User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Bridgeman OP
2H

Oddometer: 20
Trip to Isle of Man need help

Hello, I would like to set up a trip to see the Isle of Man this coming spring and if possible would like to get some advice from anyone that has gone in the past few years. Will most likely be going myself. So a few questions.

- Would you go with a tour? if so what one and why
- Would you stay on the island or ride the fairy in each morning
- Is their any places to stay on the island
- Has anyone ever tented and if so where did you tent and did it work
- When you did your trip did you rent a motorcycle and did this work out for you
- Best place to spend the most of your time
- Would you go all week or hit a weekend

Thanks for any advice that you could all give me, the hole fairy part of this trip is very confusing to me.

TB
Old 12-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Limey 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I o m

Wow! Where do I begin....Seems to me you are not visiting the island during TT or MGP weeks..that will make it a lot easier finding lodging.My wife and I went to Ireland rented a couple BMW 800's from Celtic Riders Dublin (Paul Rawlins) and included the Manx Gran Prix week...unbelievable...anyway....The island is not large enough to warrant any guided tour...it's only 16 by 30 miles appx...you cannot get lost!..We was very lucky and rented a cottage right on the TT race circuit at Kirkmicheal...Opposite the Motorcycle museum no less!....There is a ferry service..."Steam Packet" runs from Dublin..Belfast and Liverpool UK."You have to check when they run".....may be more so I stand corrected..There are many places to stay..Hotels..tent camping or B & B....Pretty much everyone on the Island is motorcycle friendly.....and you can easily spend a full week or more taking it all in...The motorcycling history cannot be compared....If I would do it again I would certainly contact Paul Rawlins and sign up for a tour of Ireland / IOM and spend a week in each...His company made sure we had all our questions answered and really took care of us....good luck...have fun
Limey 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Bridgeman OP
2H

Oddometer: 20
Sorry I am looking to go for the TT race.

Tb
Old 12-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Maybe my RR will help you a bit.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=ellan+vannin
Old 12-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Limey 1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgeman View Post
Sorry I am looking to go for the TT race.

Tb
Hmmmmm.. Well if you get over there , there is always somebody that can hook you up somewhere!..Seeing as you will be traveling alone it is always a little easier for just one person if you are not too fussy where you lay your head....If you can make contact with any B&B, there is always a chance for cancellations and they also have each others phone numbers and likely would make room or you...Like I said earlier, the Manx people are very good to bikers and will go out of their way to accomodate..Don't worry about staying close to the race circuit. You need to have a bike to travel the island anyway (Rental) ....On race days and practice, remember the race circuit is closed..so if you want to watch the action, position yourself where you want to be and enjoy...The rest of the island carries on as normal.Do everything you can to make this happen..you will not be disappointed...
Old 12-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Limey 1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direktor View Post
Thanks for the RR on the IOM.I would have loved to have travelled all the way thru Europe and UK and had my own bike over there like you did..For me though, from the USA it was the best ever vacation and can imagine you are still talking about it also..The TT week action is just insane! The food was excellent and they never did run out of Guiness!...
Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Hi Todd,
there are plenty of camp sites if that is your go. If you prefer the comforts of home, there are hotels, B&Bs and homestays but book ahead. A bike is not essential, so don't panic if you can't hire one. There is good public transport all around the island.
I don't know if you are familiar with the format; The 1st week is practice starting around 6pm every day, so the days are free for sightseeing, and the 2nd week is racing every second day.
I'm going again this year, so if you are by yourself without a bike, I am happy to show you around if you are game to ride pillion.
Cheers,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote