ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which version looks best/ would interest you?
Carbon Fiber w/ running lights 15 17.86%
Carbon Fiber w/o running lights 3 3.57%
Brushed Aluminum w/ running lights 12 14.29%
Brushed Aluminum w/o running lights 8 9.52%
Black Anodized Aluminum w/ running lights 33 39.29%
Black Anodized Aluminum w/o running lights 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #46
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,803
Add me to the growing cadre of alu w/o runners
Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #47
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Thanx all for the interest...

I'm still getting set up here, (haven't found a place to live yet...) but doing what I can, like getting custom circuit boards made for the running light kits.
I appreciate your patience.
To those outside the US who are interested- if your willing to pay the postage I'm willing to send!

Divide and exploit. Works every time.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #48
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,352
Also count me in. Added my vote to the poll that stands at about 40 replies now.

I think you have to re-start this over in Vendors at some point or the Mods will do it for you.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #49
pbrokaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Got mine installed!! took pics,how do you post them up?

Guys and Gals:
I installed Coppers LED headlight conversion last night in the garage. Its currently snowy,and cold and above all SALTY in Wis so a test ride will have to wait....

For the benefit of the forum members ,I shot photos of the install and have before and after shots of my GS with the old headlight equipped with a PIAA super plasma GTX bulb vs the Truck Lite unit now installed.

I don't know how to post the photos up on the site. I am a reader,not usually a poster. If i post it's a text paragraph or two. This deserves a good wright up by me in my opinion as Cooper has made a nice product enhancement to the R11's . About time our bikes get to shine verses all the talk of those "new fangled" R12GS's both oil and shudder!! water cooled.

Anyhow,if you folks would give me a shove in the right direction.... I will get my arse in gear and get a review up on the site!!!

Thanks

Perry
pbrokaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #50
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I have new digs here in Baton Rouge- a nice furnished two bedroom.
Progress has been made on making the kits, like a custom printed circuit board design for the running light version. I've looked and found a few water saw and laser cutters here but I think I'll stick with my guy in Los Angeles. Makes it a pain for him and me but oh well. Next I have to find a shop that can do type 2 anodizing for the aluminum versions. I really hope there's one local.
The pieces are falling together.
That said....
I'm hesitating pulling the trigger on spending thousands of dollars to get the parts for the kits until I hear field reports from the early adopters.
It's one thing to install (which seems to be easy) but another is the actual impression riding with it at night...
I personally love it but I'm easily satisfied and can't provide an impartial, un-biased critique.
With my luck I'll have a $tack of parts ready only to find the interest disappear overnight because of a bad review.
I don't think that will happen but once again, we're dealing with my luck with stuff like this.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #51
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

You might want to consider contacting member "Poolside" who did something like this, and ask him for some pointers. I believe he required a certain number of orders and payment in full in advance BEFORE he would start making a new batch of his products. That way he was never out-of-pocket and all his customers were locked in. Inmates are generally very trusting souls.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #52
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
I have the light on order and it should be here by end of Week. Will try to install and report back ASAP, hopefully before I leave for the weekend with the gf. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours to install.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #53
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrokaw View Post
For the benefit of the forum members ,I shot photos of the install and have before and after shots of my GS with the old headlight equipped with a PIAA super plasma GTX bulb vs the Truck Lite unit now installed . . . . I don't know how to post the photos up on the site. I am a reader, not usually a poster. . . . Anyhow,if you folks would give me a shove in the right direction . . . . I will get my arse in gear and get a review up on the site!!!

Thanks

Perry
Perry, once you know how, posting a pic to a thread takes about 30 seconds. Instructions are HERE. In short, here's how it's done--
  1. take a picture with a digital camera and save that pic to your computer
  2. use some sort of photo editing software to crop and straighten and otherwise fix the pic. especially important to shrink the pic down to a reasonable size that will fit on a typical computer screen--usually no wider that 1028 pixels.
  3. upload the pic to your online photo album. the two most popular online picture hosting sites are Smugmug and Photobucket.
  4. copy the hotlink for that pic from your host
  5. click somewhere in your post where you want the photo to appear, then click on the "Insert Image" button, paste the hotlink, then click OK.
You can use THIS THREAD for testing and once you got it figgered out you are good to go!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #54
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperGreen View Post
So I have new digs here in Baton Rouge- a nice furnished two bedroom.
Progress has been made on making the kits, like a custom printed circuit board design for the running light version. I've looked and found a few water saw and laser cutters here but I think I'll stick with my guy in Los Angeles. Makes it a pain for him and me but oh well. Next I have to find a shop that can do type 2 anodizing for the aluminum versions. I really hope there's one local.
The pieces are falling together.
That said....
I'm hesitating pulling the trigger on spending thousands of dollars to get the parts for the kits until I hear field reports from the early adopters.
It's one thing to install (which seems to be easy) but another is the actual impression riding with it at night...
I personally love it but I'm easily satisfied and can't provide an impartial, un-biased critique.
With my luck I'll have a $tack of parts ready only to find the interest disappear overnight because of a bad review.
I don't think that will happen but once again, we're dealing with my luck with stuff like this.
CG, I should have a ride report with the adapter and Truck-lite on a night ride as I am usually returning home in the wee hours riding a combination of back roads and Interstate. I am also going to try and get a Youtube video of a night ride with and without the Truck-lite.

Harley Davidson: The cure for the common man.
71 R75, 73 R75, 81 R65, 97 R1100GS
guitstik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 AM   #55
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #56
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
OK, how different is the 1150 GS headlight compared to the 1100? I know quite a few parts made the transition but not all.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #57
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post
OK, how different is the 1150 GS headlight compared to the 1100? I know quite a few parts made the transition but not all.
1 single rectangle - 1100
2 individual round -1150

Very different
Old 01-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #58
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Got my light, fitted it up, short spin down the block, heading for work, more info later. It's been a rush rush day, ugh!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #59
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OH MY GOD.
WHAT A TEASE!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #60
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperGreen View Post
OH MY GOD.
WHAT A TEASE!
OK, no pictures yet but the install went pretty well. I'll try to take a couple photos when I leave work in the morning. Took about an hour including removing the stocker but I was rushing. Had to get the picture back out to see how the parts were supposed to fit together and after that it went a little smoother. Gotta look at the picture guys. The plug on the light is really tight, took some effort to plug in and then when I realized 2 of the parts go on before plugging in the light it took even more effort to unplug it. I got the top screw started and then got the other parts on and the left lower screw went in partway so I had some play to get the other one started but it didn't thread in. Looked like it was off half a hole. I realized after looking with the flashlight there is a lip on the headlight rear shell that I needed to "Flex" a little to go inside the rear stainless piece. Once that was in, the screw started and I tightened it all up.
These pieces are very tight fitting together, meaning they have no play and it's very accurate cutting. I tried installing it with the fairing on but took it off when I could not get the screw started. Just take the fairing off first thing its much easier.

I put the fairing back on and started the bike, checked the beam and it looked about the right height so I went for a ride around the neighborhood. Low beam seemed about right, there is a very wide light pattern right in front and spans practically the whole road width. Seems to be a spotlight pattern that shoots out and lights up the center quite a ways in front center of road. High beam is really nice, illuminates the road well and signs really light up in the distance.

I think it looks pretty cool and I'm happy.

I'll try to get some riding picts and some as installed photos tomorrow.