ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Ptjeep OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Anybody plated a XRR in TN?

I am just wondering if anybody has plated a XR650R in TN? I know that i would have to buy some sort of kit to make it legal but just wondering how hard it is to get it plated? I've never had to deal with the DMV in this sense, just curious how hard it is or if its possible? Thanks for any help.
Ptjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,425
Buy one already plated....
Don't bother with the 100 threads on it... Just get an easy solution or another bike.

I have a plated XR600R if you love to kick
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 614
Ive bought 3 bikes from TN that were tagged XRs, but I tried last year all we found was that the law had recently changed

I don't know where the link is, but used too you could get it inspected by the popo and get a new title, but no more

Good luck.
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Ptjeep OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I've got a 650L but kinda had a hackering for a 650R also. I probably wouldn't have gave it a second thought except fot the fact that i know where one is(non plated) but its in KY. If theres a chance that i couldn't get it plated, i will just move on to the next one. Thanks.
Ptjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
If the bike has a title from another state, that is half the battle. You want to at least have brake light(s), 1 rear view mirror and a horn. You can get a way with out blinkers (hand signals), but you can possibly attract more LEO attention that way. It just depends where you are riding. Trail head to trail head out in the boonies is one thing, but cruising through down town Nashville might be another issue.
Just remember, DO NOT show up at DMV with an MSO that says "Off Road Use Only". They will flag your VIN in the system and that will be the end of the attempt to get that bike plated.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:24 AM   #6
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoat657 View Post
just remember, do not show up at dmv with an mso that says "off road use only". They will flag your vin in the system and that will be the end of the attempt to get that bike plated.
this !
Old 01-01-2014, 03:25 AM   #7
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,298
I've often wonders how much the ticket would be if it was not plated?

Might be cheaper than the 2, 3, $400 to plate it??
Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 155
Depends on which county you're in, which clerk's office you go to, and who you talk to when you're there. Some will give you shit, some don't care and only want your money.
peejman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #9
soupamoto
Singletrack Jedi

Oddometer: 100
The laws in TN are different than other states (such as GA), so take advice from people from other states with a grain of salt. It's much harder to tag a vehicle in the states that surround TN.

I have tagged an XRR in TN, it is very easy so long as the title does not say off road only as mentioned above.

No need to worry about any of the street legal hardware to get the tag; TN does not require inspection for the title or street registration (Tag). You WILL of course need the min street legal hardware to ride on the street, but tackle the title and registration first before you spend money on lights and such.

True it may depend on what county clerk you go to and what person you get, but likely it will go easy. I've done several in the past 5+ years and it's seems to have gotten easier; I think the State is truly wanting the revenue.

Bikes I've tagged in TN include KX250, KDX200, CRF150F, many KTM off road bikes, XRR, and others. Go for it, you'll LOVE the XRR over the old XR!