ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which version looks best/ would interest you?
Carbon Fiber w/ running lights 14 17.72%
Carbon Fiber w/o running lights 3 3.80%
Brushed Aluminum w/ running lights 12 15.19%
Brushed Aluminum w/o running lights 8 10.13%
Black Anodized Aluminum w/ running lights 29 36.71%
Black Anodized Aluminum w/o running lights 13 16.46%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 AM   #76
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Bungholio, send it back for full refund. I'll pay postage too.

Divide and exploit. Works every time.

CopperGreen screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 02:26 AM
CopperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #77
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
I don't understand why he is having this concern as I have the same screen, granted mine probably sits farther forward at the top because I modified the guide/knobs so that the top sits higher and farther forward. I had a TT headlight/oil cooler guard that I tried to install with the Truck-lite, I didn't like the way it mounted so I took it off but it was about an inch to an inch and half farther forward of where it had been with the stock headlight.

Harley Davidson: The cure for the common man.
71 R75, 73 R75, 81 R65, 97 R1100GS
guitstik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #78
pbrokaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
For those with the back scatter light problems. I wounder if a coat of plasti dip spray coating around the forward protrusion of the actual truck lite lens would be a fix for this. The plasti dip is removable. It just peels off with a little effort. I have used it on my CRV wheels to give them the black mad Max look,beats silver anyway...

I will try this with mine when I actually ride it. Winter is a shit time for bike farkel testing:(

Perry
pbrokaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #79
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
I don't understand why he is having this concern as I have the same screen, granted mine probably sits farther forward at the top because I modified the guide/knobs so that the top sits higher and farther forward. I had a TT headlight/oil cooler guard that I tried to install with the Truck-lite, I didn't like the way it mounted so I took it off but it was about an inch to an inch and half farther forward of where it had been with the stock headlight.
I was offering what I observed. I did tilt the screen back to the normal position and it reduced the reflection of light. I grabbed a shop rag at diagonal corners and rolled it up then laid it inside the fairing above the headlight. Blocked all the light reflections. This is just temporary. I consider the light reflecting off the fairing akin to driving at night with the dome light on in my truck. I am not dissatisfied at all with the kit or the light, and I hope nobody has that impression. I do not want to send it back.
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #80
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm not meaning to give you the impression that I am castigating you about your comments, I am just offering up my observations as a counter point to yours. I only just installed the Truck-lite yesterday and have not had sufficient time riding with it at night to see if that is a major problem but it was one of the concerns that I was aware of last night on my short ride to look for. I understand what you are saying about spill over into the cockpit area as that was a huge concern for me with the stock headlight and I wanted to make sure that it did not occur with the Truck-lite. It could be that my modification to the Givi screen adjustment is sufficient to minimize the back scatter with the Truck-lite. I think CG's concern is that he has put a lot of time and effort into the adapter that he is a some what protective of it and may see your comments as derogatory even tho they may not be intended in such a manner. In my opinion, the adapter he has offered up is well thought out and executed but even with that there are always minor tweaks that can be done to improve anything that is why he offered it up to several Beta testers to see if there was anything that could be done to improve upon the initial design. As an engineer, I don't really see anything that would improve the over all design but there is one thing that I would have done differently and that is to have used a counter sunk screws with CS washers to spread out the fastening load but that is more an aesthetics issue for me than it is a design flaw. I have a tendency to over engineer something and make it more complicated than it should be.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #81
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

The ride from work this morning at 2AM was so much better than it had been in the past because of the Truck-lite that I had little fear of not being able to see those nocturnal critters that proliferate the rural back roads that I traverse. When I left work the temperature was down to 6F and when I cranked the bike my ABS lights didn't go into trouble mode as they had with the stock headlight and cold temperatures. It is now like having a spot light and flood light on the bike with clean crisp white light that illuminates everything in my path and off to the sides. This is great, I had been wishing for a high beam that was brighter than the indicator light on the dash and now I have it.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #82
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Guitstik, how's the low beam cut-off? By this I mean does the low beam have a nice sharp upper edge so you can aim it to not blind oncoming drivers? I hate it when cagers flash their high beams at me even though I'm riding with the low beam.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #83
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Drone, I'll let the beta testers respond but have a look at the pictures I posted on page 1. look to the right and you'll see a white fence off to the side. Imagine that cut-off across the whole swath. I have mine adjusted so it slices the windshield washers of on-coming traffic.
I have to be careful when I give it gas 'cause the front lifts up and flashes the cagers.
It's the equivalent of hitting a speed bump. Lasts a fraction of a second.
The light has a spot in the center to look way down the road, but in my hundreds of miles I now have logged with this light at night I'm not getting blipped anymore then before. What has changed is if they have they're hi beams on and I blip mine, they switch down a lot faster
Old 01-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #84
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Guitstik, how's the low beam cut-off? By this I mean does the low beam have a nice sharp upper edge so you can aim it to not blind oncoming drivers? I hate it when cagers flash their high beams at me even though I'm riding with the low beam.
Yes it does have a nice sharp even cutoff.
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #85
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
CopperGreen, I did look at the page 1 pics before I asked my question. But now I see what you're saying about the fence and the cut-off and the bright spot in the center. So that's good. Really looking forward to you getting done with the beta testing and moving into the production phase. I never liked the look of the beady-eyed TT projectors, and the Wunderlich 2-lamp solution just somehow never looked right either. I think yours is gonna be great.

By the way, whatcha gonna call it? You need to give it a name. You could just call it the CopperGreen, but that's a mouthful. How about the CG7?
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #86
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

FYI,
I'm concentrating on the clear and black anodized aluminum versions, both with and without conspicuity LEDs.
I don't know when or if I'll get to the carbon fiber kits as there isn't enough interest at that price point to justify at this time.
The stainless kits are not going to go into production for the same reason.
Prices for the aluminum kits with additional anti back scatter shield included tbd.

Divide and exploit. Works every time.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #87
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

Drone, it does have a sharp even cutoff that is clearly defined. If you read my initial review you will find that I stated that there is a rectangle of light with a bright spot in the middle and with high beam it looks like a three layer cake of light. It is like having a bright spot light with a flood light now. I have found one major drawback to this new found illumination tho and that is speed limit signs. In the darkest of night with the high beam on, when it hits that white reflective sign, the light gets thrown right back at you. God forbid, you come around a curve and that middle "spot" hits the sign you will be blinded. I have my light set at the correct height but the light is so bright now oncoming traffic still flash me. And if you are wondering, the low beam is set 2" lower than the center of the headlight at 25'. I too, never fell in love with either of the two light options that were available for our bikes. I think that CG's take is simple, elegant and understated and fits the flow and style of the bike perfectly.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:56 AM   #88
CopperGreen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We are in production.
Long live the "TLA1100"
Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #89
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,082
TLA1100

Total Light Annihilation???

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #90
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
TLA1100

Total Light Annihilation???
That, would, be, DARKNESS.