Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #61
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Rockett View Post
I certainly will and I'm sure we will make it there this summer sometime.
Do you ever make it back to PA.?

Whether I'm 12 or whether I'm 64, spend my time like there ain't gonna be no more. (MONTROSE...MAKE IT LAST)
eddie bolted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #62
Rikki Rockett OP
Look What The Cat Rode In

Oddometer: 228
Yes, I do. My cousins, niece, etc are still back there. I just sold the house I grew up in last year. Very sad day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
Do you ever make it back to PA.?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #63
Rikki Rockett OP

BTW…

Having a 990 and a Tiger is pretty damn cool after all. I really think the 990 is more dirt oriented and so Im pretty sure the Tiger will do trips with more road and less dirt and the opposite for the 990.
The Tiger is smooth and feels great in twisties and most roads. I hate to start doing all kinds of shit to make it more off road oriented. some, but I don't want to go hog wild. I'd rather just make the 990 all about being a big assed dirt bike.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:04 AM   #64
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 499
Welcome to the addiction. I cannot get enough of my 990R. There is good offroad to be had in So Cal. Not Colorado good, but if you know where to go, not bad.
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #65
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,241
Now hold on a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJ View Post
There is good offroad to be had in So Cal. Not Colorado good, but not bad.
Last I checked Colorado doesn't have in it's back yard Baja North and South, Death Valley, Mojave B2V, Lower Anza Borrego, Big Bear, Carrizo Plains, Santiago Trails, Mammoth Lakes Trails and west Mulholland Hwy., just to name a few.

Don't forget the Death Valley area alone is a land of a thousand trails... And it's Goler Wash and Mengal pass are not to be underestimated.

Coming down Mengal pass into Striped Butte meadow during a rare spring bloom is outer worldly and very Colorado-esque!!!

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 12:37 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #66
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Last I checked Colorado doesn't have in it's back yard Baja North and South, Death Valley, Mojave B2V, Lower Anza Borrego, Big Bear, Carrizo Plains, Santiago Trails, Mammoth Lakes Trails and west Mulholland Hwy., just to name a few.

Don't forget the Death Valley area alone is a land of a thousand trails... And it's Goler Wash and Mengal pass are not to be underestimated.

Coming down Mengal pass into Striped Butte meadow during a rare spring bloom is outer worldly and very Colorado-esque!!!
All great spots! I think this pretty much summed it up. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like dirt bikes in Baja. It can go everywhere my 990 can go, but the 990 can't go everywhere my 525 can.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #67
Rikki Rockett OP

525, huh? Yeah, I know the 500's are more nimble. Oh, well. I'll get one of those eventually again too.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #68
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Rockett View Post
525, huh? Yeah, I know the 500's are more nimble. Oh, well. I'll get one of those eventually again too.
Poor mans 500! Baja proven.

MKJ screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 09:09 AM
Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 PM   #69
Rikki Rockett OP

500's

No KTM is a poor man's bike!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #70
MKJ
Married w/ Children

If you put a lot of hours in the saddle, your ass will start to burn with the POS stock seat. Renazco is nice, but I have found my Seat Concepts gets the job done. It's the first mod I made on my 990R.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #71
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 919
Thumb

Now then, Rikki! Got your PM and email.

Yup - I know that fella reasonably well... Given that we share the same brain (for what that's worth! ) and all.

I was actually waiting to hear back from you about the XC, but it seems you've gone and upped the ante somewhat!

Congrats on the new ride. An excellent choice, sir. If you need any guidance on precisely how to throw a shitload of cash at it, I (and plenty of others, I'm sure) will be more than happy to share the gory details of our battle with that sweet, sweet orange meth (Kool-Aid - even the cyanide-laced kind - is far too weak a metaphor).

As evidenced by my personal downfall / salvation:

Added a few more farkles since this pic. Only about another $4k worth of rims and bits and pieces to go. Probably.

Oh yeah... And you'll probably be needing some bags for the beast at some point. ... They do like to wander...

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #72
Rikki Rockett OP

Gorgeous

Damn, what a gorgeous bike, Mike!

I won't be abandoning the Tiger anytime soon. It's an amazing bike that will find a slightly different type of travel than the KTM. The 990 has already proven itself a bit more dirt worthy since I have had it only one week to the day. (Today).

I'll PM ya!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #73
satrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I too am debating a Tiger (800xc) and KTM 990 Adventure (Baja). The KTM really appeals to me more, but my highest concern for comparison between the two, at this time, is reliability. I do not want to spend all of my time performing maintenance / making repairs...would much rather use this time riding instead. I have only owned street bikes in my lifetime, but definitely looking for something different ... therefore, an adventure tourer. My research has come down to one of these two. I could be wrong, and both bikes have their own mechanical quirks it appears, though seems the KTM may have more issues for which the reasons are widely unknown. Below are just a few examples I'll use in recent threads. Have improvements been made to more recent KTM 990 models, compared to issues with older models. I would think it is doubtful, as it appears this LC8 engine has not changed for many years (if ever, I don't know). Though, I am not blaming the engine, solely, for the issues, as many of them may be electronic, etc.

Can anyone please report their opinion of the reliability of the 2013 990 Baja, specifically, even though they are still very new? Any problems yet, major or minor, whether covered under warranty or not?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365313
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951086
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701742
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951719

satrider screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 07:31 AM
satrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #74
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 919
My tuppeneth worth:

The motor is the last thing you need to worry about on a 990. There were a few dodgy components on earlier models (water pump shaft, clutch slave etc.) and some less than perfect assembly line procedures (loose chain guard, casting sand in the engine, canister-related vaporlocks) that caused problems, but I'm sure have been ironed out now. Or a least can be quickly, cheaply and easily if you do it before they have chance to fail.

These bikes don't like to go slow and can run hot, in low gear / low rev / high heat situations. That's is generally down to bubbles in the cooling system and easily fixed. To a degree, at least.

Aside from that, there are a few essential mods (side stand relocator and decent skid plate are the main ones) and a lot of desirable ones. Leaving only the fact that bike - by nature - needs servicing more often than many others. And it's kind of a PITA to work on. Valve checks - for example - suck.

But, such is life with a high performance motorcycle of pretty much any stripe.

The only thing that can really screw you up, is neglect / cack handed maintenance from a previous owner (don't ask me how I know!). Buying a new / low mileage / trusted Inmate previous owner one should avoid that.

My advice to anyone in this situation is always buy the bike that makes you grin the most. Most modern day motorcycles are powerful and reliable. But only a few are special I happen to think the big Katoom falls into the latter category.

Enjoy your decision!

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #75
Rikki Rockett OP

Tiger and 990 compared riding wise.

I haven't owned either long enough to know the maintenance details, yet. My Tiger has only a couple thousand miles and my KTM hasn't even had it's first service. From a riding perspective, the Tiger seems to be an over all better traveler, I think. (Again, I haven't had either all that long.) However, I did a few things on the trails with the 990 yesterday that I'm pretty sure I would have fallen had I been on the Tiger. I'd have to go back on the Tiger and try to really know, I suppose. The KTM just bites into the dirt better and feels more balanced. The Tiger on the other hand is effortless on the street. The KTM feels like I'm battling it on the street a little bit. (Headshake, etc, all can be corrected they say.) I love both bikes so far for different reasons.

I'd take the Tiger from LA to Frisco and grab a few trails along the way. I'd take the KTM to Death Valley and do dirt most of it. That's about the size of it right there. I do plan on doing some things to the Tiger like what the boyz up there in reno are doing with theirs.

Tiger is a great all around adventure tourer. KTM all around big enduro. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrider View Post
I too am debating a Tiger (800xc) and KTM 990 Adventure (Baja). The KTM really appeals to me more, but my highest concern for comparison between the two, at this time, is reliability. I do not want to spend all of my time performing maintenance / making repairs...would much rather use this time riding instead. I have only owned street bikes in my lifetime, but definitely looking for something different ... therefore, an adventure tourer. My research has come down to one of these two. I could be wrong, and both bikes have their own mechanical quirks it appears, though seems the KTM may have more issues for which the reasons are widely unknown. Below are just a few examples I'll use in recent threads. Have improvements been made to more recent KTM 990 models, compared to issues with older models. I would think it is doubtful, as it appears this LC8 engine has not changed for many years (if ever, I don't know). Though, I am not blaming the engine, solely, for the issues, as many of them may be electronic, etc.

Can anyone please report their opinion of the reliability of the 2013 990 Baja, specifically, even though they are still very new? Any problems yet, major or minor, whether covered under warranty or not?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365313
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951086
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701742
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951719