Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #106
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

We live in a horridly litigious society and I have never heard of anyone bringing suit aganist a bike tire mfg for tires that were not "ready for the road" as delivered.
That's a pretty good point. I actually did a quick Google and didn't see a lot of cases. However, my guess is most of these faceplants occur at low speed and result in very little damage - relative to the cost of a lawsuit. So, if somebody leaves the dealership and falls and actually seeks redress - it probably gets settled quickly ("we'll replace your blinkers") or gets settled in small claims court and is never published. A serious injury or fatality would probably occur some distance away and it would be tougher to prove causation.

But I am a bit surprised there isn't more cases. Even if it is a "myth", I would think there would be some unsuccessful suits. But I really didn't search too hard either.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #107
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Another thread where someone tells everyone else how to ride…
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #108
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,660
I've had the Aprilia head tech tell me they do not send out bikes for test rides with new tires until they are rubbed down with brake cleaner and a rag.
In the past they've had bikes with new tires go down right away.
He said brake cleaner removes all the mold release agent immediately.
He recommended that be done with all new tire no matter the mfg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #109
MT Wallet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
No shit. Did everyone else that questioned him get PM's like I did? He should change his name from TheBlurr to TheBut-hurt.
I must have dodged that bullet. Lucky you.

Tuna, you're saying the silicone is sprayed on the tire after molding? So that puts the silicone on the outside and inside the tire?
MT Wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #110
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,677
"Yea, thats it, My goal on here was just to be a total prick and not to help dispel a bullshit myth that does not allow people to be better riders.
As long as you keep making excuses they will continue to suffer."

One thing I still don't understand.... how does taking it easy for the first 100 miles on new tires make me a "bad" rider??
Old 12-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #111
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 376
I don't know why I read threads like this, but I just couldn't look away.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #112
Louis Wambsganss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Wallet View Post

Tuna, you're saying the silicone is sprayed on the tire after molding? So that puts the silicone on the outside and inside the tire?
I believe the basic process is that the carcass is built up from the belts, chords, rubber blanks, etc, then it is sprayed with silicone and put in a hot press to shape and imprint the stackup into a functional tire.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Louis Wambsganss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #113
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,535
And what is it, that goes horribly wrong, if I'll just take it very easy on new tyres for the first 100 miles or so?
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #114
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
And what is it, that goes horribly wrong, if I'll just take it very easy on new tyres for the first 100 miles or so?
From what I gathered, ol' looney toons thinks that it will forever besmirch your ability to ride "properly" and use the full potential of your tires in the future, or some such drivel-like nonsense.

L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #115
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
From what I gathered, ol' looney toons thinks that it will forever besmirch your ability to ride "properly" and use the full potential of your tires in the future, or some such drivel-like nonsense.
On a less sarcastic attempt:
He means that 1) there's a chance one needs to use the full potential of a tyre at the first few miles. For example when a kid jumps on the street directly in front of you or an oncoming vehicle uses your lane in a corner so you have to lean more or maybe brake to avoid a collision or whatever. Thinking the tyre has less potential than it actually has might in that case lead to a crash that could have been avoided either because one didn't brake/lean hard enough or was not relaxed enough to do it smooth.
And 2) if something happens one might falsely blame the tyre instead of honing your own skills.

By the way, I find it funny that the "oh you're lacking reading comprehension if you don't agree to me"-guys have such problems understanding what the other one tries to tell them.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #116
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
He means that 1) there's a chance one needs to use the full potential of a tyre at the first few miles. For example when a kid jumps on the street directly in front of you or an oncoming vehicle uses your lane in a corner so you have to lean more or maybe brake to avoid a collision or whatever. Thinking the tyre has less potential than it actually has might in that case lead to a crash that could have been avoided either because one didn't brake/lean hard enough or was not relaxed enough to do it smooth.
And 2) if something happens one might falsely blame the tyre instead of honing your own skills.

By the way, I find it funny that the "oh you're lacking reading comprehension if you don't agree to me"-guys have such problems understanding what the other one tries to tell them.
If I ever start a thread making such a bold claim and stating what can and what can't happen on any given topic, I would fully expect a rain of incoming reply hellfire to show me the error of my arrogant ways.

Sarcasm is in full effect with this guy.
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #117
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post

motorcycling destroys one's comprehension skills

posts by motorcyclists
proves my point.
merry xmas
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #118
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Wallet View Post

Before it goes in the mold. Outside meaning on both sidewalls and the tread surface, inside meaning the part that holds air. I'll see about some spy video.

Tuna Helper screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 05:24 AM
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #119
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
http://stores.racetireservice.com/-s...Categories.bok

These are UK made Dunlop SS tires offered by my regular vendor. The US made version is the 211GPA. Pirelli makes something similar, as does Michelin. They are DOT tires legal for use on the street. I wanted to post this because some here think race tires are somehow different from DOT tires. They are, but not in the way most think.

I wouldn't recommend using DOT labeled race tires on the street, however. They would be very slippery because they won't come up to temperature riding around the neighborhood.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #120
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I recently highsided my bike, posted the incident over in Faceplant... My tires were well scrubbed in, but it wasn't until I got the bike home and under some good light that I noticed this:

Although I'm sure that there were many factors involved, it appears to me that I ventured a little to far over into the unscrubbed "chicken strip" area, and it is possible that if that area had been scrubbed in, I may have had a bit more forgiveness. Is this 100 percent accurate? Probably not, but if pre scrubbing in the tires would help even a bit, and doesn't appear to do any harm, and the manufacturers suggest it for whatever reason, I will resume doing it in the future. I had always done it to previous bikes, but bought this bike on the road in Colorado and rode it home to Arkansas.
Sorry to hear about your crash, but those scuff marks are what a tire looks like after it slides along the pavement during a crash. Sadly I know that all too well. Scrub, don't scrub, whatever, but I don't think you can determine the cause of your crash from those photos.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote