences were direct and both were personal. Now, go ahead.

BTW #2, I have raced, been to numerous track days, have been a trackday company riding coach, worked with Kieth Codes Superbike school as a volunteer for many school weekends, ridden frequently off-road and have generally been an all-around kinda fast guy. Does my ridiculous bragging now stand up to any of you abolitionists' voir dires? Or, must I still defer to their definition of a myth.

Don't bother answering. I KNOW the truth for ME. You may proselytize somebody else.

Sarcasm switch, "off".

I advocate that you all learn the correct ways to identify whether a tire is safe to blast on immediately after installation instead of relying on few QWERTY Cowboys that have nothing more than their egos on the line in place of your safety.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #201
Hetzel88
cycles is a mean toy

Oddometer: 165
After a lowside a block from my house on a new cold and greasy tire, i now clean and scuff. Since I'll never see a track it makes me feel better and my time is free. I don't give a rat's ass what all you experts think.
Hetzel88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #202
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
I have emailed Pirelli UK with a very simple question, "why do you recommend running in new motorcycle tyres?"

Perhaps they will reply that this advice is only for people who don't do track days?
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #203
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Do you have literature from a manufacturer to back uo your opinion?
Do you?

Its not an opinion,

1)I've been riding long enough to remember when the tires DID have mold release on them, and I have seen nothing of the sort on any tire that I have bought since the early 2000s, and I mean back like the original Diablo/D207 period....since then every tire that I have had be it track geared or sport touring has been fine in like a matter of minutes.

2)Like I said I take brand new tire onto the track with the stickers on them, no warmers and do NOTHING different than I would if the tires had been on there a couple days previous...these aren't DOTs race tires or slicks, they are aggressive street tires. I've done it that way for years.

No is that true for every tire on the street? I doubt it, but the big ones, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirrelli, Metzler and whatnot in the sport/sport-touring segment I haven't seen any mold release in like 15-16 years.

lol Google

Quote:

Hello

Thanks for the questions. There are common mis-conceptions about tires that never seem to go away. Let us explain the details in the following method.

The idea of the breaking in a new tire is as follows. First is that after the install the tire will move ever so slightly on the rim to seat itself in the first few miles. The break in procedure we suggest is somewhere between 3 corners of the first lap for a race tire on a race track to about 300 miles for a touring tire. Why? Well the extreme forces generated to the soft race compound tire by a expert rider will break in the tire in the first few corners of the race track. Then on the other end you we have a guy on a Harley riding on public roads at legal speeds gently scrubbing in the tires over the 300 or so miles of use. Now let's talk about scrubbing. When the tire is new the very sharp edges of the tread grooves combined with the tire's smooth surface GIVE the impression of a slippery tire, but that is not the case. This new tire is sensitive to the various bumps, grooves, holes of the pavement and this sensitivity is what most consumers think is the slippery feeling. So as you can see the point of the breaking in tires is to help the you get used to a new (non worn out) quicker and better handling tire at a easy pace and to knock off the sharp edges and scuff the tread blocks.

We hope this helps answer your questions and ride safe.

US Pirelli Moto
www.us.pirellimoto.com
800 747-3554, prompt 2
So far as it goes I've biffed it on cold tires too, last time at a whopping 10mph pulling into a shopping center that was coated in transmission fluid. Nothing to do with the tires I could feel the surface was slick as soon as I stood up..couldn't see the puddle though....I only knew what I fell in by smelling the stains on my jeans when I got home.

Tripped1 screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 11:18 AM
Old 12-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #204
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

From Avon

http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Tir...rConsumers.pdf

Section four.....they are mainly concerned with size and pressure variations of new tires, nothing about lower preformance.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #205
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
From Avon

Section four.....they are mainly concerned with size and pressure variations of new tires, nothing about lower preformance.

That's how you read it, I also read in section four that the air pressure should be checked regularly during the 200 mile "break in" period, as the circumference of the tyre changes. That kind of suggests to me that the tyre MAY not be giving its best performance during this period?

Now us lower ability, non racing/track day heroes have something else to worry about! ;-)
Old 12-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #206
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Holy crap Tripped1!!!

Googled how to scrub in new motorbike tyres in an open minded kind of way, and found you have copied the Sportsbike/Christoph Knoche article on a site called SBN back in 2010 too. 13,000 posts there, and 6,000 here!

Are you and The Blurr founding members of the Christoph Knoche fan club?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #207
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
Holy crap Tripped1!!!

Are you and The Blurr founding members of the Christoph Knoche fan club?
I think it is more personal than that.

That said I do agree that once the tire is up to temp I no longer have concern as to the mileage or lack there of...
Old 12-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #208
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,093
Quote:
Do you?

Its not an opinion,

1)I've been riding long enough to remember when the tires DID have mold release on them, and I have seen nothing of the sort on any tire that I have bought since the early 2000s, and I mean back like the original Diablo/D207 period....since then every tire that I have had be it track geared or sport touring has been fine in like a matter of minutes.

2)Like I said I take brand new tire onto the track with the stickers on them, no warmers and do NOTHING different than I would if the tires had been on there a couple days previous...these aren't DOTs race tires or slicks, they are aggressive street tires. I've done it that way for years.

No is that true for every tire on the street? I doubt it, but the big ones, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirrelli, Metzler and whatnot in the sport/sport-touring segment I haven't seen any mold release in like 15-16 years.

lol Google

So far as it goes I've biffed it on cold tires too, last time at a whopping 10mph pulling into a shopping center that was coated in transmission fluid. Nothing to do with the tires I could feel the surface was slick as soon as I stood up..couldn't see the puddle though....I only knew what I fell in by smelling the stains on my jeans when I got home.
Sooo

What you're quoting, says "be careful on a new tire for a couple hundred miles" (Unless you're punching it at the track)
So is it because of mold release, some donkey cleaning at the HD dealership sprayed armor all /tire black on everything or to make sure there are no defects, no issues, and the tire handles properly?

Who cares? The main thing is, do you really need to punch it 100% on a brand new tire? Or does it make sense to take it slow to make sure everything is good for a few hundred miles?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #209
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Do you?
Yes. And several of the posters have linked to them.

Do what you like, just refrain from giving advice that could lead to someone getting hurt. Keep in mind that giving advice that is contrary to a manufacturer's recommendations does bring with it a certain amount of legal liability.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #210
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
From Avon

while much of the link is fact as I know it, not 100% (crown of road does NOT cause left side wear) therefore I have no faith in learning new facts from that link, as the author did not verify the info was correct
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote