ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
peterman OP
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,785
Hey Miguel,,,

Just wondering in a semi buzzed state while my elk stroganoff heats up.
(Some of you may not know,, Miguel Sanchez is a hunter,,kills shit for whatever reason.)
My question,, is there a tasty critter's meat that is better than elk or our antelope for flavor? how does water buffalo compare to beef?,, and are Thompson's gazelles all the cheetahs crack them up to be? seem kinda skinny to me!
Or should I have axed this qwestium at the next John's Peak roundup?
Why do all the slashing teeth biting meat eating fuckers eat wildebeast?? is it that good!?? did you ever have a wildebeast backstrap?

I got some precooked bacon snacks in the fridge,i'll be right back,,,
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,561
I'll take buffalo over Elk, and Elk over deer. I've had a couple of pounds of Moose once and that was my favorite burger. Hell even deer is good, you just gotta know how to cook your cuts.

I keep watching these survival shows and think it's about time I go eat a squirrel. As I recall from Grade School they're fun to shoot, might as well eat one. I did tag one a couple of years ago with a blunt tipped arrow on my bow, that was taunting and going after my dog. You ever eat Squirrel Peterman?

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
peterman OP
cop magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
I'll take buffalo over Elk, and Elk over deer. I've had a couple of pounds of Moose once and that was my favorite burger. Hell even deer is good, you just gotta know how to cook your cuts.

I keep watching these survival shows and think it's about time I go eat a squirrel. As I recall from Grade School they're fun to shoot, might as well eat one. I did tag one a couple of years ago with a blunt tipped arrow on my bow, that was taunting and going after my dog. You ever eat Squirrel Peterman?
Sally was a skwerl hunting bitch!,,bark bark,,there isa tree rat up there,, shoot it,, when it falls,, I might share it with you,,shoot another one,,stupid human///
miss the point much?
Meat!,,killed critters,,what tastes the best? simple kwestiun,, you ever shoot and eat an Eland?

scrotal fold syndrome,,you just very well cannot escape it.

goat scrotums are available,,steamed,, or deep fried.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 457
Squirrel is really good eating. I'm talking Eastern Gray Squirrel and Fox Squirrel, not anything that lives in a burrow. It's also the most challenging hunting, if you use a good bolt action or single shot .22 LR. Or, for more challenge, Google 'AirWolf PCP.'

I like elk much more than deer... venison is too gamy for my tastes. Buffalo (bison) is good, too. I've never had pronghorn or moose.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,499
Tried buffalo, IMHO definitely not as good as elk

Antelope is better than elk

But Cougar is by far the tastiest meat I've tried

and I'm not talking this kind of cougar

Old 12-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,918
Elk

Elk is very good, and yearling elk is amazingly good. No knife needed.

Elk roast is better than beef roast

Moose is very like beef to me, more care needs to be taken due to the low fat content of course.

Teriyaki elk , using 3/8 think x 1 inch wide strips, marinated in Yoshidas over night, then put on skewers and barbequed, is one of my top 2 things to eat with wild strawberries there for a tie.
Correctly done elk jerky is very good, I have seen advriders fight over who got to pack the days ration.

Sweet and sour chukar , orange based sauce, very good.

Pheasant breast simmered in a sour cream and apple gravy

A very hard one to get is fresh ( that days kill, never refrigerated) elk tenderloin sliced into 3/8" medallions with green and red bell peppers , onions, all simmered together and then served over rice.
Part of this meal is that you have always had to work your ass off taking care of the elk and all the work is don when oyu get the meal.

Crawdad tastes like red rock crab to me

Whitetail deer is generally better than mule deer, but feed makes a huge difference. The rose eating deer that are harvested in Clakrston , Wa are supposed to be good.

All I have this year is a small whitetail, good, but not elk.

For years a buddy and I would pick up rattlesnakes at night on back roads. I never ate any. Maybe something about having that long skinny piece of meat still crawl around, sometimes slithering off the counter .
Old 12-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Mmm... crawdad.
Brings back memories of fishing in North Fork Mill Creek with the neighbor boys. Crawford was their last name.

We'd build a campfire by the creek, put the little 8"ers on a stick and roast 'em slow. Stole a small pan from the house and boiled the little red clawed delights we'd found under rocks. A little salmon egg draws 'em out,.... and nab!! Takes quite a few of the little buggers to make a meal, but back when we were 12-13 years old, we had nothing better to do.

That's why I love camping today. With a million things in this world that I probly should be doing,...when I'm sitting by the campfire, food in my belly and drink in hand, 10 miles or 400 miles from home in some forest somewhere...I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Neighbor gave me some elk sausage last night.
Guess what's for breakfast?
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,509
Elk and whitetail deer tie for me, I'll shoot and eat either whenever I can. Pheasant breast, grouse, all good. Dove and quail breast wrapped in bacon, rabbit backstraps.... dammit I'm hungry now.
But agree with whoever said above, fresh elk tenderloin. For several years, a bunch of us camped together during elk season. Whenever we got one down, all of us would pitch in to get it back to camp and hung. As soon as it was settled, the tenderloins went on the barbecue. The best!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Mmm... crawdad.
Brings back memories of fishing in North Fork Mill Creek with the neighbor boys. Crawford was their last name.

We'd build a campfire by the creek, put the little 8"ers on a stick and roast 'em slow. Stole a small pan from the house and boiled the little red clawed delights we'd found under rocks. A little salmon egg draws 'em out,.... and nab!! Takes quite a few of the little buggers to make a meal, but back when we were 12-13 years old, we had nothing better to do.

That's why I love camping today. With a million things in this world that I probly should be doing,...when I'm sitting by the campfire, food in my belly and drink in hand, 10 miles or 400 miles from home in some forest somewhere...I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing
For several years I have been planning on having crawdad as the evening meal while on an overnight ride. Haven't managed to even get the overnight ride done yet. Mask, snorkel , and knee pads works really well in creeks. Just crawl up the creek and pick them off the bottm. It worked well in several small creeks around Pierce, then I tried on the North Fork of the Clearwater at Aquarius and met face to face with a bunch of bass, no crawdads in sight. Bass are fun though, get a few grasshoppers and the bass come right up and eat out of your hand.

I don't have any crawdad recipes, just figured crawdads with some rice.

Deep fried morels are pretty good, tried it once when we had kids here who said they didn't like mushrooms so I sauteed them then coated them and deep fried them. The kids figured out they liked some mushrooms.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 261
Speaking as PETA member here, "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals"
I enjoy cooking up and eating all kinds of critters. Trying new dishes is fun too a few that high on my priority list are emu and kangaroo. Have you guys tried those yet?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,343
One reason I don't have a motorcycle right now is that I want to catch up on some Huntin' and Fishin'. I did all right this year with Chantrelles and Grouse, in fact am about to head out for some more Grouse Huntin'. Early part of next year I'm planning to hunt Feral Pigs and maybe turkeys....Today I think I'll head down to Chuck's in Charleston and get a half pound of Dungeness Crab smothered in Cocktail sauce, some Face Rock smoked Cheddar and sour dough bread and go Whale watching.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,509
Dammit.... now I'm really hungry. There are feral hogs in Oregon? Didn't know that, used to hunt them in Hawaii. Mind PMing me some whereabouts? Love me some pork.
I've heard rumors of them on the Olympic Peninsula, too.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
peterman OP
cop magnet

yes,,skwerl is good,,kinda like wild rabbit.
I prefer antelope over elk, elk over deer and moose (moose is almost like horse meat and don't cook either one in beer )
Not impressed with bear meat enough to kill one, bighorn (that I had) was gamey, mountain goat is okay, so is caribou,,who knew they were so small?
Never eaten whale meat, but I'd try it.
My OP was a serious one,,Miguel is a big game hunter and has taken many exotic critters,,I was just wondering how they taste?
Zebra steak anyone?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
Miguel Sanchez
Whatever...

Oddometer: 871
In general, my observation has been that if it's made outta meat, its good to eat! Some is better than others, but all can be cooked one way or the other to make them palatable. Probably one of my favorites is our Pronghorn (it ain't an antelope, and it ain't a goat - its a pronghorn) if it's properly taken care of. When I hunt Pronghorn, I do it with a really big cooler full of ice in the truck. From the time of the kill, you've got 20 to 30 minutes to get it dressed, skinned, quartered, and on ice. I've got three of them critters in the freezers right now - yummy!

Elk is very good as well, but moose is better. If I put a plate of Kudu backstraps in front of you, you couldn't tell it from elk. Identical meat from half a world away.

Another of my favorites is Nilgai. A really big horse-sized antelope cousin from India that makes the best Chili you ever had!

Caribou and goose - yuk... Both taste like liver, moss, or shit - you decide.

Springbuck is pretty tasty, like a yearling blacktail spike. Cut it with a fork!

Never had zebra, but I've killed 'em. The native skinner's will eat them, but very begrudgingly. Best used for Leopard bait.

Beyond that, most things can be eaten. I've had muskrats (not bad), squirrels (yummy!), beaver (stringy unless shaved real good first ;-), snakes (say what you want, they taste like snakes), cougar (kind of like pork, without the good flavor), bear (not fit to eat), and just about everything else.

If you're gonna kill it, don't waste it!

01 GS1150, 02 WR426F, 04 XR650L, 04 315R, 04 CRF230F, 81 R100RT (S), 56 G80CS, 87 MT11, 71 TS185, 74 98SR, 74 99RT, 76 TL250, 70 MX125, 80 DR400, 80 RS175, 80 RS250, 78 XR75, 74 RD350, 70 CT70, 06 Monster 620 Dark, and about a dozen more I can't think of right now...
Miguel Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote