ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which version looks best/ would interest you?
Carbon Fiber w/ running lights 15 17.86%
Carbon Fiber w/o running lights 3 3.57%
Brushed Aluminum w/ running lights 12 14.29%
Brushed Aluminum w/o running lights 8 9.52%
Black Anodized Aluminum w/ running lights 33 39.29%
Black Anodized Aluminum w/o running lights 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #16
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Nice work. Great to see a modern upgrade to the 1100 GS lamp. Can you give us fly by wire servos for the TB's too?
Old 12-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #17
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Nice! What do they weigh?
Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #18
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
I should be receiving a prototype by the end of next week and I will be giving a full detailed accounting of the light and mount in the coming weeks.

Harley Davidson: The cure for the common man.
71 R75, 73 R75, 81 R65, 97 R1100GS
guitstik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
pacman6009
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Mil-Spec, Dot Approved Class 7 LED Headlight upgrade for R1100GS (+long-winde...

Looks great CG, well done?

I love my 1100GS and can't see a time without her, that said I can't see at night riding her - your mod looks like the fix.

Why did you drop the running LED's?

Will you ship to Australia?

Pacman
pacman6009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
First off,
Thanx all for the compliments.
And no, I like cable throttles on my adventure/zombie vampire apocalypse survival bike!

Anton, you engineer you...the carbon fiber unit weighs maybe a pound and half over the oem lite. I shipped my drug scale off to location in advance and the kitchen scale maxed out on the oem light while weighing it. I will check my cad file and get a weight from it. When I collect my shniz I'll do a proper weight check to compare. (The cad is usually right on....) FYI, the lamp kit has a ring that fits outside the stock lite back housing, so the weight is carried by the whole magilla. The stainless versions are another pound or so. I'm trying to gauge interest before I buy a sheet of 0.094 7075 aluminum to cut up.

As for shipping to Australia, it would be an honor and a privilege to know a 1100gs is fitted with this kit down under. I don't know what the shipping cost would be...
The running lights are a pain to wire. If you can solder, I'll send the LEDs and you can connect. If you need me to do it, it may take a while as I am starting work on a feature and my time will be limited so you may have to wait a bit...

Divide and exploit. Works every time.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #21
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

I should probably ask this in a PM but since there is interest in this mod. Where can I pick up some LED's to add to the prototype you shipped me?

Old 12-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Weights, not including the Truck-Lite unit....

Carbon Fiber=1.15lbs
Aluminum=1.25lbs
Stainless Steel=1.75lbs

I cant find anywhere the weight of the LED online and as I stated in a previous post I won't have an accurate scale for a couple weeks.
Just by comparing the LED to the oem reflector, bulb, hardware and plastic bezel (the gak the kit replaces) they are very close.
So in the end, the weights listed above will be the approximate additional weight total added to the bike. Considering many peeps add much more weight up front with radar detectors, aux lights, nav etc, this seems trivial.
The real concern would be if the kits weighed 3 or 4 times more than they do there might be an issue with the plastic housing fatiguing and cracking.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
I'll be marking this one for later. Looks better than the other HL mods I have seen.
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,650
I'm in. I've been wanting a lighting upgrade for my 1100 for some time now. Any idea when you will have them available for sale?

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Wouldn't ya know it, see this thread and my low beam is burned out when I get off work. I don't suppose you have a carbon kit ready to go? :-)
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #26
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanx again for the interest,

This farkle is in the final stages of development and the comments and input from all here will help decide the final form it takes.

I want to get a handful out there asap for feedback and suggestions so it won't be too long. That said, I'd like to wait until I see enough interest to A) get a sense of amounts of material to order and B) whittle down the number of versions to the most popular pair.

Because the volume is so low, the margin is tight.

I have a version of each here but I'll need them for assembly instruction photos and promo needs.

I would ask that we consider this like a "Group Buy".

All that is needed for me is enough interest that the total of parts for any given component will account for the better portion of a 4x4 sheet. I'd think lots of 6 would work. I have most of the hardware already except for those 4 metric stand-offs that cost $1.50ea!
I ordered another light from ebay so I don't have to keep disassembling my bike to take pictures, measure and test assemble kits before shipping.
And I'm packing to move to Baton Rouge for the next 6 months-flying on the 6th already. Life is busy!
In the end, this actually works to our advantage because I'll have access to all the equipment needed to professionally de-horn the raw cut parts before shipping.

I appreciate your patience.

PS: Those folks purchasing the Truck-Lite in advance....when you use test leads to see the light in action because you just can't wait, do it outside and hold the light at the same height as the bike. When I tried it inside I was not impressed and had some doubt. Only outside will that light shine....
Old 12-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I slept on it last night (kinda uncomfortable on the back...)
I'm gonna go ahead and buy the materials to satisfy the interest already shown plus a little extra.

This means that the ball will be rolling later this week with the material standing by at the water saw facility and will be cut as soon as the machine becomes available.
This will be another chunk to invest but I think having half a dozen happy, excited end-users riding around enjoying it and generating interest can't hurt.

What this means. I can't guarantee a ship date because there are too many variables but I'm shooting for 3 weeks. First to ship will likely be no running light carbon fiber kits followed by CF/w running lights.

The aluminum kits will follow once I find a aluminum anodizer in Baton Rouge that will run small quantities and not take me to the cleaners.

Now to the last bit to cover.

I have two kits I can release now. I will hold the rest back for reasons already stated in my previous post.
Here are the options...
The two can be stainless steel or one can be converted to a hybrid of carbon front face and stainless back. For simplicities sake these are no running light versions.

$125 for the stainless kit and $150 for the carbon fiber. Domestic shipping =$12.50.
PM me. Consideration given to those who've already expressed interest.
Let me know.

Edit: I wrote the above from bed using tapatalk and didn't see the poll results.
Looks like the two kits offered above do not satisfy requests...so...
For the two early adopters I extend this pledge. I will, for the cost of postage and the difference in price, if any, send when available the parts to retrofit their kits to match their desire. So the stainless kit will be converted to aluminum, either option and same for the carbon fiber kit. Just send back the old parts. The only downtime to endure is the time needed to switch out the parts- I can do a non running light version in 5 mins.
A running light version takes 15mins tops.
This way they can get the benefit of the headlight ASAP and know they are gonna get exactly what they want shortly.
Also, I state this before all here on ADVRider, that there is a 90 day money back guarantee. I only ask that you fit the headlight on the bike, adjust the aim and try it for a couple days. I am confident of complete satisfaction.

In a few days I'll have pictures up detailing assembly and installation instructions.

CopperGreen screwed with this post 12-30-2013 at 07:43 AM
CopperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #28
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

That CFw/o looks smokin' hot. I'm just a sucker for naked parts

Old 12-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #29
rhj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
led headlight kit

I am in for one! My '97 GS is great at so many things, but lighting up the darkness is not one of them! Al. would be preferred, but, at this stage it makes little diff! Great job Cu!
rhj
rhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #30
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Simple pic of plugging in running light version.
I'm testing various power options. Here is shown with a DC/DC converter to drop voltage down to 4.2v. I'm going to test using resisters only next.
The running lights tap into the parking lamp wires.

Divide and exploit. Works every time.

CopperGreen screwed with this post 12-30-2013 at 08:29 AM
CopperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote