Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2005, 02:17 PM   #16
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
The VT winters get pretty long, so I'll just call it entertainment.
So I'm thinkin' a dyno in the garage. It'll warm the garage and keep you off the icy roads simultaneously....
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:20 PM   #17
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
i'm at work right now and a little slammed so i can't reply in too much detail... i'll try once home.

yes i've used potting coumpound. none purple and maybe that's the problem. i fin the stuff is absolutely horrible to get off. all gooey like. even silicone is easier to remove... and that says something. one option is non conformal sealer also.

i have done a number of fuel injection conversions over the year using motec, haltec, holley tbi, and one electromotive. i am in no way trying to disuade you. if you have a strong electrical and injection background (which from the sound of it you do)... i say go for it!

know the limits of the system. speed density systems like megasquirt do require a fair amount of pre-tuning to get going, and also require a certain amount of maintenance to keep alive.

when running well the injection will knock the pants off any carb. hands down.

post loads of pics and info as you go.
Thanks Loaded! For the purists it must be hard to understand, but I havent had one vehicle that I havent screwed with ,so why should the bike be different? Here is a good example of one of my past BS projects.
I put an Audi 2.8 V6 into a 1990 Vanagon. Why? Why not! It sounded like a formula one car when the change over valve kicked in. I had a UPS driver ask me "what the hell is in that thing?" after I left a big patch at a traffic light.

http://www.clownshoeracing.com/Vanagon1.jpg
Old 08-31-2005, 03:45 PM   #18
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
As we've discussed crank, as a fun project to learn a lot, GO FOR IT! As the cheapest and easiest way to get a crisp running 640, you're crazy. But it's your time and money so still GO FOR IT!

This may not be very applicable, but I recall a long series of articles in the national BMW car club magazine by one of the guys who wrote a shade tree mechanic column. He had all sorts of carb problems on an old BMW (I think a 5-series), so he decided to inject it using the FI system from a later model. It was supposed to be basically a bolt-on sort of deal, but it took him literally hundreds of hours to get it working and when it was done, it had all sorts of weird idiosyncracies and failed a few times. But it sounded like he had fun and it made a good read in several columns.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #19
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

At the moment, I'll need a wiring diagram for the 2000 ADV, so I can find a trigger wire from the CDI box. I'm pretty sure that it is possible to do an inductive PU, but I would rather get a nice clean signal from the CDI box.
Anyone have any experiance with the CDI boxes? usually the tach signal is good enough to pulse the EFI ecu. Anyone have a diagram or a link to one?

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 09-02-2005, 11:41 AM   #20
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
One flag that I am not sure was mentioned: the 02 sensor in the header may restrict flow enough to diminish performance so you might want to invest in fatter headers (they are available but $$$).

My only comment on FI is for an "adventure" bike or one with a tank large enough to get you way out of civilization - what happens if something goes wrong with it? Is FI easy to "jury-rig" in case of emergency? I know carbs can be fiddled with in a pinch.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #21
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Glad to see I'm not the only nut!

I'm going to add EFI to my XR400- I don't really expect to improve it, but it'll be fun. I have an R6 throttle body set in the mail (butterfly, injector, regulator, TPS, temp sensor) Much cheaper than a BMW part, and a better size (for a 400)

I was planning on building a controller myself as I wouldn't need an ignition controller as well, but I don't look forward to writing the software.

Let's compare notes as we go.

Luke
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #22
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
I was planning on building a controller myself as I wouldn't need an ignition controller as well, but I don't look forward to writing the software.
have a look at the megasquirt. it is a build yourself unit with software written by a couple guys, but maintained and updated by a huge web community. there's a pic on the first page of this thread of one i built and installed in a ford mustang. its a really good basic injection controller.

http://www.megasquirt.info

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #23
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
have a look at the megasquirt. it is a build yourself unit with software written by a couple guys, but maintained and updated by a huge web community. there's a pic on the first page of this thread of one i built and installed in a ford mustang. its a really good basic injection controller.
That looks great. Trying to fit a commercial/proprietary controller would be a waste of time, but this looks like just the ticket.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:48 AM   #24
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
One flag that I am not sure was mentioned: the 02 sensor in the header may restrict flow enough to diminish performance so you might want to invest in fatter headers (they are available but $$$).

My only comment on FI is for an "adventure" bike or one with a tank large enough to get you way out of civilization - what happens if something goes wrong with it? Is FI easy to "jury-rig" in case of emergency? I know carbs can be fiddled with in a pinch.
The O2 sensor wont be a problem at all. I'll weld the bung in the pre muffler, rather than buy fat pipes. As far as the "what happens when something goes wrong" question. I don't think the bike will be any less reliable than a BST bike.
The Mega squirt is pretty darn stable, and I've heard many people claim
50,000 -60,000 miles with no problems. All I need to do is seal the ECU and keep it protected from water, which I'm working on now. I can keep spare sensors in the tank bag. Coolant temp from a GM product(any NAPA),O2 sensor(single wire bosch), intake temp sensor(GM), and a bosch TPS. Its a really simple system, and I don't have any reason to think it will be a problem. I wonder if all those big GS bikes with fuel injection have lots of running problems? I usually hear them bitch about the heads making noise, or the rear drive being a problem. I could be wrong?

Cranker
Old 09-05-2005, 07:51 AM   #25
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
That looks great. Trying to fit a commercial/proprietary controller would be a waste of time, but this looks like just the ticket.
I've used this product in the past.......

www.034efi.com

My old Audi 80 is in the featured users section. Javad, the owner has been developing the system for about 10 yrs with awesome results.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:15 AM   #26
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
The O2 sensor wont be a problem at all. I'll weld the bung in the pre muffler, rather than buy fat pipes. As far as the "what happens when something goes wrong" question. I don't think the bike will be any less reliable than a BST bike.

The Mega squirt is pretty darn stable, and I've heard many people claim
50,000 -60,000 miles with no problems. All I need to do is seal the ECU and keep it protected from water, which I'm working on now. I can keep spare sensors in the tank bag. Coolant temp from a GM product(any NAPA),O2 sensor(single wire bosch), intake temp sensor(GM), and a bosch TPS. Its a really simple system, and I don't have any reason to think it will be a problem. I wonder if all those big GS bikes with fuel injection have lots of running problems? I usually hear them bitch about the heads making noise, or the rear drive being a problem. I could be wrong?

Cranker
Make sure you check with an O2 sensor guru; I think those things are more reliable the closer you are to the cylinder - or maybe that's the EGT sensor...

OK on the reliability, or remote fixability. But I would be content if someone with direct experience could share. Luckly for us, we have you to be guinea pig.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:18 AM   #27
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Make sure you check with an O2 sensor guru; I think those things are more reliable the closer you are to the cylinder
heated o2 sensor could work as far back as the pre muffler... i wouldn't do that though... pop it in up front near the collector.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:25 PM   #28
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
heated o2 sensor could work as far back as the pre muffler... i wouldn't do that though... pop it in up front near the collector.
Yea, A heated sensor would be nice, but I'm concerned with having enough electrical power. The fuel pump is going to draw a fair amount of juice.
I could always just run it in open loop with no O2 correction.
I'm getting the Boxer throttle body this week which is the key to the project.
After looking at all the big Fuelie boxers at the Watkins Glen rally, I realized how close in dimensions the t-body is to the BST. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up using the same rubber boots.

Aaron
Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #29
meat popsicle
Ignostic

it's been awhile but...

UPDATE CRANKY?

Old 07-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #30
JSL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I'm also interested in hearing how the project has progressed.
JSL is offline   Reply With Quote