Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 1,942
Ski-Doo's etec twin can easily be converted to a single, or mounted on a single. They're basically singles joined together.

Unfortunately I don't forsee any OEM doing this as it would'nt be a good money making business decision.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Stop View Post
Is anyone producing a single that is DI? I'm wondering if multi cylinder engines are easier to make work properly.
Isn't there a handful of 50cc scooters that are DI?

Edit, yep, the OP even says he has one in the first post.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .

tHEtREV screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 04:20 PM
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #18
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Isn't there a handful of 50cc scooters that are DI?

Edit, yep, the OP even says he has one in the first post.

I didn't read the whole OP, so the DI single is sounds too complicated for the typical dirtbike.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #19
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Yeah, I thought that too a while ago.

I was wondering where the DI bikes are if the technology was already out there, and thought there must be a big down side because it isn't.

But after reading an article in a mag that said KTM have a working DI bike, but it is going to add a significant amount to the price and the distributors don't believe that buying public will pay the extra, I could see where the down side is.

DI sounds good, but I'm still suspicious.

(But having said that, I'm in a country that you can still by a 2 stroke of the dealers floor in street legal trim...)

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #20
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

I went searching and found the article, and it would appear I was a bit wrong...

It is a small part of Dirt Action magazine July 13 issue 170 on the 14 MY KTM range, and it says...

Quote:
There are 260 technicians in the R&D department alone and, yes, they've got two-stroke EFI sorted and ready to go. The problem, it was explained, was that the EFI increased the weight and the price of the bikes; when KTM pointed this out to there dealers the overwhelming consensus was that they didn't want more expensive two-strokes and KTM should simply wait until European environmental laws forced it to make the move
So they are saying EFI, but it could be a stuff up on the writers part, because I can't really see EFI adding any significant weight...

And I have seen mags claim that the Ossa is DI and not EFI, so they may still be talking about DI and not EFI...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
Old 01-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #21
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
I am quite familiar with the DI 2 stroke outboards. They can be cleaner and more economical than a 4 stroke. As was noted earlier, look around at any marina, and you will see that 4-strokes dominate. Why? Simple marketing IMHO. The buying public has been sold on the "fact" that 2 strokes are dirty fuel wasters.

I don't think that even if DI was marketed here in the US it would be successful, for the same reason that the DI outboards seem to be on their way out, sad to say.

I for one would love to see a large 3 cylinder 2 stroke DI road bike, or maybe a square 4 like a Suzuki RG500 with a DI motor.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #22
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,105
BUMP...
More likely we will see a DI 4 stroke in the future. Eventually the valve train/cam as we know it will disappear to be replaced by some type of servo activated valve or "closing device".Buyers like the SOUND of a 4stroke even if it is not as powerful/cc as a 2 stroke.Cams,springs,cam chains all produce friction and cut HP and add weight. Some F1 racecars already have used pneumatic valves for several years.This is more likely our future.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote