Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
640Pilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Aux power question

Guys,
Just ran through the wiring diagram and went back over my bike (04 950 Adv.) to understand where to and what way best to run the power for my GPS. On the bike I found still labelled Acc. Power 2 and traced wiring back to the fairly dodgy lighter socket that had been fitted by previous owner...I've never used it to date and it was pretty ordinary. Checked with a test light and it had power but checked to see if it powered anything and it didn't, after only a few moment of running it also started to smell nasty.

This is when I traced back the wires and found access 2 power wire...I've disconnected it and gave it the right hand left shoulder treatment. After checking the manual I see that Acc 1 and 2 should only run a 5amp fuse, mine had 10 amp in both, now removed and all connections / fuse holders cleaned etc.

My questions :

a. Do you guys fit lighter type mount to plug power your GPS units (I've got a 62S Garmin on the way and bought the genuine charger for it..)

b. Common sense tells me but I'll ask anyway...would these acces. power lines be stable at around the 12V mark...I haven't been able to confirm this yet...or do I need a regulator set up to keep it stable....guessing I know the answer but the only stupid question is one not asked

Any other input or ideas appreciated

Thanks in Advance
So much dirt...so little time...
640Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,488
I'm going to connect two plugs on my 04. I'm going to use the motorcycle plugs. I don't know what they're called. The look cooler and aren't as big.

I have just plugged and played in the past. No problem with voltage.

Santa Claus brought me some heated gloves.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
It is a 12V system. The AUX line is a switched 12V line, but it is not meant for heavy use. Hence, 5 amp service stock and relatively thin wire guage. That said, the dealer put my heated grips to it straight off, no buffer.

What I would recommend is that you go down to Radio Shack and buy their 12V relay for just under $5.00 - it is something like 40A rated. Run the battery power up to the relay, and use the AUX line to toggle the relay, the current draw to toggle the relay is nominal. If you are worried about the battery voltage while the bike is running - if it is running at ~14V (charging your battery) then you could regulate that if you've a mind to do so, or add a bit of series resistance if you know the load that will be maintained. It worked out very well on mine, but I am just running lights.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post

What I would recommend is that you go down to Radio Shack and buy their 12V relay for just under $5.00 - it is something like 40A rated. Run the battery power up to the relay, and use the AUX line to toggle the relay, the current draw to toggle the relay is nominal. If you are worried about the battery voltage while the bike is running - if it is running at ~14V (charging your battery) then you could regulate that if you've a mind to do so, or add a bit of series resistance if you know the load that will be maintained. It worked out very well on mine, but I am just running lights.
This is the right way to do it. 12V devices are intended for 12V nominal and are tolerant of +- some voltage, so you don't need to worry about the ~14 volts you see at free load. Cars are the same way; they operate closer to 14 volts when the engine is running.

I have enough electronics planned (GPS mount, USB charger sockets, lights, heated grips) that I added a second fuse block, which is controlled by a 40A relay fired by the ACC2 circuit. I believe ACC1 is unswitched, though I might have the two backwards. Here's the block I used:
http://www.bluesea.com/products/5025..._Bus_and_Cover
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
640Pilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. After some tape removal form the socket I find it was a cheap and nasty cigarette lighter fitting...I've just ducked down to the auto store and picked up a specific power out let that will mount inside the tray of the glove box quite nicely without taking up any real room.

my plan for that fitting is only to power my GPS, the Garmin charger shows a max 2 amp draw so I'm thinking the gauge of wire (agreed it's very light) should be ok. I hadn't planned to put a switch on the aux power as it'll only ever be used when the GPS is on and that only be when the bikes running. I take on board what you say though SMJ...I'm no to much of a electronics tech....do you feel my idea of constant power straight through idea is flawed....I can always dart down to the electronics store to grab those few components you suggested.

I won't be running heated Grips, a pump nor anything other than the Garin 62S or maybe my mobile phone from time to time I guess..

I'll get a multimeter cross that charging system to check it as well thanks for the heads up guys, it makes things much easier when you've got some people to bounce things off...Just picked up your post Gearhead....thank you for the input...

Ride Safe...Orange side up
So much dirt...so little time...

640Pilot screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 07:50 PM
640Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,379
I put a full size ciggy lighter socket in my glovebox, takes power from the incoming side of the fusebox so its fused at 32a down at the solenoid. Had an individual 20a fuse and powers my pump with ease.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
I'm going to connect two plugs on my 04. I'm going to use the motorcycle plugs. I don't know what they're called. The look cooler and aren't as big.

I have just plugged and played in the past. No problem with voltage.

Santa Claus brought me some heated gloves.
Yo, DT: You would be referring to the BMW-style accessory plug (as compared to the standard US cigarette-style port).

Made by and commonly referred to as Powelet plugs.

I have one of each on my bike...just in case.

Dan

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,646
OP - I have the same bike that's fairly new to me. A couple of weeks ago I connected my GPS direct to the Acc 1 (unswitched) power wire as I want it to stay on when the bike's not running (fuel stops, etc.). I also hooked up aftermarket heated grips to the ACC 2 (switched) power wire, and everything works just fine. Both the GPS and the heated grips work with the 5 amp stock fuse (actually the GPS has its own 2 amp in-line fuse also).
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 327
Garmin 62S may have trouble with external power

My 62S started occasionally acting like a brick when I powered it through the mini-usb port on the back. Not often, but often enough that I gave up on bike power and now only use those lithium "ultimate" batteries. No more brick imitations.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Mini-usb ports are somewhat notorious in that kind of application for issues with staying connected and with getting dirt in them. Bike power also oscillates quite a bit more than automotive or computer power, so it could be a compatibility with the 5V VR.

Here is one of my power solutions, along with my fuel octane switch. The BlueSea USB ports have an integral VR and are waterproof, as I believe they are intended for boats:

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:55 AM   #11
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
Mini-usb ports are somewhat notorious in that kind of application for issues with staying connected and with getting dirt in them. Bike power also oscillates quite a bit more than automotive or computer power, so it could be a compatibility with the 5V VR.

Here is one of my power solutions, along with my fuel octane switch. The BlueSea USB ports have an integral VR and are waterproof, as I believe they are intended for boats:

The fuel octane switch is smart.

I've been working so I didn't get it done. Going to freeze my ass off.

DELTATANGO screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 07:56 AM
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote