ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,657
You will love the riding. Highway 9, Skyline Blvd, the Pacific Coast Highway... Lots of good hiking in those redwood forests too, complete with banana slugs and salamanders. For weekend rides, Highway 49 and the Sierra mountain passes are pretty awesome too.

While not a high crime area, it seems like a spot where you could get a vehicle stolen. I would lock my bike, even if it was in the garage.

Lane splitting will come in handy, as long as you use plenty of caution. The "guidelines" published by the California DMV are a good place to start.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Sfcootz
Banjoboy is my guru.

Oddometer: 2,790
In my opinion, there's better riding to be had north of the Golden Gate. I'm always ready to ride if you want someone to hit the road.

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,547
There's great motorcycle forum local to the Bay Area, two actually. BARF and SBR. Personally I enjoy the smaller of the two, SBR. Introduce yourself and make great local riding buddies. Nothing can compare to advrider but a quality local forum is also a great resource and may be a good place to find a temporary rental too.
neepuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #19
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,048
Lets us know once you're settled and I'm sure a few of us would be willing to show you around the local twisties.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #20
GasDepot
Stuck in a Cage

Oddometer: 196
Check out the WARPED x get together to of WEST sub-forum.
Ride your street bike there is all kind of riding.
A good way to meet some more inmates and see some CA hwy 25 is the bomb.
GasDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Oddometer: 343
Looks great. I don't know if my camping gear will have made it down by then but it looks like I need to make that happen

-GW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasDepot View Post
Check out the WARPED x get together to of WEST sub-forum.
Ride your street bike there is all kind of riding.
A good way to meet some more inmates and see some CA hwy 25 is the bomb.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,040
The east bay and the south bay have the best weather. The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco...

Redwood City isn't bad, though. Pretty far south to get much fog. I grew up in Hayward, lived in Cupertino, San Jose and went to San Jose State. My sister lives in Danville. I used to race AMA district 36. Norcal has a large motorcycling community made up of all stripes.

If it were me, I'd live in Walnut Creek and take the BART to SF. It is a great small city with the best weather. It lies in a valley nestled between Mount Diablo and the Oakland hills. Very fast to get away from the Bay Area on Fridays. The whole of the Gold Country is but 90 minutes ride away. Probably the best touring around. Also, if you like dual sporting you have to get east and north of the Bay Area. Walnut Creek offers faster access there too.

I have a son living in SF now. I swear it is the coldest place. Driving across the Bay Bridge last May the temp was a wonderful 75. At his front door it was foggy and 52...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Well the reason I was thinking of Boulder Creek was that I need/want land. I found a place with 13 acres that was reasonably priced. I also like being closer to the ocean. I've seen a few that meet the criteria in Martinez and Oakley but nothing really in Walnut Creek.

I think that RWC is centrally enough located for me to search in all directions. Might be a bit of a pain if I look in west marin.

-GW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
The east bay and the south bay have the best weather. The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco...

Redwood City isn't bad, though. Pretty far south to get much fog. I grew up in Hayward, lived in Cupertino, San Jose and went to San Jose State. My sister lives in Danville. I used to race AMA district 36. Norcal has a large motorcycling community made up of all stripes.

If it were me, I'd live in Walnut Creek and take the BART to SF. It is a great small city with the best weather. It lies in a valley nestled between Mount Diablo and the Oakland hills. Very fast to get away from the Bay Area on Fridays. The whole of the Gold Country is but 90 minutes ride away. Probably the best touring around. Also, if you like dual sporting you have to get east and north of the Bay Area. Walnut Creek offers faster access there too.

I have a son living in SF now. I swear it is the coldest place. Driving across the Bay Bridge last May the temp was a wonderful 75. At his front door it was foggy and 52...
Old 01-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #24
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Okay, so my buddy flaked on me.. something about having to take a family vacation or some other such idiocy. Left me in a bit of a bind. I only have ONE piece of furniture I cannot move myself.

Anyone have any interest in carrying a couch up two flights with me? I can provide much entertainment in the form of injury and cursing! Might even talk some food or alcohol out of me. Probably gas money too.

This would be either Saturday the 18th or Sunday the 19th. If I can get in at a reasonable hour I'd rather do Saturday since it will be my bed as well as my couch until I can find something. Then again all I really need are the cushions.

No worries if no one can help, I'm sure I can hire someone to do it at some incredible cost.

-GW
Old 01-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #25
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
Okay, so my buddy flaked on me.. something about having to take a family vacation or some other such idiocy. Left me in a bit of a bind. I only have ONE piece of furniture I cannot move myself.

Anyone have any interest in carrying a couch up two flights with me? I can provide much entertainment in the form of injury and cursing! Might even talk some food or alcohol out of me. Probably gas money too.

This would be either Saturday the 18th or Sunday the 19th. If I can get in at a reasonable hour I'd rather do Saturday since it will be my bed as well as my couch until I can find something. Then again all I really need are the cushions.

No worries if no one can help, I'm sure I can hire someone to do it at some incredible cost.

-GW
GW I am a possible. I have to work in Millbrae both that Sat and Sun at 1500 so could do a 1030 assist on Sat, then I can go for a ride up to Alice's for lunch and then to work. Sunday maybe 1300. How much weight are we talking - steel frame sleeper sofa? If so you probably want a couple more bodies. No sense in bulging a disc. Are you sure it will fit through the door (legs come off?).

PM me a reminder the week before (and the day before ). If my schedule holds I can probably swing by. Might even find a couple more folks to go for a ride and a bite to eat. Sat is better for me.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #26
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
GW I am a possible. I have to work in Millbrae both that Sat and Sun at 1500 so could do a 1030 assist on Sat, then I can go for a ride up to Alice's for lunch and then to work. Sunday maybe 1300. How much weight are we talking - steel frame sleeper sofa? If so you probably want a couple more bodies. No sense in bulging a disc. Are you sure it will fit through the door (legs come off?).

PM me a reminder the week before (and the day before ). If my schedule holds I can probably swing by. Might even find a couple more folks to go for a ride and a bite to eat. Sat is better for me.
It is not that heavy, not a sleeper, just an old comfy sofa. It should fit if we turn it on its side.

From your schedule it sounds like Sunday would be better. I'll be leaving Phoenix on Saturday morning and I think it will be a good 12 hours from there. I'll probably roll in 7 or 8 that night. If I hit a lot of traffic in LA it may be later.

I'll PM you.

-GW
Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #27
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

GW, have not forgotten (yet....) Sunday works still, maybe a bit earlier so I can go for a ride after and grab a salad at Alice's. 11am for the move?

Anyone else up for hefting a couch in Redwood City and a ride out after?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #28
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,429
Welcome to the Bay Area!

My wife and I went through the same thing about 5 years ago.

We actually found a place that checked most of the boxes for us (except land) in Oakland. Garage? Check. Big unfinished space for my machine/fab shop? Check. Well-kept neighborhood? Check. Nice architecture? Check. We really lucked out with the neighbors -- they're very nice.

Of course, I wish it were on 10 acres of land with a moto-x track in my front yard.... but can't have everything. Heck, I'd settle for 1/4 acre.

We didn't search hard for land, but our friends in the area suggested that it would either be insanely costly if close to the city, or far away from the city, outside convenient commuting distance.

FWIW, I like Alameda -- it's pretty safe, nice architecture, close to the city, you could commute by FERRY into the city, which is cool.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #29
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
GW, have not forgotten (yet....) Sunday works still, maybe a bit earlier so I can go for a ride after and grab a salad at Alice's. 11am for the move?

Anyone else up for hefting a couch in Redwood City and a ride out after?
Sorry, I just got in. Would welcome any help but I can hire someone if you are busy.

GW
Old 01-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #30
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Did not hear from you this am so went another direction. Hope the move goes well.