Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #766
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Let's keep it civil, people. This isn't JM.

Your friendly mod

~EC
This thread would be so much better if it was happened to be punted to JM though
Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #767
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by merickk View Post
This thread would be so much better if it was happened to be punted to JM though
Better yet delete it entirely.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #768
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I haven't read this entire thread, so this may have been asked. How does riding gently on a new tire help you the first time you lean way over? If you're riding gently you probably aren't using the edges of the tires, so no matter how long you wait before finally starting to ride aggressively, the edges won't be scrubbed in until the first time you use them. I always wonder about this when I ride around gently on new tires.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #769
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I haven't read this entire thread, so this may have been asked. How does riding gently on a new tire help you the first time you lean way over? If you're riding gently you probably aren't using the edges of the tires, so no matter how long you wait before finally starting to ride aggressively, the edges won't be scrubbed in until the first time you use them. I always wonder about this when I ride around gently on new tires.
That's not how it works...
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #770
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,072
yet another thread that could have actually contained some useful information......

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #771
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
You can only scrub by using the tire. It just takes smooth riding to do it,no tossing it in hard/lots of throttle until it's seen some pavement. Make sense?
Old 01-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #772
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
yet another thread that could have actually contained some useful information......

Yeah, what should have been a technical discussion of friction coefficients, turned in all kinds of name calling.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #773
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
Yeah, what should have been a technical discussion of friction coefficients, turned in all kinds of name calling.

I know, I guess I should be used to it by now?

.....jerk

Quote:
Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #774
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post

It's difficult at best to have a technical discussion about something when that something is not defined, ie. race or street tires. Would that not be two discussions?

Wayne one thing that struck me and I don't recall it being defined. Was your measurement recorded at the moment of movement?

Treadless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #775
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
It's difficult at best to have a technical discussion about something when that something is not defined, ie. race or street tires. Would that not be two discussions?
that would have probably been the best way to go seeing as race tires are pretty unique, at least for tarmac.

Personally, ive never experienced a super slippery new street tire but that's never going to stop me from being cautious for awhile just based on what Ive heard and the vid of that guy on the Gixxer....
Quote:
Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #776
TheBlurr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
that would have probably been the best way to go seeing as race tires are pretty unique, at least for tarmac.

Personally, ive never experienced a super slippery new street tire but that's never going to stop me from being cautious for awhile just based on what Ive heard and the vid of that guy on the Gixxer....
You mean the guy on the Gixxer who just bought a new bike, in shiny new leathers, probably had minimal if any experience who would chop the throttle causing those super slippery new tires to grip and toss his ass overboard?
Probably not the best case ever put forth.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #777
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Thanks Anotherguy. If I understand you correctly, you're saying to take it easy as you start using previously unused portions of the tire. Makes sense.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #778
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 842
Quote:

There was some meaningful input near the beginning of this thread. It just got lost in noise, hyperbole and egotistical self-aggrandizement.

If only the OP had used a gag instead of earplugs we'd all be the richer for the input and newbies could have been saved some grief.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #779
TheBlurr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Thanks Anotherguy. If I understand you correctly, you're saying to take it easy as you start using previously unused portions of the tire. Makes sense.
Dig back to Patahs posts further in this thread. The notion that all these people manage to careuly scrub off tiny sections of the tire before moving onto the next is idiotic. Eventually everyone increases a bit more than they intended and at that point these scary slick tires would be sliding out leaving everyone on their ass, surprise they do not.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #780
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
I don't want to make any blanket statements here, because I think the one thing this thread shows is that if you try to make an absolute statement you'll probably be absolutely wrong.

Although I am one of those guys who actually does lightly sand my new tires, I don't think the important part is having the entire tire surface touch the road. I will be the first to admit most of my tires have a decent amount of chicken stripping on them.

But as you ride, even if you don't lean the bike, the tire itself deforms. This is actually what causes most of the heat - not friction of the tire sliding against pavement but the constant deformation. (The tire guys on here can correct that if I'm mistaken). So simply putting some miles on the tires, even in a straight line, is going to heat cycle the tire as well as cause the entire tire to flex. I would think that alone is sufficient after X miles. (You can decide what X equals!).

If you really needed to scrape the entire tire surface, your outer edges would always be slippery until you were all the way leaned over and presumably under A LOT of lateral forces. Yet if you look at your chicken strips after many miles, there still may be the little rubber antennae on the outer edges, but you can clearly see the rubber doesn't look "new." I assume that's because even that area that may not have touched tarmac has still undergone some type of change - presumably from heat cycling or deformation.