Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Creekside OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
were to mount a rocker switch for heated grips...

I have a 2012 990 adv (not R) with the hazards/accessory plug on the left side of the dash. I just got the symtek heated grips and installed the pads and got the grips back on. (The chopstick method was really easy to get them off with a touch of soap spray) I stole this image:

But now I realize I can't just drill some hole in the dash because there is no where flat to mount that rocker (except I have open area on the right but that is like not so safe for commuting - when I really need it). Now I am thinking of using the little black sheet metal mount with the hole on the mirror bracket and let it just hang off some. Sealed from the back with big heat shrink over megadose of expoxy. Fuggly tho. Or just bolt that mount under the dash and hang that rocker really low below dash. Aargh. Messy.

Anyone got any ideas?

PS as fast as it was to get the grips off and on again, I realized the wires at 12oclock suck on the throttle side per video instruction now. Its up and over the top of kill switch like a car antenna. Should I remove the whole right side and pry off the pad & reglue it down? Or just leave it at high noon because even up front it sucks and will snag a branch?

Merry Christmas!!! Happy new years.
Creekside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
superhak31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Inside the glove box?
superhak31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 581
Eek

How about in that blue fairing section on the left? And if the rocker doesn't fit, look for a different automotive SPDT switch that will fit.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Creekside OP
Adventurer

I pretty much always cover the glove box with a tank bag.

I thought about the blue area but its some kind of "air box" or something with a hose going in and a hose going out of it?

thanks
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 964
Switch on the bars

Give some thought to mounting the switch on a bracket near your left handgrip. It's a small point but it is always safer to put controls where they are least distracting to use. I love the multiple settings of the ktm grips (which mount on the left bar area) I found out yesterday that highway and around town are two different settings on a cold day...yes they can get too hot!
By the way...that upper fairing is not a sealed compartment...they just use bulkhead fittings to pass hoses through.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 259

That black box with on - off text. It's a LED dimmer working as stepless(?) adjuster for the grip heaters.

ps. Is stepless correct English term to use?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Here u go

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/a...ni_switch.html
Old 12-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,731
I have the troller installed at the same position on my 990Adv 2006 as On the photo.

On the right side of the dash, exactly as in the picture. I find it very practical. Can't see the problem really.
Cheers

gefr screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 07:18 PM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside View Post
I have a 2012 990 adv (not R) with the hazards/accessory plug on the left side of the dash. I just got the symtek heated grips and installed the pads and got the grips back on. (The chopstick method was really easy to get them off with a touch of soap spray) I stole this image:

But now I realize I can't just drill some hole in the dash because there is no where flat to mount that rocker (except I have open area on the right but that is like not so safe for commuting - when I really need it). Now I am thinking of using the little black sheet metal mount with the hole on the mirror bracket and let it just hang off some. Sealed from the back with big heat shrink over megadose of expoxy. Fuggly tho. Or just bolt that mount under the dash and hang that rocker really low below dash. Aargh. Messy.

Anyone got any ideas?

PS as fast as it was to get the grips off and on again, I realized the wires at 12oclock suck on the throttle side per video instruction now. Its up and over the top of kill switch like a car antenna. Should I remove the whole right side and pry off the pad & reglue it down? Or just leave it at high noon because even up front it sucks and will snag a branch?

Merry Christmas!!! Happy new years.
I mounted mine on the right mirror housing bolt. I had to do a little carving and grinding for switch mount to fit, but in the end, it turned out decent. I twisted and bent the mount so the switch sits flush with and just under the bar.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #10
hattah79

Oddometer: 896
I fitted 2 small toggle switches on the right hand switch block
Put them in the "blanking plate" below the engine off switch and above the starter
The inner is a 3 position for the heated grips the outer in on off for the aux lights

hattah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
wheeler23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
top triple clamp

I used the tear drop shaped bracket that came with the kit and mounted it to the top triple clamp. Their are (2) 8mm threaded holes with little black plugs in them. Worked great!

KTM 990 Baja Edition, KTM 250SXF, KTM 150XC
wheeler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Mounted mine on the right as well
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Creekside OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the great ideas. Its looking to be either the mirror (lower bolt with a bend or something) or to the left of the key switch. If I do the mirror lower bolt I will have to pot those wires/connectors into some sort of waterproof black sealer and probably seal that mess with large heat shrink or something. Don't want the backend of the switch and connectors just hanging out.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
I just soldered the wires and wrapped them with rubber tape, then used the big piece of heat shrink that came with the kit to cover the whole mess.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,679
I was unable to locate a WATERPROOF dpdt rocker switch, so I used a real, honest-to-god waterproof sealed toggle switch immediately to the left of the gauges.

Easy to actuate with gloves, easy to see it's position.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote