Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
Racer111v OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Nice build!

I was at the SX at the Metrodome this past April and have some nice pics of Donny Schmidts RM 400 if you want to see it I can post it...

Put it up, it would be nice to see.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #17
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Buy a big bottle of locktite. My experience with RM's is that they spit bolts off the bikes faster than you can install them.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,825
Talking

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #19
MotoChris521
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
SWEET !
Old 01-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
Racer111v OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A few updates

Nice pic D.T. , Thanks

As expected, the rod that Midwest Action Cycles showed as available, isn't. The only other part was a counter shaft sprocket that is back ordered from another dealer.

After a lot of searching , I found a company in Spain that makes two stroke rod kits. A lot of older road race bikes deal with lack of replacement rods. Those bikes will go through several in a busy season. They don't have one specifically listed for a RM400, but will make one with not big problem. I just need to give them a sample of some key dimensions.
The company is F.SAMARIN CO.LTD. They replied right away to my Email. I did find a non oem rod and I am in the middle of closing the deal. I will update how that goes as soon as the deal is done.

Now for some great news. I did my daily ebay ckeck and there is a 1980 RM400 bottom end for sale, with a buy it now option. The seller has a good reputation, and says the crank is in good shape. I hope that is true. He also had a pro ported cylinder with a fresh Wiseco piston, for sale. I bought them both. I wouldn't mind having two good engines when the dust settles.

I have a rear wheel on it's way. I still need a rear brake backing plate. I bought a DG pipe and silencer, they will be here Friday. I would still like a RM swingarm, but the PE one will work fine in the mean time.

I got in touch with RK Tech and as soon as I can give them some dimensions, I will send them the head to rework the chamber. This is something these big bikes really respond to.

Later
Old 01-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #21
Enginerd
n00b

Oddometer: 3
The RM is looking good! I had an 80 RM400 that I sold 18 years ago to buy a KX500. I would love to have another one!
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #22
Racer111v OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Things are progressing, but not a lot of pictures right now. Today was in the high 40's and sunny, so I went out side and did some frame work. I sprayed it with some engine degreaser. I cleaned up the area and tig welded it back together. I think I will do some gusseting in that area. My thinking is a piece of tubing split in half and welded on the lower tube. I thick most of the issue was the wipped out crank, missing engine mount bolts, and tin front mounts. But a little help down there won't hurt. I can see where they stick welded the area in front of the footpeg. I ground out the old weld and tig'd it. I think I will do a little gusseting around there too. I ground off the PE brake cable mount that was added to make that rear wheel work. I also ground off the side stand mount that doesn't belong on mx bike. While I had the welder running I ran a bead around steering races and they fell right out as expected. They make a kit to convert to taper roller steering head bearing that I am going with. I am going to test fit everything on the frame before I have it blasted/painted/powdercoated.

I have a connecting rod on order, and I will have more info when it arrives. I did a bunch of glass beading on the head, cylinder, cases, and covers. The clutch cover has some pin holes that I think I will just "red epoxy" closed. The swing arm needs a little welding in the guard mounts. I glass beaded it, and will probably just aluminum paint it when it's all sorted out.

The bottom end I got off EBAY finally showed up. It looks to be in great shape with a tight crank. I will never order any parts around Christmas again. Every one shipped out right away, and then the stuff gets lost for weeks in the USPS system. The rear wheel I ordered got completely lost and we have given up on it. The seller is reimbursing me, and I have already ordered another one.

I will have another update when I have some pics.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #23
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,103
Some more thoughts for you 111. Use MotionPro clutch and front brake cables as they give you the full range of motion without stretch on those drum brakes and really release your clutch without drag. Stockers are small diameter and stretchy. The bike shakes quite a bit at higher revs and they tend to oval out the motor mount holes so check those against your bolts....and loctite everything.The frame materials were unfortunately pretty crappy steel back then, so any additional gussets are a plus. I will tell you they are fast when they are right. We used to use S&W shocks on the back of ours which were far superior to stockers. Not made for years though.... and you want Nitrogens back there anyway. Not sure if "period rules" allow rebound damping. If they do ,get a shock with comp/rebound.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #24
Racer111v OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Things are starting to show up. It's been a international web trip of education. At least some of the dis-assembly is over and some reconstruction is starting.

Two packages like this showed up a few days ago. One is the cases/crank/transmission. The other is the cylinder/piston/ring.

I straightened out the shift shaft at work with an arbor press and a surface plate. I installed it in the cases with a new seal. I shifted it through the gears to be sure it was located correct. It took a few attempts to get it right.

The clutch from the original engine has a lot of indentations from the clutch plates. I bought a new file and flatened out the ridges. This will make the clutch lever pull a little easier. I used a new nut and lock plate, some locktite, and torqued the clutch hub in place. This nut was finger tight when I pulled the original engine apart.

I soaked the clutch plates in motor oil. I used the original steel plates and new oem fibers. The pressure plate bolts were locktited and torqued. This bike has an internal clutch adjustment. The PO added some washers that I removed and correctly adjusted the play. I sanded out the epoxy on the clutch cover and hit it with some black engine enamel. I pressed in a new kick starter seal and installed it with a oem gasket and some non-oem socket head cap screws. I have never been impressed with the fasteners that Suzuki used.

I installed a new sprocket, nut, and locking washer. I was going to install the rotor and ignition, but when they removed the rotor they deformed the threads a little on the crank. I'll borrow a die and thread file from work next week and clean it up.

I ordered new front and rear spokes from Buchanan. I have a new Excel front rim and will order a rear next week.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #25
P 0 P E Y E
Bald rider

Oddometer: 113
I had a RM 370 back in the early 80s.

It was wounderful.

Nice pics
Old 02-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #26
Racer111v OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It was a reasonably nice day out side, so I did a little work on the frame. I bought a piece of 1.5" ID x .065" wall tubing to reinforce the lower cross tube on the frame. The pictures didn't come out that well, but at least you can get an idea of what I did. I still think the cracking was from the loose and missing engine mount bolts, and the completely wiped out crank. This thing must have been trying to shake it's self to death.

I cut a slice out of the tubing with a cutoff blade in my angle grinder

I have received lots of parts, but seam to always be missing the part I need to get to the next step. I have received the front and rear spoke sets from Buchanans, but the rear wheel looks to good to take apart. I'll keep an eye out for a used rear hub to lace up and have a spare wheel.

More to come........................

Old 02-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #27
Racer111v OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I finally found the right wrist pin for the Wiseco piston. I emailed Wiseco because I couldn't find a catalog old enough to list the RM400 piston. They replied without any info other than a phone number of someone with discontinued Wiseco parts, and it was disconnected. The correct pin ended up being part number S343.

I got the top end together enough to get a deck height. I sent the info and the cylinder head out to RK Tek to have the chamber welded and reshaped.

The connecting rod for engine #2 arrived from NZ. It looks well made and is made out of EN39B which is a lot tougher than the oem rod. I'll bring it to the shop soon and record all the dimensions.

The fenders , gripper safety seat foam and cover have arrived. I'll have more on that when the time comes. I also located some tank and side cover decals. I went with the 1980 style, I just like them better.

My next panic was the fact that the swingarm parts I ordered were all to large..... Turns out the swing arm isn't a PE250/400, it's a PE175...

So for the last two weeks I have been searching the world for an appropriate piece. But the good news is I have a 1979 rm400, and a 1980 rm400 on there way from Cali.

I have also bought a couple sets of Fox Air Shox. I made some tools to take these apart. The 15.75" long are a little scarce, so I took a chance on a set of 15.5" long, hoping the seller had just mismeasured. When they arrived the did measure 15.5". I didn't think they made a set that long, so I was hoping for internal spacers. I was rewarded with a .25" spacer on the shaft. They have a little pitting on one shaft, so I am going to send it out to get it refinished. More on these later.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #28
Racer111v OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not much progress this week. One of the swingarms will be here Tuesday, the other one will be later in the week. I ordered controls, and throttle (Magura). I attempted to lace the front wheel last weekend, but the spokes were to short to do the original cross three pattern. I emailed Bucanans a couple times with no reply. I finally got a chance to call them and was initially told the spoke length was correct. Then with a little more investigating I was told that Suzuki started production with a cross two pattern, and after a few broken hubs changed to a cross three pattern. The increased spoke angle takes some load off the hub. They said the spokes would work with a X2 pattern, or they would send me the longer spokes for a X3 pattern. I said I would prefer the longer spokes, and was told they would get them right out for me.

I am glad I got going on this project right away. In spite of the tough winter this year, I know spring will be here quickly. I'm going to need every minute of practice time , for both me and the bike.........

Old 03-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #29
Racer111v OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The '80 swing arm arrived, and it's in excellent shape. After two weeks, and an email saying it will soon be on it's way, the second ('79) swing arm isn't here. I got a call yesterday saying it wasn't the correct swing arm and they have credited my card. I have fork springs,fork bushings, and fork oil on it's way. I already have a RaceTech emulator and hope to attack the forks next weekend.

It was nice out for a few hours, so I did some tailgate work. I got a "safety seat" as they were call. The PO did a half-assed job installing a new seat cover. There was bits of the old cover and lots of rusty staples.

The seat bracket was sheet metal screwed onto the base and had been welded a few times. I remember seeing racers loosing seats more than once in the 70's/80's. Many times it was from leaving the seat bolts loose or out after cleaning the air filter. But some times it was just the brackets breaking. The modern bikes are designed better as far as seat design. This bike takes a lot of load on the brackets and really needs another arched brace under the seat base. For now I'll just make sure the original set up will work. I made a plate with a couple 6mm nuts welded to it.

This is the stock seat next to the new foam.

And now the finished seat

I did some work on the side plate brackets and some details on the frame. At this point the plan is to just spray bomb the frame and get it together and running. At some time this summer I will pull it back apart and have the frame blasted and professionally painted or powder coated. I did some machine work on the steering stem to fit the tapered roller bearings. I'll detail that a little more later. The X3 front spokes will be here the first of the week, so I hope to have that laced soon. I have new wheel bearing to install in it also.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #30
Racer111v OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The spokes arrived and the front wheel is laced. It warmed up last Saturday so I got some paint on the frame. I'll admit to painting over some mud.

The "ALL BALLS" tapered steering head bearings are not a drop in install. They require the steering stem to be machined. Not a big deal but not something your going to do without access to a decent size lathe.

The lower tapered bearing needs to be pressed on to the steering stem. I made a small spacer to do this because the roller cage sit a little above the inner race. I used a bearing inductive heater to install the bearing about 80% of the way. Then I used an arbor press and this spacer, along with some bearing press tools to seat it.

I made a tool to install the races in the frame. The press fit is pretty mild, and you might get away with tapping them in with a soft hammer.

Installing the upper race.

Then the lower race.

I used a hand drill to open up the foot peg pivot hole for a set of stock DR-Z 400E foot pegs. These are a lot wider than the RM pegs. The aftermarket DR-Z pegs are available even wider.

I needed a swing arm pivot bolt and nut, so I made one out of chromoly at work. They are 15mm which is a very unusual diameter.

The spacers that came with the swing arm were in great shape, so they are going back in. Here's on compared to the later ones still available from Suzuki.

I slipped the swing arm and one shock one to see how it will look.

I picked up a rebuilt spare engine for a good price. I'll use this for a few rides to make sure it's sorted out. Nothing worse than thrashing to put in your spare engine, and find out it has an issue.

They are having a hard time welding the head I sent out, so I bought another one on Ebay. I hope to have that in there hands the first of next week. I have all the parts to do the forks. I should be able to start putting this thing together this weekend