ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Oddometer: 416
Idaho in August this year

Well we did a ride in early august this year as a continuation of our failed attempt to complete Lolo last year. After getting harassed over the holidays to do a little write up on our adventures i have decided its time!
I wasn't going to do a report but after seeing a few other riders adventures and their write ups i thought maybe a few would be interested in what Idaho had to offer for us this year.
We'll start at the same place in Kamiah, ID at the Lewis and Clark Resort and do our loop ride based out of there.

Cabin # i forget as we were just there for one night. Greg doing some checks on his trusty KLR.

Our plan this year was to do a ride a little later in the year to try to avoid some of the snow and late melt off we experienced last year.
So with that in mind we figured August would be late enough to avoid this. We would start on the well known route out of Kamiah on paved FS rd 100 ( Glenwood) to hit Lolo Motorway, it was nice and looked to be a great day to be on a bike and doing the things you love to do with the people you love. It was amazing with no snow how fast you could do the motorway, who'd a thunk it!

Really beautiful today on the Motorway!

Our lunch stop is Noseeum Meadows with a poser shot of our gang of three amigos!

Its real hazy at the top due to all the fires this season in Idaho. Visibility is not great. We are having a great first day and feeling great!

A stop at the post office was in order.

Selfy at the post office in the haze! Sorry i don't carry fancy SLR cameras or any thing just a Canon point and shoot and a Go Pro.

Our first tree down over the route led us along the slippery paths of flashbacks to last years adventure, but Greg is having none of this shit this year as he manhandles that sum bitch out of the rd. We were all relieved as this would be the only real tree down on the motorway.

Our plan was to hit rd 518 at cayuse jct. but we decided to go the full motorway and double back to find the rd we all somehow missed. Duh moment!
We continue to Kelly creek as its getting on in the day.

Friggin Awesome, thats all i got.

Our camp for tonight is a primitive camp at the old Cayuse Landing strip which looks like it is now only minimally used by outfitters. It looks like it could have been a fly fishing camp back ion the day!

Thats all i got tonight, will follow up later tomorrow.
Cheers TB
tommybelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,603
Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,235
So good so far, TB!
Lolo is on the list for us,..maybe this August.
Until then, thanks for your RR
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Thanks for sharing the great pics. Some of us locals hit much of that a few years back at the Triple-T Overdose ride. I would swear by the last two pics that you camped in the exact same spot as we did. That's the campground right down the rd from Red Ives right?

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Can't go wrong with the Lolo or Tobbogan ridge. Nice start.

Lewis and Clark a good kick off point.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Thanks for sharing the great pics. Some of us locals hit much of that a few years back at the Triple-T Overdose ride. I would swear by the last two pics that you camped in the exact same spot as we did. That's the campground right down the rd from Red Ives right?
KR,
This camp in the pic is at the end, almost of fs rd 581 on Cayuse Creek. There is 4-5 dispersed camps on the creek and pit toilets.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

End of Day 1 and into Day 2

Well we got into camp and got all settled but heres a picture of something strange at the airstrip, i think it could be an old timey weather station? Its pretty cool.

You want to make sure to get you vitamins out here for sure. If they only knew that they could boil the pine needles and get what they needed to live.

We hiked down to the other end of the airstrip to an outfitter camp and some out buildings that were cool. It was a good end to day one with several more days of riding bliss! The night ended with some cool thunderstorms that really only produced a few sprinkles during the night, after a few beverages the crews calls it a night.

Selfy bike shot at the bridge over Kelley Creek.

URL=http://s660.photobucket.com/user/tommybelvedere/media/IMG_1918.jpg.html][/URL]

More shots in action, heres our fearless leader Les.

The plan is to hit Superior, MT and get fuel and supplies and maybe lunch. Its pretty warm in the mid 80s Roads 255 and 200 get us in to Superior and we duck into the bar for some internet and lunch. Phone calls to home were in order and after lunch were off like a herd of turtles!

We head NW out of town and rd 342 gets us to Torino pass and Little Joe pass. Its nice cruising along not to technical just about right!

A shot along the way

Really beautiful in the Bitterroots lots of eye appeal everywhere you look.

So the signs in this area were mostly down and actually pointing in the wrong direction which gave us all a little adventure for the afternoon. It was only a few miles of exploring.

Greg is trying to figure out where the hell we are with the highest point method here!

Les and I taking in the sights along the way. It sure was a nice comfortable day so far for all, thats always nice. I am not sure if any one else uses bike shorts under your riding pants to help save your butt when you ride but this is one thing i thought i would try this year. I have to say i am a believer, they have pads where it counts and wern't too bulky. I will use these again! No pics, but you get the idea.

Along the Continental Divide

Avery tunnels, there are several cool old rail tunnels in the area. They are pretty cool, i was commenting to Greg when checking this one out that it would be fun to go blast down the tunnel on my bike. I see if the video exists still.

We use rds 391 and 326 i think to get thru to Moon pass rd and our evening destination to camp. We settle at Loop Creek and have the place to ourselves, except for a bunch of pesky whitetail does.

Thats all we have for the day 2 of our Idaho Year two adventure. After the usual dinner and drink preps and consumption we all take to the tents and a nights rest as tomorrow you may need it. I leave you here and see if i can find my damn Go Pro footage.
TB Cheers!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,530
Hey, Greg !

Pass me that Cheez-Whiz ! ! !

Thanks for posting Tom.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

delays!

Sorry people for the long delay. I had to go to Hawaii with my wife to warm our bones and celebrate my 50th birthday, it was a much needed break for the both of us. I swear i will have some great photos and some cool video posted up when i get home.
Mahalo!
TB
Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
TeamGS
Adventure-seeking family

Oddometer: 167
Awesome report so far!!

Idaho riding sucks, doesn't it??
TeamGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Lovely Idaho!

Yeah, i think others should avoid the areas covered in this and other ride reports here as it really sucks. You never konw what could happen out in the wilds of Idaho. I think they still use land line telephones and mailboxes there?
I will be back at it as soon as i figure out my tunnel ride video with real train whistle. Stay tuned for some more terrible scenery, awful roads and not much in the way of a view vistas along our route thru Idaho this past august.
TB
Old 01-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybelvedere View Post
Sorry people for the long delay. I had to go to Hawaii with my wife ...
TB
Sorry about the Hawaii trip . Hurry up and get back and finish this RR!

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Back from Hawaii

Ok after a warming of the bones on the beachs of Hawaii and Maui I'm back. When we left the cold reality of the PNW in January for the warming shores of Hawaii we were at Loop Creek camping. We broke camp and headed for Wallace for the 2 fuels required. We stop at memorials for the big burn outside Wallace, good read at the Pulaski Tunnel about Big Ed and how he took his crew of miner to a tunnel in the area to escape the fire.
The sign at the Pulaski tunnel on the way to Wallace.

We got to Wallace in the blazing heat and got some gas and some grub from the locals, afterword we head for rd 424 via Ninemile Cr. Rd.real nice riding today and before we knoe it it is time for a little lunch up higher where it is cooler than Wallace.

We come blazing down the road only to run into a small bull moose in the road. I am not sure if you can see him but heres a point and shoot attempt to capture the moment.

Our plan was to hit Clark Fork and get some gas and food. We manage to make it to the base of the Cabinet Mountains and the Cabinet Mtn Grille for lunch. We gas and go as we make our way along the Noxon res. to the east.

Its gorgeous along the Coeur d'Alene River on this day of awesome riding.

Our rd. takes us to Thompson falls for a little respite and a ;little hike to an anti-climatic falls.

Finally we make our way to Big hank C.G. on the river for a little r and r a bath in the river ( for me anyway) and a good nights rest after a good day of riding. I forgot to mention how much i enjoy this type of ride and how much of a blast i am having. I look forward to this ride every year and would not give it up for anything. I will ride it till the wheels fall off!!

Camp for the night>

Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
A great ride, thanks for posting.

The 1910 fire is the birth of the forest service. Pulaski and others were pioneers and not appreciated for their dedication. A great book about it.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

I regress a little

I couldn't resist posting a video of a tempting tunnel ride at Adair. i thought it would be fun to ride through it. It was late, no one was around and we walked the length of it before i rode through. I could not resist!

I think i thought i was a train! It was fun but the video is kinda dark, even with the high beam on. There is alot of really cool old tunnels in this area and they are real cool, check them out just south of Wallace a bit.

Tundradirtbikerider-
My wife has that book and said it was real good. I don't get alot of read time unless its on ADV!
An interesting side note on the Big Burn, my wifes Great Great? Grandfather was in the area of the burn back when it happened, they barely had time to get out. After the fire they went back to the camp at which they were working and the thing he had found in his personal items was a tobbaco tin with a few assorted silver coins in it and they were partially melted all into one piece still in the tin, it is a family heirloom now and is testament to the power of a wildfire!

Now back to the story
Day 4 brings us to packing up from Big Hank CG on the river. Its the usual hub bub of packing up eating your breakfast and seeing if you crap will somehow fit back on your bike. You really figure out quick which particular things you don't really use and hopefully attach to next rides do not take list. I try to shave weight everytime to lighten the load but when your camping and traveling offroad on your bike you kinda have to be a little prepared.
Our route from camp is through the historic Mcgee Ranger station and its district, real pretty weather and good fast roads. Clark Fork is on our radar for lunch and fuel. We found the mcgee ranger station, which i think you can rent out for your next big ADV basecamp? It would be a cool location for such an event? We missed the turn North for rd. 3099 and found it, oh well we will turn around and head that way. We end up meeting up with Johnson Cr rd down to take up into Cabinet, not much there but a tasty lunch at the Cabinet Mtn. Grill and some steak to cook for dinner at the gas station and we are set!

Here is some photographic proof in case you were wondering what the hell i'm talking about!
Greg on a cool bridge where we were supposed to turn North!

Mcgee Ranger HQ

Cool Barn at same HQ

Heres a cool dusty rd shot or four!

Oh my freakin god is this place beautiful! I can't believe all the water. This is before dropping down into Cabinet, so pretty.

After lunch we are riding along the south side up to the Noxon Res. on Harker rd i believe. There is alot of deer everywhere and we are on high alert for surprises.
We come to the only crossing in the area to get to Vermillion rd and heres this nice 2 point Mule deer he dives in and starts swimming, got some grainy video. pretty cool, never seen one swim that far.

Our destination becomes Sylvan Lk. for the night. Our route takes us up the Vermillion River and lots of mining activity in the area.

Sylvan Lk. is deserted and we have it to ourselves! Cool lakeside camping in a wonderful mtn. setting, time for setting up along with a cool refreshing beverage!

There is this cool floating dock at lakeside and i decide i want to float it out into the middle and have a little dip in the lake. Greg decides to join me, although he is not fond of swimming.

We tell the usual stories around a warm fire and crash out when we run out of beverages. A deer rummages at the far end of the lake as the sun goes down on day 4!
I will try to get the following days up soon, i'm trying to remember the story from notes, its one reason to do a ride report as soon as you can when you get home, but you know haw it is!
Peace
Tommy Belvedere