ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #46
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Oddometer: 343
On a side note if you run the PR2 or PR3 like I do swmototires has 33% off until summer. I just got a new rear PR3 for $200 and the PR2 is cheaper. I got about 8000 miles out of the one I'm pulling off which was a PR2. They say the PR3 is better in the wet so I thought I'd try it. I know its a drought and all but every time I get up in the scz mountains the roads are wet.

-GW
Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #47
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
GW - you can also try:

http://www.motoshopsf.com/

They rent lifts/bays/space for DIY and periodically host periodic classes for valve adjustments, etc.

I don't know thier policy now, however they used to be pretty liberal about letting you leave your bike there while you did repair / waited for parts. I believe they will receive tires for you (not sure), however they do have tire changing and balancing rigs.

Decent folks.

Cheers,

Matt
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #48
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,316
road rider in san jose also do a on the spot change, if you can unmount and mount the wheel yourself, they have some tools to loan you as well.
Bit far but they have good prices and have done a good job the few times I have been by.

If ya get the young kids at cycle gear make sure you check the tire/wheel before you go, they mounted my f650 rear backwards
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #49
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Cyclegear's machine is broken. Looks like RoadRider it is.

Thanks,
-GW
Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #50
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,098
Santa Clara Cycle is another option closer to you.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 AM   #51
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

GW, there is also Moto Tire Guy out Ocean Ave (Robbie if I'm not mistaken).

http://mototireguy.com/

You can ship a tire into him from any of the big sellers (Jake Wilson, etc) and he will mount it. I've had him do a couple tire changes.

Garage shop at his house, he is a listed installer for a few on-line places.

Roadrider is good, wonder if that tall bombshell still works there....
Old 06-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #52
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Hey all, just adding an update:

Bought a house midway between Fairfield and Vallejo (and Napa if you make a triangle).

If you live around here let me know.

-GW
Old 06-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #53
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post

Bought a house midway between Fairfield and Vallejo (and Napa if you make a triangle).

-GW

You're in the old landfill site, oops, I mean American Canyon?

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #54
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Hehe, no, I'm past American Canyon near the Green Valley Country Club. Its either Suisun City or Fairfield depending on what map site you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
You're in the old landfill site, oops, I mean American Canyon?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #55
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Hey GW, you moved fast. Congrats.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #56
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post

-GW
Don't live that close, but there's a bunch of ADV'ers getting together tomorrow evening for a Potluck at the Warehouse Cafe in Crockett which looks pretty close to you. I'm going to ride up from SF.

East Bay Meet & Eat thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...84610&page=135

Edit to add: The Warehouse Cafe is actually in Port Costa, just a bit east of Crockett.

joefromsf screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 04:05 PM Reason: Clarify location
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #57
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Now that this thread is no longer needed by GrayWolf, I think I will hijack as my own.

I too have accepted a position in SF, near Twitter at Market St. and Ninth St. (although I don't work at Twitter and have never tweeted). I will probably be moving in July at some point, with wife and kids not coming with me at this time. The major difference between me and GrayWolf is that I'm moving from Canada - not exactly a short drive.

I'm bringing my bike (R1200GS) and a car (Subaru Outback). I am debating selling my Outback here in Canada before heading down because the practicality of full-time AWD in the Outback is less essential than in the Bay area. The bike is a temporary thing. I can't get it licensed in the Cali due to its emission regulations (no grey market bikes, period. End of story), but I can ride it with Ontario plates and insurance to allow me to get my CA M1 and a replacement bike. Then maybe in the October time frame I will ride it to Vancouver or Calgary to sell it.

Other than clothes, my prized Le Creuset cookware, and a few bike things, I won't be moving much else. Starting fresh and livin' light.

Issue: Where to live.

I would prefer to find something close to work so I can walk to work, however I'm aware that SF is pricey. Like the OP said, I'd rather not have to shoot anyone or be shot myself. I'm sure it's pricey for a place that has secure parking for a bike (R1200GS) and a car (Subaru Outback). I am debating selling my Outback here in Canada before heading down because the practicality of full-time AWD in the Outback is less essential in the Bay area than it is in Canada.

My workplace is a block away from a BART station so it is not lost on me that I'm a 45 minute ride to a place like Walnut Creek where rents may be cheaper for a nicer place (and better weather?). Is the trade-off worth it in terms of price for a rental that meets my needs vs. losing 1.5 hrs of my life daily?

Any other advice? Warnings?
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS

bigbadandugly screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 11:27 AM
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #58
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
What's your budget? Friends of mine renting out their studio in SoMa here shortly. Awesome view. Parking garage which is pretty secure. Walking distance to your office. Easy bus ride too.
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:25 AM   #59
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

I will be happy to flake out on you lifting a couch up four flights of stairs and have a contemporary reference too
Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #60
C/W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Just to be clear, where you are working - near Civic Center Bart - is a crummy area. The prevalence of SROs in the area tends to lend to a wild west feeling.

Fortunately SF is a city where a few blocks either way can lead to dramatically better area.

Affordability is a relative term. If you're planning on having your kids out there, then schooling becomes an issue. SF has a lottery system for the public schools - so you may not get accepted into the closest school. This has caused people who could afford it (or couldn't) to leave SF when their kids reach school age.

Anywhere along Bart will give you relatively quick access to the city. Don't just look at Walnut Creek, there's Dublin/Pleasanton/Lafayette/Orinda/Oakland(Rockridge)/Concord,Pleasant Hill (< I've been impressed with Pleasant Hill lately). South along bart...Glen Park, Daly City, etc...not as nice weather but super convenient to downtown - I (surprisingly) really liked living in Glen Park (neighborhood of SF)

The nice thing about the area is that you'll have year long motorcycle riding. You'll have legalized lane sharing. You *might* want to get a smaller motorcycle, but I've seen plenty of larger BMWs being used as commuters. The downside is that "dirt" is not close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
Now that this thread is no longer needed by GrayWolf, I think I will hijack as my own.

I too have accepted a position in SF, near Twitter at Market St. and Ninth St. (although I don't work at Twitter and have never tweeted). I will probably be moving in July at some point, with wife and kids not coming with me at this time. The major difference between me and GrayWolf is that I'm moving from Canada - not exactly a short drive.

I'm bringing my bike (R1200GS) and a car (Subaru Outback). I am debating selling my Outback here in Canada before heading down because the practicality of full-time AWD in the Outback is less essential than in the Bay area. The bike is a temporary thing. I can't get it licensed in the Cali due to its emission regulations (no grey market bikes, period. End of story), but I can ride it with Ontario plates and insurance to allow me to get my CA M1 and a replacement bike. Then maybe in the October time frame I will ride it to Vancouver or Calgary to sell it.

Other than clothes, my prized Le Creuset cookware, and a few bike things, I won't be moving much else. Starting fresh and liven' light.

I would prefer to find something close to work so I can walk to work, however I'm aware that SF is pricey. Like the OP said, I'd rather not have to shoot anyone or be shot myself. I'm sure it's pricey for a place that has secure parking for a bike (R1200GS) and a car (Subaru Outback). I am debating selling my Outback here in Canada before heading down because the practicality of full-time AWD in the Outback is less essential in the Bay area than it is in Canada.

My workplace is a block away from a BART station so it is not lost on me that I'm a 45 minute ride to a place like Walnut Creek where rents may be cheaper for a nicer place (and better weather?). Is the trade-off worth it in terms of price for a rental that meets my needs vs. losing 1.5 hrs of my life daily?

Any other advice? Warnings?
C/W is offline   Reply With Quote