ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #76
satrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Great information! Thanks guys. Rikki Rocket, you've got a great idea ... just buy both, right. Unfortunately, that is not possible for myself, though. Still, a tough decision to make guys. As I would be traveling on highways quite a lot, the Tiger would seem more fitting. I believe both the Tiger and 990 need valve adjustments at "X" number of miles, right?

satrider screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 10:23 AM
satrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #77
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrider View Post
Great information! Thanks guys. Rikki Rocket, you've got a great idea ... just buy both, right. Unfortunately, that is not possible for myself, though. Still, a tough decision to make guys. As I would be traveling on highways quite a lot, the Tiger would seem more fitting. I believe both the Tiger and 990 need valve adjustments at "X" number of miles, right?

Tiger service interval for valve clearance/ adjustment is every 12k miles.

I was curious about the KTM and thanks to the interweb I found the recommended service intervals here: http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_downlo...2013_10_EN.pdf

If I interpret and convert is correctly, the 990 should have the valves checked every 9,300 miles or 15,000 Km and the dealer should charge you for 320 minutes of labor.

freefall109 screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 12:00 PM
freefall109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #78
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
Tires make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Rockett View Post
The KTM feels like I'm battling it on the street a little bit. (Headshake, etc, all can be corrected they say.) I love both bikes so far for different reasons.Tiger is a great all around adventure tourer. KTM all around big enduro. Does that make sense?
A lot of the ride characteristics you describe on your 990 come from the tires. Your Baja probably has the stock Dunlop 908rr tires, which are very aggressive and therefore shake the bike. But those same tires also really grab the terrain offroad. You can dramatically improve the road worthiness of the 990 by a simple tire swap. And of course if you really want to accentuate it's roadworthy, you can add a set of 19/17 wheels and tires. It's not a low budget affair but way more effective then owning two separate, similar bikes.

Most 990 owners would be very surprised how well the bike handles twisties with 19/17's.

The KTM 990 Baja has a complete refinement in it's platform compared to the earlier bikes. Every area of the bike has been improved. And from a reliability standpoint the Baja is a solid build.

This bike has been around for ten model years, which brings with it a huge amount of R&D. That shouldn't be overlooked. To any new owner, that equates into a lot of free design improvements and upgrades. I'd say it's hard to go wrong there.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #79
satrider
Adventurer

Thanks guys. Lots of good information. I am planning to ride dual-sport tires on the 990 Baja anyway. From what I understand, this along with correct suspension settings (once found) should alleviate the highway weaving. How comfortable is the stock seat on the 990 Baja for long distance riding (~ 400 miles)? Is it do-able? Perhaps with an Airhawk seat pad?

Also, interesting, "A proportion of up to 10% ethanol (E10 fuel) is permitted.", from KTM's site. I thought they strictly opposed the use of ethanol gas.

satrider screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 08:37 PM
Old 02-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #80
Rikki Rockett OP
Look What The Cat Rode In

Oddometer: 229
Well, that's the whole thing. I think that the KTM is set up better for dirt and I like it that way. I don't want to change tires every time I decide I want to go off roading. People have gone all over the world with these bikes. It's doable, for sure. I can put up with pretty much all of it's quirks, just the headshake might be nicely remedied with a steering stabilizer.

I didn't pay for one of these bikes. It's a long story, but lucky me! I'm kind of a motorcycle nut and having several bikes is heaven to me. I like feeling the differences of each bike and learning each bike's personality.

In reality, my Moto Guzzi Griso is a very similar bike to my Ducati Monster. Having one is fine, really. However, I like the subtle differences in the brands and I feel different on each bike. I own one truck, have no drug habits, pay my credit cards at the end of each month. I take pride in having a few bikes. It's my fix. I feel very fortunate.

Nice to hear all of your opinions. I value all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
A lot of the ride characteristics you describe on your 990 come from the tires. Your Baja probably has the stock Dunlop 908rr tires, which are very aggressive and therefore shake the bike. But those same tires also really grab the terrain offroad. You can dramatically improve the road worthiness of the 990 by a simple tire swap. And of course if you really want to accentuate it's roadworthy, you can add a set of 19/17 wheels and tires. It's not a low budget affair but way more effective then owning two separate, similar bikes.

