Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
redster OP
GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oddometer: 103
Getting my bike ready for serious offroading....

I'm getting my bike prepped for some serious offroading.I just picked up the Tourtech skid plate,Carbon performance tank guards arriving.Planning not to mount hard bags to remain light.What else do I need to prep?

1. What tire should I go with that will do well offroad but not to scary on the freeway?

2.Besides what's on the OEM tool case,what should I add?

3.Should I bring a C clamp to break the bead for flat change?

4.Should I bring good bicycle pump or them mini electric ones good enough?

Besides the baby offroading I'm going to do here and there to get prepped for the major adventure offroading,I'm planning to go to Pismo beach. I need a tire I can ride down there from northern California and be ok in the dunes.

Redster

redster screwed with this post 08-31-2005 at 09:53 PM
redster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,451
All this stuff is personal preferance, so here is my preferences.

1. The 140 Dessert or 150 Karoo (depends on how much you want to spend) I have seen the 150Karoo do 3000 miles, freeway, twisties, dirt. It matched the TKC on wear. Better feel off road, a little worse feel on road.

2. If you have complete tool kit; then you have what you need.

3. Buy this guys tool dale@cooperoil.com Any tire is tough to change on this rim. The stiff side walls on the Dessert and Karoo make it very very very tough.

4. I carry a light bicycle pump with me. It seems there are a few options that work well.

Sound like your going to have some gooood times, keep us posted.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 PM   #3
redster OP
GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figure I need to make this bike more survivable when getting off offroad.So I don't have to call someone to go get me or bring stuff to me to get my bike fixed.Certainly don't wanna be stuck due to mechanical.I've bee riding my road bicycle to get more in shape for doing offroad also for preparation.I might hook up with some motocross friends who go to Pismo from time to time so I can get some pointers and help if I get in trouble.Eventually the plan is to go to Baja and back.And maybe with time and money and crew,I wanna consider doing Baja 500.

Redster
Old 08-31-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Yer headed in the right direction.

Do as much of your own servicing as you can - bike knowledge helps if something goes wrong.

--- For the human side of things - do a first aid course. And carry water. That and the bicycling should be good.

Have a great trip.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
redster OP
GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure am going to bring a first aid kit with me as I do when I go mountain biking.It helped me a lot with friends and myself when someone crashes.I have to mix my road riding with mountain biking cause I get the upper body work out on mountain biking.Plus it's as close to getting used to offroad conditions other than riding the motorcycle.

Redster
Old 09-01-2005, 02:08 AM   #6
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
3. Buy this guys tool dale@cooperoil.com Any tire is tough to change on this rim. The stiff side walls on the Dessert and Karoo make it very very very tough.
Wracking my brain, which one was that? I'm finally getting around to ordering a bead breaker or something similar, though I'm also debating second set of wheels, and or cutting off the safety bead. Thanks, Mack
Old 09-01-2005, 06:40 AM   #7
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Wracking my brain, which one was that? I'm finally getting around to ordering a bead breaker or something similar, though I'm also debating second set of wheels, and or cutting off the safety bead. Thanks, Mack
Hiya Mack,

Thats the one that Joe Barker used on his trip with Yogoi and Richard down to Utah. Two pieces of steel, some steel wire it looked like, etc. Theres a picture on his Meeting the People of Mexico thread.... (good ride report btw)

Cheers
Old 09-01-2005, 06:52 AM   #8
SGB
Learning Always

Oddometer: 259
Off road mods

You are fortunate that you have the right bike already so very little needed to make it a proper off road machine:

I found the following to work well:

- TKC 80's for the combo riding
- KTM crash bars work well, no problems when dropping at slow speed.
- 16 / 45 sprockets, loss of top end not significant, but works very well in dirt - especially pulling away in sand and shorter gearing.
- Large washer welded to bottom of side stand to enlarge contact surface
- GPS V
- ATTITUDE

Enjoy!!
www.countrytrax.co.za
SGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
don't feel bad if the wheels get bent up; because then you can replace them with ones that dont bend and ones you might actually be able to break the bead on in the bush
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Ditto on Dale Cooper's tool, I ordered one (haven't had to use it in anger yet ), and it's very cool! Nice package in the optional bag too-it holds my motion pro tire irons/axle wrenchs as well
Desmofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmofan
Ditto on Dale Cooper's tool, I ordered one (haven't had to use it in anger yet ), and it's very cool! Nice package in the optional bag too-it holds my motion pro tire irons/axle wrenchs as well
Do you have any photo's to show the nice people of ADVrider. The photo I have does not show or explain alot.

I have changed the Mic. Dessert w/ Coopers tool and without it. The stiff side wall makes this tire almost impossable to change w/out Cooper's tool. With Cooper's tool it is not an issue at all.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #12
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
I'll shoot some tonight and post
Desmofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:04 PM   #13
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Awesome, photos would be much appreciated.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:58 PM   #14
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by redster
Besides the baby offroading I'm going to do here and there to get prepped for the major adventure offroading,I'm planning to go to Pismo beach. I need a tire I can ride down there from northern California and be ok in the dunes.

Redster
Are ya new to the whole off road motorcycle thing? If yur not new to the experience, sorry for the following:

The reason I ask; I think the most important thing you can do to prepare your bike for off road is train'n the rider. Take some off road classes in your area and go off road'n as much as possible. If you plan on something like Pizmo be'n yur first real off road experience you may end up sell'n that 950 after yur first day in the sand; sand is not easy and is even more work on a big bike like the 950.

I would say, do a lot of dirt and work yur way up to sand.

Best of luck to ya
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #15
redster OP
GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been dirt riding back when I was a teen till twenty one.Then I moved to NYC,that stopped me from riding for a decade.I'm am going to be doing some dirt offroading like fire roads and easier riding parks like Hangtown(they have trails there besides the MX track) in the Sacramento area.So,no I'm not new to dirt riding.Yes,I'm taking this in little steps to get me back up to my offroading abilities.Pismo is just for fun riding with the guys.I realize that's it's going to be difficult.But I'm the one who likes a challenge and take the steps to improve upon it.

I plan to take a few classes for offroading as a refresher and you can always learn something new.When is the next Harden Rally clinic or Jimmy's clinic?Believe me,I don't wanna get seriously hurt hence I approach this with caution.Granted our sport/activity is rather dangerous,I rather be prepared for the situation.

Cheers,
Redster