Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,360
AMA Pro Roadracing: Alabama (spoilers with a banjo on their knee)

http://www.fanschoice.tv/watch-live/ama/roadrace

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Just tuned in. First time running the 2-day format. Lets see how everyone does with the compressed schedule.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,198
Having only one team (Graves Yamaha) with a reasonable chance of winning makes for boring racing, imho. They clearly have the best bikes, biggest budget and probably the best riders.

The only battle of consequence is the one between the two Graves riders. And I suspect the new kid will prevail. He looks to be the real deal. Hope he gets a ride on the world stage next year, maybe to compete with P.J.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Welp. That SBK race showed just how pathetically shallow the DMG talent pool is these days.

Can't fault them for getting the races out there, live. They have a long way to go, though.

On a good note: JRP, top ten!
Old 06-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Welp. That SBK race showed just how pathetically shallow the DMG talent pool is these days.

Can't fault them for getting the races out there, live. They have a long way to go, though.

On a good note: JRP, top ten!
Lot of crashes and only a 16 bike grid for Superbike. 22 started in DSB and 41 qualified for SS. Nobody wants to race the Superbike class and there is no money to support you if you try. We'll see what happens with the WERA Pro series next year. At least it has TV.

DogBoy screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 03:36 PM
DogBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Lot of crashes and only a 16 bike grid for Superbike. 22 started in DSB and 41 qualified for SS. Nobody wants to race the Superbike class and there is no money to support you if you try. We'll see what happens with the WERA Pro series next year. At least it has TV.
Yep. DSB and SS were good.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
Mtneer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Superbike race might have been better were it not for the attrition, but it still is a thin field, hard time to be a road racer in the US, little to no factory support or contingency. It's the economy in general, look at the stands in a NASCAR race and how many empty seats there are and they have a TV deal, wish it was different but until people have more disposable income it won't get better. I hope the WERA Pro series ignites some passion to the sport, kind of like their FUSA did back when things were bad in the late 80's early 90's.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

I only follow IndyCar and the recently merged sports car series peripherally but I'm under the impression the talent pool isn't deep there, either. Road racing in general seems to be at a very low point in the U.S. MX, Off-road etc seem to have no shortage of fantastic racers. Interest and money for road racing on two wheels or four just isn't happening due to any number or reasons (series management, economy, fan interest, what have you). If I'm wrong on this, please correct me.

Back on topic. All the weekend's races have been uploaded to the AMA Pro Racing YouTube channel. I might just start waiting to watch the races on YouTube because the quality is so much better than the live steam. I'm still catching up from the weekend.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,016
Not directly related to AMA Superbike, but I had an interesting experience this past weekend watching motorcycle racing. Saturday I dropped into the Loudon Classic road race for an hour to see old friends. I was shocked at the size of the paddock! There were not many spare places to park a box trailer and camper. Biggest turnout since about 2004 I'd say. Multi-wave starts and such was the rule. True, mostly amateurs and novices, but still impressive.

Sunday I went to see my son and his friends race something called J Day Offroad at Jolly Roger MX park in NH. J Day is a dirt bike series that seems sort of a cross between an old-school motocross track, enduro single track, and enduro cross with the log jumps and other special obstacle sections. They have two 30 minute motos, and believe me they are racing the track more than each other. Prolly 5 minutes to make a lap for the pro's. But the fun was the amateurs. Dead motor starts in single line waves, 1 minute apart. Was like "On Any Sunday"... Three waves each moto.

There must've been 500 entry's and 3k spectators. 2 strokes, 4 strokes, pick-ups, EZ-Ups, lawn chairs, and grinning dirty faces. Lots of dirt and sparkling white teeth.

Maybe motorcycle racing is starting a grass roots comeback? Looked like it to me at Loudon and Jolly Roger.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer View Post
. It's the economy in general,. .

You won't find many automakers agreeing with you.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
You won't find many automakers agreeing with you.
Auto industry does not compare to motorcycle industry.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Auto industry does not compare to motorcycle industry.
Just saying it's not "the economy" that's to blame for a crappy ama series and I was referencing the great year most auto makers are having to suggest "the economy" isn't the mess some people portray. Only have to look at lack of new sport bike models in the 5 years to know that market is hurting.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
credit

What's helping the auto industry, and to a lesser extent the new bike market, is loosening credit standards and more consumer confidence. Motorcycles less because just about all ARE toys, bought on credit by by people with, on average, lesser credit.

85% of new cars are financed. Of those, 28% are 6 to 7 year loans.
That's about 3.3 MILLION cars sold that won't be paid in full until after 2020.
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Just saying it's not "the economy" that's to blame for a crappy ama series and I was referencing the great year most auto makers are having to suggest "the economy" isn't the mess some people portray. Only have to look at lack of new sport bike models in the 5 years to know that market is hurting.
Still no comparison. You will never have a strong road racing series without a booming moto industry in the United States and the moto industry is still hurting. Bikes aren't selling. As mentioned, average bike buyers don't have access to credit for toys for a variety of reasons.

Even with strong auto industry, auto road racing is still not healthy so you can imagine how bad the moto racing sector is. I'm not defending DMG because they have been a mistake factory but whoever was running AMA Pro Road Racing from 2009 onward was going to crash and burn pretty bad because there is just NO money for road racing. Sport bikes aren't selling and consumers aren't dumping extra money all over the aftermarket companies.