Most 990 owners would be very surprised how well the bike handles twisties with 19/17's.

The KTM 990 Baja has a complete refinement in it's platform compared to the earlier bikes. Every area of the bike has been improved. And from a reliability standpoint the Baja is a solid build.

This bike has been around for ten model years, which brings with it a huge amount of R&D. That shouldn't be overlooked. To any new owner, that equates into a lot of free design improvements and upgrades. I'd say it's hard to go wrong there.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #81
Rikki Rockett OP

As much as I am a nut for the KTM, I still feel like the Tiger is a better bet for you. It is so nice on the road right out of the box. Ride one, you'll love it!

Quote:
Thanks guys. Lots of good information. I am planning to ride dual-sport tires on the 990 Baja anyway. From what I understand, this along with correct suspension settings (once found) should alleviate the highway weaving. How comfortable is the stock seat on the 990 Baja for long distance riding (~ 400 miles)? Is it do-able? Perhaps with an Airhawk seat pad?

Also, interesting, "A proportion of up to 10% ethanol (E10 fuel) is permitted.", from KTM's site. I thought they strictly opposed the use of ethanol gas.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #82
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
I spent a few hours on my non knobbie tired Tiger up at Rawhyde yesterday. Tiger did just as well as the beemers. I fell twice on two downhills cause of my own stupidity, but the Tiger was pawin' like a kitten for stock set up. I have no doubt that the 990 will be better in that environment. I plan on finding out next Saturday.

The 990 excites me more than I ever anticipated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Let me know how you do on their Ribbon course. I never did get completely through it without falling!
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #83
Rikki Rockett OP

I'm sure I'll biff!

Let cha know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkgd View Post
Let me know how you do on their Ribbon course. I never did get completely through it without falling!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #84
satrider
Adventurer

Quote:
As much as I am a nut for the KTM, I still feel like the Tiger is a better bet for you. It is so nice on the road right out of the box. Ride one, you'll love it!
Thanks Rikki. I sat on the Tiger 800xc at the dealer by my house, one leg down (as I have a 30" inseam), and realized the KTM 990 Baja seat height is six inches higher than that of the 800xc. Though there is no KTM dealer near my home, so haven't even looked at it, but don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling about riding the 990 through towns, you know.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #85
Rikki Rockett OP

The Tiger is a just a little bit more of an easy going ride. I don't know how better to explain that. I really love and I am very excited by the KTM. It's fun! But… the Tiger is a warm, fuzzy bike. It just is.

Quote:
Thanks Rikki. I sat on the Tiger 800xc at the dealer by my house, one leg down (as I have a 30" inseam), and realized the KTM 990 Baja seat height is six inches higher than that of the 800xc. Though there is no KTM dealer near my home, so haven't even looked at it, but don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling about riding the 990 through towns, you know.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #86
satrider
Adventurer

Also, something that worries me about the 800xc is the major agreement that the engine creates a great amount of heat. Though, maybe no more than the H-D XL1200R that I have now.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #87
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Also, something that worries me about the 800xc is the major agreement that the engine creates a great amount of heat. Though, maybe no more than the H-D XL1200R that I have now.
You want heat; try the 990. These puppies run hot. Not boiling up, overheating hot (unless it's crawling along in truly miserable temperatures, or something is up) but definitely warm. I put this down to their racing DNA, meaning they were designed to pretty much always have air flowing through the rad at a fair old rate of knots. I'd be surprised if the Tiger runs anywhere near as hot under normal use.

Top and bottom of this is: the Tiger is a great Adventure Tourer, that'll cruise beautifully on slab, flow through the turns and handle your average gravel / fire road or trail pretty well. But when it comes to off-road proper or tricky conditions (sand / mud / steep inclines etc) it's too revvy and high geared.

The KTM, on the other hand, is just the son of a big ol' desert racer that happens to have pretty decent road manners too. Not Multistrada good, but definitely way more than tolerable.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #88
satrider
Adventurer

Thanks to amanlikemike. Good info.