Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 01:49 AM   #166
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
C'mon... really guys? This thread is about - as should remain about - Michael Schumachers injury, his ongoing treatment and in the utmost of optimism, his eventual rehabilitation/recovery... whatever that might prove to be.

But it is most definately NOT the place for some CS&M like conspiracy theory discusion about his wealth, income or rumours that his medical transfer is some kind of "tax break".

There is a time and a place for just about everything here in the various halls of ADV... but seriously guys, this type of discussion brings a new paparazzi tabloid level of low to this particular thread.

Michael Schumacher is a world champion, and given the severity of his present condition I'd have thought that he deserves much better... be you a fan of his, or not.

I will leave the "out of place" comments up... if only to serve as note of what is NOT acceptable... take note.

Mate! Settle down! This is perfectly legitimate speculation. As ugly and cynical as it sounds, it could actually be on the money...Unfortunately, life's like that.

Hope not.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #167
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
live blog

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...-wifes-3709209

I don't know where the Mirror rates journalistically, but this seems to be a just-the-facts-ma'am update blog. There's more on his condition than I've seen from any other single source.

If the blog is accurate, and if my nephew follows my advance directive, the plug will be pulled if I ever come to that state. The strains on Schumi's wife and children are vast, I wish them strength.
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #168
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,177
from Wikpedia:

In October 2014, Michael's son Mick reported to an F1 commentator that Michael's road to recovery will be long and difficult, that he is waking up "very slowly", and that substantial blame for the injury was due to a GoPro camera attached to Michael's helmet.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #169
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
t substantial blame for the injury was due to a GoPro camera attached to Michael's helmet.

Yup. I thought so from the start. It was on top of his helmet and he speared a rock, the camera and it's mount likely centralized the impact on that one spot. It probably split the helmet open.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #170
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Yup. I thought so from the start. It was on top of his helmet and he speared a rock, the camera and it's mount likely centralized the impact on that one spot. It probably split the helmet open.
Ever since I read what the son said, I've been trying to figure out how the camera could have made things worse. Thanks for your explanation.

GoPro shares took a dive when that story came out. No idea if they've since recovered.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #171
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Reporter says linking Schumacher injury to GoPro was his opinion

Story

Quote:
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The French journalist who was reported to have made a link between Michael Schumacher's brain injury in a skiing accident and the GoPro camera he was wearing on his helmet has taken to Twitter to clarify that he was stating his own opinion, and not quoting Schumacher's son, as previously reported. "There was no news, it was just my opinion," Jean Louis Moncet said in a series of tweets. The son "could not say something about (the) camera or injury of Michael, because we did not speak together," he said. GoPro shares fell 9.9% Monday after the reports, which appeared to misunderstand comments made by Moncet in a radio interview. GoPro has not commented on the original reports. The shares were down 3.7% on Wednesday, caught up in the broader market selloff, but have more than tripled in value since their June initial public offering.

Quote:
from Wikpedia:

In October 2014, Michael's son Mick reported to an F1 commentator that Michael's road to recovery will be long and difficult, that he is waking up "very slowly", and that substantial blame for the injury was due to a GoPro camera attached to Michael's helmet.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #172
Rapid One
The name says it all

Oddometer: 271
Some racing organizations are beginnng to ban helmet mounted cameras and in some instances body mounted cameras. Attached to the car or bike, no problem.
Rapid One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #173
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,841
At track days here, cameras are forbidden on body or bike...(for other reasons)
Old 10-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #174
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
At track days here, cameras are forbidden on body or bike...(for other reasons)
So you do have lawyers down there?!

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #175
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid One View Post
Some racing organizations are beginnng to ban helmet mounted cameras ....
Why?
Old 10-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #176
Rapid One
The name says it all

Quote:
Why?
Safety concerns, try to keep up.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #177
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid One View Post
Safety concerns, try to keep up.
if you don't know just say so.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #178
Rapid One
The name says it all

Quote:
if you don't know just say so.
As has been talked about in this thread, there is evidence that a helmet mounted camera creates a fulcrum point for lack of a better word that increases the chance of helmet failure and or added injury. The Schumacher incident seems to point this out.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #179
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
a neuro-surgeon here commented just recently, that the mounted camera had practically zero to do with the outcome. Extra weight could affect neck injuries, neck hyperflexion for example, but here the damage was to the brain, and caused by hitting a solid rock.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #180
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
a neuro-surgeon here commented just recently, that the mounted camera had practically zero to do with the outcome. Extra weight could affect neck injuries, neck hyperflexion for example, but here the damage was to the brain, and caused by hitting a solid rock.
Tangential to this thread, but an interesting topic;

Quote:
“I don’t for a moment believe a camera would alter the structural integrity of the helmet, however I do believe that if an accident occurred and the camera was the first point of impact, one would think the helmet’s shell may be compromised. Any item of solid material attached to a helmet can become a penetrating object. It may inhibit a helmet’s ability to absorb, move or even function correctly in the event of an impact.”
MBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPro
Our policy is that it is up to the customer to ensure their camera is mounted safely and securely, we can not accept any liability regarding the way that a mounted camera my impact the user’s safety in the event of a crash
. VeloNews

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote