Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #61
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
We know, it has been a long time, sorry. Been out riding and…well you know how it is.

Zach is taking some time off updating so you will have to put up with me instead for a while.

Ok, where were we, oh yes, we had just left Eloy and the hot showers.
We headed south again back to MAXVERT’s so Zach could get his clutch changed. Thanks again MAXVERT for your help, time and equipment, very much appreciated.

MAXVERT treated us to a dirt road ride around the area for me, and a slightly more difficult Charouleau Gap ride for Zach. Sorry, no photos, too busy riding . If that wasn’t enough, MAXVERT and his wife Bonnie then treated us both to a night out, where Bonnie introduced me to ‘michelada’….an interesting mix of tomato juice and beer! Thanks guys, great times. Look forward to welcoming you to Switzerland and going for a raclette.

Then, it was back to Tucson to meet some friends who came to visit us. Zach took the opportunity to explore the Santa Rita Mountains with our friend Clayton (Clayton on my bike) whilst I had some time in town with my friend Reggie.

Partying with friends over, we headed further south to the area around Patagonia and Sonoita, but not without trying a Sonoran Hot Dog (or 2) first!

We found a nice camp spot in Las Cienegas National Conservation Area, so decided to base ourselves there for a few days.

Now having spent the last 8 winters in Africa (Zambia), this place kind of made me feel homesick!

The first day we headed out on some of the roads Zach and Clayton had been riding, only to find the nice compact dirt had been graded meaning the riding was not as good as a couple of days before! Instead we headed back to Las Cienegas to explore to OHV trials in the area. As we were losing light (and heat), Zach carried on to see ‘The Narrows’ whilst I headed back to camp.

The next day we headed down to Patagonia (nice tourist town)

Then out on road 49, through the ‘ghost towns’, all the way to the Mexican border…well the fence at least.

Good roads, with beautiful scenery, all in all a great day with easy riding. Back at camp we were treated to an antelope migration…well maybe just a few passing through, but it was great all the same!

Ok, we are a long way behind….will try and do another update before the end of the day!

AndieFlaps screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 03:57 PM
AndieFlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #62
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

The next day we headed back down south, past Parker Canyon Lake..

..onto Sunnyside Ghost Town (seems to be a lot of those in this area), where the road turned to trail and a few stream crossings…..

…then back down to the fence!

I was loving the roads, and I think Zach was too.

So enough of being tempted by Mexico, time to move on!

Dragoon Mountains, Cochise Stronghold next….well kind of.
The first day we actually took a ride over the Chiricahua National Mounment, via the Ghost Town Trail!

Although no riding in Chiricahua, it is well worth a visit, in fact, Zach and I headed back with the van two days later and did the 10 mile hike down from the top.

Realising we were nearly out of fuel we had to call by Willcox on the way home to, not such a bad thing as it allowed us to ride back through Willcox Playa.

Next day was hiking…..

…and naked sunbathing….but no photos of that…well none I am sharing!

Time to move north.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #63
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndieFlaps View Post
…and naked sunbathing….but no photos of that…well none I am sharing!

Now it looks like you are getting a hold of the "strange" american culture

Nice thread, nice rides. I'm glad the bigger pictures are an option now

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #64
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,368
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #65
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Laugh

Ok, last update to bring us to present time...

Hot Well Dunes Rec Area was our next stop.

Not a bad place to hang out for a couple of days, enjoying the free hot tubs and changing tyres….sorry I mean tires! Luckily MAXVERT gave us a few helpful hints, or this 3 hour job could have turned into 3 days.
Handy rock.

Zach needed to use a little pressure on the back tyres…

So now we are running on Dunlop D606 on the front and Mefo Explorer on the back….not that means much to me, but I know some of you people like to know that stuff!
We had a quick test ride up Mt Graham..

..before moving up to the Gila Box Area. There we explored the Black Hills Country Byway…not the best riding to be honest. It would have been better to explore the area by kayak, but we failed to find anywhere that rented them. We did however have a great day out along the San Francisco River, first stop was Clifton and the big digger!

The end of the road brought us down to a nice area by the river.

Zach tested the water and decided it was good to go.

I on the other hand was not too sure, it looked fairly deep, so like any good girlfriend I encouraged Zach to test it out…

At this point I thought he might be going in, and allowed myself a little snigger…

But then he made it….lucky really as I guess I would have got wet helping him out!

He then made it back again, but was a little wet!

Water fun over, we headed out on the road to dry off. The 191 was a great road, we enjoyed even though we wished we had our road bikes.

Don’t be put off by the scenic views of Morenci mine at the beginning!

Now we are in Phoenix planning our next move…..whilst we enjoy the luxury of the van we think it is time to head out with just the bikes….California Road Trip here we come….stay tuned!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #66
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndieFlaps View Post

Now we are in Phoenix planning our next move…..whilst we enjoy the luxury of the van we think it is time to head out with just the bikes….California Road Trip here we come….stay tuned!

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #67
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 499
You are seeing more of America than 95% of Americans do. I'm enjoying the trip.
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #68
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,989
the bigger pics are much better, all sweet shots
Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #69
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

So, it's decided....ditch the van and head out on the bikes, who needs luxury camping anyway!
First slight problem we encountered was what to do with a van and trailer in Phoenix? Answer, we rented a US$1 for first month storage space (must make sure we are not longer than a month!).

Second problem, I had a luggage rack, but no side support bars. We decided the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to resolve this issue would be to have some made. 'Bob the custom metal man' did a great job and made us some racks as per our specifications...

...anyone see a problem?! Neither did we until I tried to start the bike! The rack made kicking the beast almost impossible.

Luckily it only took a quick visit back to Bob to resolve the issue.

Then the bikes received a quick service (oil and filter change, valve check, air filter clean etc), plus a few new parts.....

...before we loaded them from a trail run around town.

I pleased to report that all went well on the test run, so tomorrow we leave town en route to California!

We are now down to simple tent camping, so if anyone has any garden space in Southern California let us know...we believe it may be more difficult to find spots in California than it has been in Arizona.

Oh, and one last thing. Whilst I was giving my bike the once over, I notice it had leaked a little of...well something (oil I guess!) from the cylinder head....anyone any ideas what it could be, and if I need to do something about it sooner rather than later?!

Old 02-10-2014, 03:12 AM   #70
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,217
not a problem with the weeping ....keep an eye on it and the oil but i would not worry about it
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #71
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Gaspipe's old bike!

You've got Gaspipe's old bike!

That's a famous bike in ADVrider circles... look up Gaspipe and BigDog's Western TAT ride.

It's what got me back out riding long distance dual sport....76000 miles since the start of 2007.... with 2 years not riding in that period.

Also, no worries on the slight oil weep - fairly common. If you see oil tracks running down it's a problem. That's just that it was very slightly wet, thicker crud isn't so good, oil tracks is BAD!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #72
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,755
Well I'll be---you're riding my ole buddy "GasPipes" bike.

I've road many a mile either in front of or behind that bike----it's been to Mexico many times and he rode it with me on the Trans America Trail. He's actually had a least 2 of those---and built both of them up to the same specs.

Here's that same bike out West somewhere-----he'd had his 5th flat for the day and had pulled a 2lb. booger out of his nose.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 08:44 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #73
TR562
Banned

Oddometer: 34
Dear KTM, BMW, and Husky guys please take notice of how these Hondas will perform this entire RR without missing a beat.
TR562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #74
wyobohunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
^6 posts in and trying to ruin a perfectly good story with the Ford vs. Chevy thing? C'mon dude.
wyobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #75
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,591
well you found the end, of the country atleast.
i promise on the other side are some kick ass beaches this time of year.

in the sonoran free zone http://www.mexadventure.com/MexicoTr...cle-Permit.cfm you don't need to import your van and 7 days or less the tourist permit is free. many push it past 7 days before paying for a 6mo permit.

with your setup, you can go into here (& baja) w/o any problems. you can't go past as you can only register 1 vehicle per person and you have 3 (1 van and 2 bikes).
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote