Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #46
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
Worth a read, though I'd prefer to have insurance sorted before leaving UK.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798269
Old 12-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #47
Dr JM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Edit: On a totally different topic, I was considering mooses because of my misfortune in France with an incurable puncture last time, good idea or bad ???
We all used heavy duty tubes and didnt run too low a pressure - not a single puncture between us and the trails were tough in places.

Come and ride with us - Oxford TRF
www.trf.org.uk
Dr JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #48
Dr JM
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm already quite envious of this trip esp as I know what a good time you will all have.
Here is a sample of the trails we rode between Greece (Igoumenitsa) and Albania (Permet) on just one day of our trip!

17th Sept 2013 Leaving Greece for Albania from Dr JM on Vimeo.

www.trf.org.uk
Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #49
Daithi
Destination Unknown.

Oddometer: 175
Hi Dr JM, it was an Extra HD tube I had in that caused me trouble on the SW France trip, the tyres were getting an extra hard time lugging me around. I've decided to go with Mooses for this, might go a bit slack size wise on the back.

Watched your video clip, thanks for posting it and the tracks look great, were you not tempted to pop the bike over the log at 3:15 ?

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...=1#post3496373

Mozzie spray.

Daithi screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 08:44 PM
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #50
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
GYOA--insurance

You are right--Groupama have been integrated into AGEAS at Carol Nash. I've been talking to Carol Nash (where I have a multi bike policy covering my little CRF with fully comp that covers all EU countries--but its not AGEAS), and it seems that AGEAS will offer a green card for Bosnia, Albania and Montenegro--but only 3rd party as they don't like trail bikes--they also don't do multi bike. It also seems that to get just a third party green card for those territories I will have to separately insure the Honda--and then can't carry across my no claims--and pay extra for the green card--in other words possible, but VERY expensive compared to being able to buy it at the borders. It does seem that people get away without buying any insurance (ref the thread link shown on another post)--but if you have a bump it could be a life changer with no insurance. If we could be sure that we could buy insurance at all the borders it does seem to be the best option so far--and be properly covered in all other EU countries with our normal insurance--any comments/suggestions from the Borg Collective?
CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisdut View Post
Yep struggled with insurance that way on earlier trips, Nicky & myself spent 4 days riding round Montenegro without insurance on our last trip that way, because we tend to cross at minor border crossings theres not always places to buy it and thats not good

This year when my renewal was up before the trip I went with Groupama (using Carole Nash as the broker) as they will supply cover for 99% of the world. This was about 60.00 more for the annual policy + the cost of the green card for non-EU countries which I can't remember the cost but that's means that I had full comprehensive insurance in all the countries we rode in

But I've a letter saying that form 31-10-13 my Groupama policy is to be transferred to Ageas not sure if this will effect the cover they offer in the further ?

My only advice is if your renewal is before you go, is to find a company that offers green cards for that area because I don't know any stand alone companies that offers green card cover without having a annual policy.

Sorry not much help I know

Louis
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #51
Magnon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Aren't I the lucky one. My cheapo 30 euro a year 'vehicle de collection' insurance on my 80G/S with AXA automatically covers it for all the places we're going as well Morocco, Israel, Iran and many other interesting places. Kosovo is the only place not in the scheme and we aren't going there, intentionally, anyway.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #52
Rose OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr JM View Post
I'm already quite envious of this trip esp as I know what a good time you will all have.
Here is a sample of the trails we rode between Greece (Igoumenitsa) and Albania (Permet) on just one day of our trip!
That's a brilliant movie Dr.JM, and that's only one day
I'm realy looking forward to this trip, especially after reading your ride report.
Louis has been so kind to send me your routes, so a good chance we will be riding many of the same roads you did.

Rose screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 07:18 AM
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #53
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer: 249
Quote:

17th Sept 2013 Leaving Greece for Albania from Dr JM on Vimeo.

Great vid and brill run report, I didn't even know it was there as most seem to post them in the Europe section including myself!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #54
Dr JM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
were you not tempted to pop the bike over the log at 3:15 ?
Always tempted, it's just that sadly the actuality never quite matches what goes on in my head!

www.trf.org.uk
Old 12-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #55
Daithi
Destination Unknown.

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Always tempted, it's just that sadly the actuality never quite matches what goes on in my head!

Yeah, it looked like you were sizing it up alright, obviously the auld fella on the other side must have put you off...

I'd watched the clip but only saw the ride report when other posters pointed it out, fantastic looking trip, if ours is as good we'll be doing well.

Anybody else finding it hard to get to get sleep just thinking about the trip.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #56
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
That's a brilliant movie Dr.JM, and that's only one day
I'm realy looking forward to this trip, especially after reading your ride report.
Louis has been so kind to send me your routes, so a good chance we will be riding many of the same roads you did.

That's good news indeed.

Maps. The digital ones. Would Open Street Map be a valuable option?

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #57
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbert View Post
Maps. The digital ones. Would Open Street Map be a valuable option?
They served me quite well last year in Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro. Especially in Bosnia where Garmin CN maps are very flaky.
Freytag & Berndt are a good option for paper maps.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:19 AM   #58
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Hello to everyone in this thread. My name is Ivica, coming from Croatia...
Timpo had already contact me, I meet him 2009 on my trip to Isle of Man and he helped me with accomodation, information and all what I did not in Liverpool and in UK. If you need any information about Croatia, and any country in surroundings you can write here or in PM. I ca help you with road, maps, accomodation... (Adriar routes...or any GPS digital maps)...etc...
Have a nice New Year and geetings from Croatia.
Ivica
Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #59
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direktor View Post
Hello to everyone in this thread. My name is Ivica, coming from Croatia...
Timpo had already contact me, I meet him 2009 on my trip to Isle of Man and he helped me with accomodation, information and all what I did not in Liverpool and in UK. If you need any information about Croatia, and any country in surroundings you can write here or in PM. I ca help you with road, maps, accomodation... (Adriar routes...or any GPS digital maps)...etc...
Have a nice New Year and geetings from Croatia.
Ivica
Hi Direktor, I remember Karlovac! We all got pissed wet through going South on WYOA 2012, and all had to find accommadation to dry our kit out at Karlovac. Me and my mate Rich stayed in Hotel Duga Resa and then had to find a bike dealer in Karlovac as my rear brake pads had gone in 4 days! Nice place but hopefully not so wet on the next trip! Cheers
Old 12-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #60
LOZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
rose can you double check with harty the color of the shower doors at the campsite's
as we don't want him spitting the dummy out and going off in a strop for the night cos they clashed with his towel like last time

i mean pink's pink innit

hope his mates aint so fragile

love you harty

loz

LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote