ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #61
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
I will be happy to flake out on you lifting a couch up four flights of stairs and have a contemporary reference too
Agreed, he is the best at that!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #62
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Okay, first off.. Unless you are in nova scotia I don't really think you can characterize my move as a "short drive". [valley girl]Seriously![/valley girl]

That said, I saved a lot of money by living in Redwood City and taking the train (although I preferred to ride in). If it's not going to be your permanent home I'd suggest taking a look at places on the peninsula that are near a caltrain stop. I picked RWC because it had an "express" (baby bullet) train that got me into the city in half an hour. With a couple minute walk on either side it was a great way to get to work. I also had the option of taking a cable car to my office or taking the shuttle bus my company provides from caltrain. Something to look into.

The management company at my apartment was a PITA, however, the place was clean, pest free, plenty of (covered, reserved) parking included, had a short term 3 month lease with options for month to month after (I didn't want a year as I knew I was looking for something more permanent), and was 1700/month for a 900sqft 1 bedroom which was much cheaper then closer to SF.

If my family had moved down with me right away I wouldn't have chosen the place, but since I was solo I'm very happy I did it this way.

Now with the house I'm going back to Indiana in a week or so to pick up the family and bring them out.

If you have any questions send me a PM and I'll shoot over my contact info. I'm still fairly new to the area but I'm more then willing to offer as much bad advice as I can. Also I can flake out on moving furniture with the best of them.

-GW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
Now that this thread is no longer needed by GrayWolf, I think I will hijack as my own.

I too have accepted a position in SF, near Twitter at Market St. and Ninth St. (although I don't work at Twitter and have never tweeted). I will probably be moving in July at some point, with wife and kids not coming with me at this time. The major difference between me and GrayWolf is that I'm moving from Canada - not exactly a short drive.

I'm bringing my bike (R1200GS) and a car (Subaru Outback). I am debating selling my Outback here in Canada before heading down because the practicality of full-time AWD in the Outback is less essential than in the Bay area. The bike is a temporary thing. I can't get it licensed in the Cali due to its emission regulations (no grey market bikes, period. End of story), but I can ride it with Ontario plates and insurance to allow me to get my CA M1 and a replacement bike. Then maybe in the October time frame I will ride it to Vancouver or Calgary to sell it.

Other than clothes, my prized Le Creuset cookware, and a few bike things, I won't be moving much else. Starting fresh and liven' light.

Issue: Where to live.

I would prefer to find something close to work so I can walk to work, however I'm aware that SF is pricey. Like the OP said, I'd rather not have to shoot anyone or be shot myself. I'm sure it's pricey for a place that has secure parking for a bike (R1200GS) and a car (Subaru Outback). I am debating selling my Outback here in Canada before heading down because the practicality of full-time AWD in the Outback is less essential in the Bay area than it is in Canada.

My workplace is a block away from a BART station so it is not lost on me that I'm a 45 minute ride to a place like Walnut Creek where rents may be cheaper for a nicer place (and better weather?). Is the trade-off worth it in terms of price for a rental that meets my needs vs. losing 1.5 hrs of my life daily?

Any other advice? Warnings?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #63
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
I will be happy to flake out on you lifting a couch up four flights of stairs and have a contemporary reference too
I'm gonna build me a nice solid bed frame out of lumber from Home Depot. I'll need some help getting the lumber up to my place so I'll post here with a time and you can commit. At least when you jam out on me I can move the pieces up by myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/W View Post
Just to be clear, where you are working - near Civic Center Bart - is a crummy area. The prevalence of SROs in the area tends to lend to a wild west feeling.
Not sure what an SRO is, but the area is certainly on the verge of crummy. They put me up at the Holiday in around the corner and after my interview I went walking to look for a restaurant and in a few blocks I hit the famous Tenderloin district. Sweet mother of Christ! What a fucking disgusting wake-up call that was. During the interview the General Counsel asked where I was staying and when I responded he said he was going to talk to HR about putting prospective hires up in that area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/W View Post
Affordability is a relative term. If you're planning on having your kids out there...
I'm taking a page out of the GrayWolf playbook - leave the wife and kids where they are for a year or so prior to full relo. For that reason I think I prefer to live in SF near work and over the next year I can check out the surrounding areas to see what I like.

I'd like to stay under $2,000/month, but if all that gets you is a choice corner in the Tenderloin, I could go higher.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #64
GrayWolf OP
Lupine Rider

Not very likely, take a look at http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/

Click out to the peninsula and you will find better prices.

Quote:
I'd like to stay under $2,000/month, but if all that gets you is a choice corner in the Tenderloin, I could go higher.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #65
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
I think the peninsula is a better place to start than East Bay. More commute options since you don't have to cross the Bay, which limits you to BART under the water or bus or bike on the bridge. Unless you're a confident and aggressive lane splitter the bridge isn't fun. Peninsula can be reached by BART (partway), CalTrain , 101 or 280. Or Skyline or Hwy 1. Also, don't sell a Subaru short for California. We have strict chain laws in the mountains in winter and the chain control guys won't care if you're from Canada and can drive in the snow. If you can import it I say go for it. I'm surprised you can't bring in a Canadian GS if you can bring in a Canadian car that you own; my sister brought her Ford in when she moved back here from TO. California does have laws preventing registration of 49-state vehicles with low mileage (7500?) to prevent people from buying out of state cars or bikes to bypass local emissions laws and taxes.

-dman (life time Bay Area guy)
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #66
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Also, don't sell a Subaru short for California. We have strict chain laws in the mountains in winter and the chain control guys won't care if you're from Canada and can drive in the snow.
Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember the show "Hell on the Highway" taking place around Truckee.

Quote:
If you can import it I say go for it. I'm surprised you can't bring in a Canadian GS if you can bring in a Canadian car that you own
The car is actually a New York car I bought new in 2013. One of my motivations for selling is that I can sell it and recover 90% of my cost given I saved about $5,000 on the purchase/import. If I absolutely need wheels down in SF I can buy down there and avoid the hassle of importing my current car (given it is a "foreign" car now, albeit emissions compliant).

And I'm not sure about the importation of grey market cars. All I know is that I looked exhaustively about importing my bike and the CA DMV website is pretty clear that grey market bikes are expressly excluded form importation eligibility.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #67
Number8teen
Uncompetent

Oddometer: 10,149
Quote:
I think the peninsula is a better place to start than East Bay. More commute options since you don't have to cross the Bay, which limits you to BART under the water or bus or bike on the bridge. Unless you're a confident and aggressive lane splitter the bridge isn't fun. Peninsula can be reached by BART (partway), CalTrain , 101 or 280. Or Skyline or Hwy 1. Also, don't sell a Subaru short for California. We have strict chain laws in the mountains in winter and the chain control guys won't care if you're from Canada and can drive in the snow. If you can import it I say go for it. I'm surprised you can't bring in a Canadian GS if you can bring in a Canadian car that you own; my sister brought her Ford in when she moved back here from TO. California does have laws preventing registration of 49-state vehicles with low mileage (7500?) to prevent people from buying out of state cars or bikes to bypass local emissions laws and taxes.

-dman (life time Bay Area guy)
There's the ferry option from the east bay as well if you look at alameda or downtown/jack London area in Oakland. I was commuting from Alameda to SF for a few months and the ferry was great. They serve booze and it's maybe 20 mins to embarcadero. If you and your family can get reasonable flights via the Oakland airport, that is way less of a hassle than SFO if you live nearby.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #68
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8teen View Post
There's the ferry option from the east bay as well if you look at alameda or downtown/jack London area in Oakland. I was commuting from Alameda to SF for a few months and the ferry was great. They serve booze and it's maybe 20 mins to embarcadero. If you and your family can get reasonable flights via the Oakland airport, that is way less of a hassle than SFO if you live nearby.
The Ferry is hands down the best "commute" ever. Bad weather, be prepared to drive. BART strike, be prepared to drive. Get a fasttrak transponder. Works all over CA.
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #69
Number8teen
Uncompetent

Oddometer: 10,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ Beemer View Post
The Ferry is hands down the best "commute" ever. Bad weather, be prepared to drive. BART strike, be prepared to drive. Get a fasttrak transponder. Works all over CA.
I dunno, the ferry is kind of like a roller coaster when it's storming. Can be fun!