Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #76
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
not a problem with the weeping ....keep an eye on it and the oil but i would not worry about it
Thanks, will keep an eye on it.
AndieFlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #77
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
You've got Gaspipe's old bike!

That's a famous bike in ADVrider circles... look up Gaspipe and BigDog's Western TAT ride.

It's what got me back out riding long distance dual sport....76000 miles since the start of 2007.... with 2 years not riding in that period.

Also, no worries on the slight oil weep - fairly common. If you see oil tracks running down it's a problem. That's just that it was very slightly wet, thicker crud isn't so good, oil tracks is BAD!
Thanks, no oil tracks at min, but will keep a look out for them.
Yes, Zach has Gaspipes bike! It is having a few more miles added to it on this trip!!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #78
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
well you found the end, of the country atleast.
i promise on the other side are some kick ass beaches this time of year.

in the sonoran free zone http://www.mexadventure.com/MexicoTr...cle-Permit.cfm you don't need to import your van and 7 days or less the tourist permit is free. many push it past 7 days before paying for a 6mo permit.

with your setup, you can go into here (& baja) w/o any problems. you can't go past as you can only register 1 vehicle per person and you have 3 (1 van and 2 bikes).
Thanks for the info, we will look at in.
Made it to the beaches of California, beaches great, LA traffic.....:-)
Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #79
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

The first stage of our road trip was Phoenix to LA in 3 days to visit some of Zach’s friends. Easy if you take the freeway, but XR650Rs and their riders don’t like the freeway that much! Does anybody actually like to ride the freeway on their bike?!

We eventually left Phoenix at lunchtime, after filling the tyres with air and eating a nice gas station hot dog lunch…yum, road trip food…and headed out on the freeway to get out of town, which is quicker said than done. How big is Phoenix?! We eventually pulled off onto the gas pipeline road that took us all the way into Kofa National Wildlife Refuge.

Not long after entering the Kofa, we headed down one of the small side roads in search of water (the sign said something about a well), we didn’t find a well, but what we did find was Kofa Cabin, a free cabin to stay in on a first come, first served basis! Although it was only 1630, we decided to make the most of the cabin for the evening,..the wood burning fire sealed the deal!

The cabin had a guest book, reading through it, it appears many other dual sport riders have found the cabin and enjoyed the benefits.

The next day our plan was an easy day to Joshua Tree National Park, a morning of dirt and the rest paved……we should know by now never to make plans!

We decided to take the small road from the cabin, for a few miles, until it joined the main dirt road through the park, or so the park map said.

After 10 miles, some tricky sections, and a deep wash, we discovered that all the roads back to the main road had actually been closed off! After stopping to let my bike cool (it has an over-heating problem which has not been fixed by a fan we fitted to the radiator), and Zach exploring several alternative options, we eventually made it back to Kofa Cabin by 1pm!

I have to say, being pissed off definitely helps my riding. I rode the XR650 hard down the rest of the dirt road, Zach was taken by surprise and actually fell behind me in a few places, that improved my mood somewhat!

So there was nothing for it…instead of our planned dirt route to Blythe we had to take the paved route, then hit the freeway for 100 miles to the Joshua Tree exit. We got to the park entrance just before sunset, which actually meant the ride through the park was pretty spectacular.

We eventually made it to camp fairly late, but at least we could have a much needed hot shower in the morning!

The next day we had to make LA, but obviously wanted to avoid the freeway, so we decided to take the mountain passes through the San Bernardino Highlands, past Big Bear Lake…

…then on through the San Gabriel Mountains.

We were lucky enough to make LA, just after dark, in rush hour! Trying to follow Zach through 7 lanes of LA traffic, with an over-heating dirt-bike has to go down as one of the worst rides I have completed to date…give me downtown Delhi any day!

The next day we decided to take in the sights, first to Malibu Beach and the Adamson House..

..then a taco van lunch…

…followed by a quick shopping trip to Beverly Hills and Rodoe Drive! Zach loved it!

By this stage my bike decided to tell me it was over the city. It was over heating in the worse places and had developed a hanging idle, stalling in traffic when it felt would be best to do so!

It was clear my bike needed some work (a good carburator clean at the very least), and probably some new, bigger radiators. Zach’s chain and sprockets were also getting worse, quicker than we had anticipated them to.

Unfortunately, due to cash shortages, we decided that we needed to return to Phoenix, and collect the van. Better to give the bikes a rest until we can afford to repair them, then ride further and risk damaging them.

We did however, managed to make it to San Diego to see some more friends, and enjoy a pleasant, almost freeway free ride back.

So, now we are back in Phoenix, back in our van and looking towards our next adventure. We head back to Switzerland, and back to our road bikes. Our XR650’s will be put in storage, and will be ready and waiting for us to take to South America..or even Africa, stand by for the next installment!

Thanks to all of you that have offered and given help, and to the rest of you that have taken time to read and comment on our story. We hope you enjoyed it, until next time….

Andie & Zach
Old 02-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #80
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 125
Thumb

Fantastic report and photos! :) i'll be waiting for the next section!
If you guys ever come down to the south of Europe let me know :)

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #81
AndieFlaps
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
Fantastic report and photos! :) i'll be waiting for the next section!
If you guys ever come down to the south of Europe let me know :)
Portugal.....riding distance of Switzerland for sure, and warmer in late summer....sounds like a good plan to me :-)!