Beautiful photos and amazing places..
Thank you
KTM 950S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #124
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Tiblisi

On may way to Tiblisi I stopped at another couple of monasteries. Some have referred to my trip as the AFC tour (another f....antastic church).

I don't even remember the names or whether they were still in Armenia or after I crossed to border to Georgia

The expats I had met my first night in Georgia had invited me to stay with them. They had a great place with a pool. Heaven and very much appreciated.

One morning my bike looked kind of funny and it took me a while to realize that the gardener had actually cleaned it. First time on this trip.

Tiblisi is a great city with lots to see and do.

Loved that the kids played in the fountain

Old 03-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #125
00-SEB-00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I will admit that the area even looks better than I thought it might be! So good to know...
Old 03-28-2014, 04:16 AM   #126
Piopio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I'm in !!
Your pics are great, what kind of stuff do you use ?
Piopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #127
Blacksheep31
n00b

Oddometer: 2
This is an amazing look into an area of the world that I know little about. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Your photos are awesome!
Blacksheep31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #128
cristiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder06 View Post
On may way to Tiblisi I stopped at another couple of monasteries. Some have referred to my trip as the AFC tour (another f....antastic church).

I don't even remember the names or whether they were still in Armenia or after I crossed to border to Georgia [...]
Sanahin and Haghpat monasteries, Armenia.

Quote:
[...]

I took almost the same picture in 2010:-)

Keep posting, Steffen!
cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #129
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
I'd like to try the Fuck System. Is it one of those self improvement courses or a muscle building thing?

You can take as many pics of those churches as you like. It's great to have them documented. Some don't look like they will be standing for much longer.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #130
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laouen View Post
damn... my list of 'places to visit' keeps getting longer

Nagorno Karabakh and Yerevan have just been added Thanks
Yeah, I have the same problem every time I go on ADVRider. Glad I could inspire someone :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM 950S View Post
Beautiful photos and amazing places..
Thank you
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #131
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-SEB-00 View Post
I will admit that the area even looks better than I thought it might be! So good to know...
My little point and shot was broken at this point and I actually didn't take nearly as many photos as I usually do. I do remember the landscape being pretty spectacular that day. The mountains around Dilijan are very nice. They have been the summer home of many famous Russian, Soviet, and Armenian artists, composers, and filmmakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piopio View Post
I'm in !!
Your pics are great, what kind of stuff do you use ?
I use a variety of cameras. On this trip I mainly used a Canon 7D and S100. I also used my phone at times and some other Canon point and shoot while my S100 was broken.

Truth be told, the choice of camera is over rated. It is very hard to find complete duds these days. Rather than sinking money into gear and going after the latest greatest, spend your time and practice. Don't be lazy, get off your bike, wait for the good light, don't be afraid to crop. Select the good shots. Nobody wants to see dozens of slightly different shots of the same thing. It is more important to have a good eye for light and composition than to have the most expensive gear. People have taken great photos ling before we had megapixel cameras. Personally, I like very wide angles, which limits my choice of camera/lens combinations. Make sure you know your gear and all the computer stuff that comes with it.

I also make an effort to not just see a place through the view finder. Live the moment, enjoy it, then take a few photos. So many times I see people arriving at a place and just run around, taking lots of pictures indiscriminately, and then just leave. What is the point of that? If I am at a place that I wanted to see for years, something like Persepolis or Petra, I usually make my very first visit without a camera, just to enjoy the place and do a bit of scouting.

Some people are just happy with a phone snapshot as a memento. They are very content with just seeing and experiencing the place. That is very much OK. Everyone is different. Don't feel compelled to do it because everyone else does. I made the decision to not do Videos. It is a lot of work and on a solo trip not achievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep31 View Post
This is an amazing look into an area of the world that I know little about. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Your photos are awesome!
That's what these ride reports are all about. Yes, it is a lot of work but I have learned many things here on ADVRider and this is my way of giving back. I can only hope that it will inspire others to go and explore. The world is a much better place than most people believe. Go out and meet other people and see things.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. Aldous Huxley

Old 03-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #132
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristiano View Post

Sanahin and Haghpat monasteries, Armenia.

I took almost the same picture in 2010:-)

Keep posting, Steffen!
Thanks for filling in the blanks Cristiano. I could have looked it up from my track logs but was too tired last night. These two were actually exceptionally picturesque in a nice setting. The holes in the floor in the Haghpat library is were they kept the scrolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
I'd like to try the Fuck System. Is it one of those self improvement courses or a muscle building thing?
I think they are teaching that class in Turkey at the moment ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
You can take as many pics of those churches as you like. It's great to have them documented. Some don't look like they will be standing for much longer.
I don't need any encouragement for that. Some churches I took pictures of in 2009 are no longer standing, thanks to the earthquakes near Van. Well, same actually goes for my home town Christchurch; sadly.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #133
Piopio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I use a 65D with a 70-300, I always take the original 18-55 which has a wide angle and really traduces the beauty of the area. Aftre that, the computer does "his thing". I think that with the argentic pics, we had to choose the "good shot", while the numeric camera gives us a lot of tries.
Nice report, thanks for sharing !
Piopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #134
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Svanetia

Leaving Tbilisi, I actually managed an early morning start for a change

It is a short hop from Tbilisi to Gori, where Joseph Stalin was born as Ioseb Besarionis Dze Jugashvili in 1878. The town center is dominated by the museum complex. It's a strange place, an unashamed shrine to Stalin's reign.

When I posted this picture on Facebook my fried Brien, who is a writer and obviously much better with words than I am, commented "cold, river of blood, seems about right".

One room has a shrine with a bronze copy of Stalin's death mask.

Destination for the day was Kutaisi

I managed to squeeze in a visit to Bagrati Church before sunset.

Kutaisi also has a microbrewery pub. This is my happy face when I found out:

To my own amazement I managed another early start the next day. No visit to Georgia is complete without going to Svanetia. It was only about 170 km to Ushguli, but 2/3 of it is on a bad dirt road.

The track goes through a number of villages. Generally people would just kind of weirdly stare at me but as soon I nodded to them, gave them a smile and a wave, they were all smiles and waved enthusiastically.

As I got further into the mountains and higher up it started raining heavily. With cameras packed away safely, there are - as is so often the case - no pictures of it. It was challenging but great fun.

When I arrived in Ushguli I knew immediately that I had to stay for a few days at least. The place is just so indescribably beautiful!

Old 04-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #135
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
When I arrived in Ushguli I knew immediately that I had to stay for a few days at least. The place is just so indescribably beautiful!

One of my favorite places in the world. There is a small ski resort there that only has 1 lift. It is amazing in the winter time also. I will have to go back some time in the summer. I hope you tried some of the local Khajapuri in Svaneti. Keep up this amazing report. Your pictures are all great.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote