Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #31
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
You do get very different opinions on the same bike. MCM gave the Street Triple just ok marks and Bike Mag rated it five star and the most fun bike on the market.
I have found I tend to agree with MCM the most.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:57 AM   #32
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,390
And the magazine reviews tend to highlight the good points, downplay the bad.

My requirements are a bike that's capable of doing what I want to do - without pissing me off too much. Since I use the bike every day, downtime is bad. If you only rode a few hours some weekends, the balance shifts ...

Take a look at the 'problems with' threads on Advrider for the downsides - brutal, but at least gives you some idea of the 'grief' end that you won't get from the mags.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #33
BioChemMotoMachine
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWaffles View Post
http://rideapart.com/

Since you're reading opinions, there is always going to be some sort of bias but I understand what you're asking. I find the moto mags bland and making too much of an effort for everyone to win. Watch the Touratech comparison video of the KTM 990 vs. the new 1190 for a good example, or any speech by our President will do. RideApart does a pretty good job of giving down to earth viewpoints. It almost reads like a moto blog and there is a section for commentary below, almost always adding to my knowledge like this forum does.
I'd have to disagree with RideApart being a good place for reviews. Some of the writers are absolute tools (Wes Squidly), and so contradictory it's ridiculous. If anything, you can tell they have their minds made-up before they even ride the bikes. I'd actually say it's the worst MC review site there is - bar none.
BioChemMotoMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #34
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torques View Post
First Post!
Hi,
I'm asking for a lot, looking for some unbiased/honest motorcycle reviews. Bike reviews are far less sanitized than car reviews (from paid automotive journalists) but i'm looking for the whole truth. Reading websites and magazines which run on advertising dollars and can't be honest/negative about a bike aren't a good use of anybody's time. There are some great owners reviews which are always worth a read. Does anybody know of a website or YouTube channel with some focus on honest reviews of motorcycles? Does such a thing exist? Sport, adventure, touring, cruiser, standard, dirt, I love them all!
Thanks,
I hope this is the most appropriate sub-forum.

It used to be Ash on Bikes, but sadly Kevin Ash died last year......
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #35
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
All reviews are opinions, so one has to take them with a grain of salt. If I consistently read of the same problem area on a bike and it is minor like a seat or windscreen then I don't worry too much as those types of things are very much related to body size & type and are easily changed. Most if not all bikes that are going to be ridden long distance will require things like a better seat.

I do pay attention to multiple reviews of more major problem areas, like gas tank cracking, fuel issues, water pumps, stator issues etc. A lot of these don't show up on a new bike but do show up on a used bike. Yes these are also somebodies views but there is something there to back up what they are saying.

Popular bike models with limited problem areas always attract me as it is my wallet that is in play. No bike is perfect but some certainly do require more work to keep on the road.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #36
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 170
Get this guy to do more motorcycle reviews:

Painfully honest.
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #37
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
Yup - Bike.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #38
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysmothers View Post
Get this guy to do more motorcycle reviews:

Painfully honest.
Why dee fak? Lol
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #39
Benduro
I<3CrayCrayVaJayJay

Oddometer: 1,331
I like visor down. Their long-term tests of the 950SM are one of the main sources of info I had going into the used market. And I've got to say, everything they wrote was spot on.
For instance... http://www.visordown.com/road-tests/...0sm/15673.html
Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #40
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,081
BUT.........

I read every review I could find on the Concours C-14.

They LOVED this bike.

So I bought one from a dealer that doesn't allow test rides.

I had it for one summer and sold it. Never felt comfortable even after considerable $$$ spent on seat, pegs, windshields. It may have felt good to multiple testers, but not to me- and I did some long rides, hoping that it just took some time to "grow" on me.

So who above posted that a test ride is the BEST review? It is.......

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #41
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
BUT.........

I read every review I could find on the Concours C-14.

They LOVED this bike.

So I bought one from a dealer that doesn't allow test rides.

I had it for one summer and sold it. Never felt comfortable even after considerable $$$ spent on seat, pegs, windshields. It may have felt good to multiple testers, but not to me- and I did some long rides, hoping that it just took some time to "grow" on me.

So who above posted that a test ride is the BEST review? It is.......
Of course it is.

Any review is subjective. The bike that kills you may be perfectly acceptable to me.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #42
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
a test ride would be great, and here in the US, if your buying a Harley, BMW, Ducati or Triumph, or your best friends with the owner of the dealership, you may get one

Motorcycle dealers, especially the Big 4, here in the US, do not allow test rides
This a huge issue, and the real thing holding it back is liability insurance. Years ago I was eyeing a Kawasaki and I really liked it and the reviews were generally positive, but when I asked about a test ride the guy laughed in my face. So I am supposed to pay big money on a bike that I have never ridden? I am taking some jaded magazine riders word for it? No way. I went down to the BMW dealership found a nice used bike, took it for a ride, liked it, but I knew there were some things I needed to change. Talked to the dealer, he worked with me on parts swaps and all was good. Still own it.

What I do not get is why Euro dealerships can do it and Big 4 can not. Overhead for a dealership is the same. We all know that most dealerships do not make their money in sales, but in service, parts and accessories. Seems like it hurts them more than it helps.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote