User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Tifosi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
The debate: Michelin Desert Vs. Michelin Baja

Okay well having looked through a few threads on the two people pretty much like both tires, the main complaint on the Baja was that it wore faster and was a little looser than the desert. Now most of the people saying this were on a 640 or larger bike, my debate is which one for a 530 or smaller. I know the desert has a much stiffer side wall which resists punctures and the like but it is designed for a heavier bike, on the lighter bikes my thinking is that the more fluid sidewall on the Baja wouldn't be as much of a wear issue since the lighter bike wouldn't put it under as much strain. There is no debating the Desert is a fantastic all-around tire but which is better for the lighter lower displacement bikes? Perhaps Charlie will chime in (though unlikely probably up to his neck in details for this years race) or someone else that has run a 525 in Dakar and how well the big heavy tire worked on the lighter bike.

As a reference the use of this tire will be Rally Moto and maybe NRE. I am really torn I know all the virtues of the desert but I can't help but feel that the Baja would produce similar results on a lighter bike. Thanks and happy new year everyone.
Tifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
dirty dave
Banned

Oddometer: 1,086
i know of 2 people who did the baja 1k(1296mi) on one set of tires. maxxis desert IT
i had a scheduled rear tire change at race mile600 and the tire was fine checked it again at rm900 at looked like it could easily go the distance but changed it anyway.

maybe your question is regarding dot knobbies, im not sure if the maxxis is dot
dirty dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dave

maybe your question is regarding dot knobbies, im not sure if the maxxis is dot
It's not.

But it rocks!

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
Tifosi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Really DOT or non DOT doesn't matter, mainly looking for experiences and comparisons on the two tires but more importantly experiences with either tires from those with bikes that are 530 or smaller. From what I understnad the Michelin Desert is a dynamite all around tire, the Baja is great as well though a they wear faster, and they seem to have in some situations a little more grip and in others a little less grip. One thing I noticed is that those noting that the Baja had high wear rates were usually on 640s or larger bikes. I know the Desert tire is pretty big and heavy so I wondered if it was too much for a smaller displacement bike? Because most of the rallys have very changeable conditions I am looking for a great all-around tire, also because it will be hard for me to replicate the roads of certain rallys I want to find a tire that works well on most everything that way I can test in So Cal and have the tire perform well and consistently in both places. I also do not want to be changing tires for each event as I find this is too expensive, there is not perfect tire but these seem to be close to being good on all surfaces.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
dirty dave
Banned

Oddometer: 1,086
i forgot to mention that the bikes i mentioned earlier were both on 530's
dirty dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi
From what I understnad the Michelin Desert is a dynamite all around tire,
I have never heard that from anyone who has used them. I know nothing about riding in the desert but at a Scot Harden class, he was asked about the Desert and responded "it sucks". He said it sucks when it's new, sucks when it's old, and sucks in the middle. The only thing good about it was consistent.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950
at a Scot Harden class, he was asked about the Desert and responded "it sucks". He said it sucks when it's new, sucks when it's old, and sucks in the middle. The only thing good about it was consistent.

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950
I have never heard that from anyone who has used them. I know nothing about riding in the desert but at a Scot Harden class, he was asked about the Desert and responded "it sucks". He said it sucks when it's new, sucks when it's old, and sucks in the middle. The only thing good about it was consistent.
Scot Harden rides a bit differently most of the rest of us though. At the NRE this year he burned through a rear tire every day on his 950 SE. I think he killed a Dunlop 908, a michelin Desert, and not sure what the other was. I managed to barely wear the Dunlop 908 I had on my 950...of course I didnt have the bike sideways around every single corner at every given moment. For those of us who ride a little less aggressively in a more dual sport format the desert holds up well and lasts a long time. I only have experience with the rear.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,926
Question still to fully decide

Have used both Baja and Desert on my Husaberg FE650 rallye bike

With the rallye gear on board its about the same weight as a standard 525/530, but with more hp of course

I prefer the grip of the Baja but found the wear rate better on the Desert, but use the Desert in preference due to much better puncture resistance than the Baja.

That said am going to experiment with Baja's and mousses to see if that solves the issue, if it does probably then will only use the Deserts in actual rallye events but not general riding.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,008
Usualy the grippier tires are the ones that wear faster....softer compounds tend to deform and grip better. I have been hearing that in the automotive world they are using some new materials that allow for the production of performance tires that offer good grip and much better wear then before. It would be nice to see this transfer over. I'd love something as tacky as a trials tire in the shape of a Michelin desert with the same mileage capability.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez
It's not.

But it rocks!
One thing good about the Maxxis Desert IT is that there is no stamp stating D.O.T or non D.O.T.

the inspectors here in texas don't notice and pass my bike everytime.

I followed Scot real (too) close for about 5 mile at the 06 NRE during one of the "test" sections and let me tell you... he roosted the crap out of me with that 950. I don't think he could ever get traction on that bike. what tire doesn't suck being ridden like that. I never seen anyone else chuck a tire so fast in my life.

He's still fast for an Old man...

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
dustjunkie
Got Stick Meat?

Oddometer: 1,426
I always ran D739s, just switched to Desert it, and I am not looking back... This is on a 530

Jake
Old 01-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
LUDO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi
Okay well having looked through a few threads on the two people pretty much like both tires, the main complaint on the Baja was that it wore faster and was a little looser than the desert. Now most of the people saying this were on a 640 or larger bike, my debate is which one for a 530 or smaller. I know the desert has a much stiffer side wall which resists punctures and the like but it is designed for a heavier bike, on the lighter bikes my thinking is that the more fluid sidewall on the Baja wouldn't be as much of a wear issue since the lighter bike wouldn't put it under as much strain. There is no debating the Desert is a fantastic all-around tire but which is better for the lighter lower displacement bikes? Perhaps Charlie will chime in (though unlikely probably up to his neck in details for this years race) or someone else that has run a 525 in Dakar and how well the big heavy tire worked on the lighter bike.

As a reference the use of this tire will be Rally Moto and maybe NRE. I am really torn I know all the virtues of the desert but I can't help but feel that the Baja would produce similar results on a lighter bike. Thanks and happy new year everyone.
from experience, if you run a desert tire with an enduro mousse, it is flexible enough on a 525. If you run the real desert mousse in a desert tire on a 525, it doesnt matter how much heavier w/ gasoline the bike is, it will bounce lft and right and feel very weird when riding.

so, I would go Baja tire with either mousse or if you look for longevity of the tire alone, Desert tire w/ fresh enduro mousse and try not to go too fast (over 100km/h.) for a long time on the road with the enduro mousse.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:06 AM   #14
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUDO
from experience, if you run a desert tire with an enduro mousse, it is flexible enough on a 525. If you run the real desert mousse in a desert tire on a 525, it doesnt matter how much heavier w/ gasoline the bike is, it will bounce lft and right and feel very weird when riding.

so, I would go Baja tire with either mousse or if you look for longevity of the tire alone, Desert tire w/ fresh enduro mousse and try not to go too fast (over 100km/h.) for a long time on the road with the enduro mousse.
+ 1 (100% )

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #15
Tifosi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Can't run mousse but rather have to run tubes per regulations, on a side note where can you buy the bib mousse? How well does the Desert hold up on the Highway for DS use?