Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #31
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
You couldn't help yourself, could you? I would wager that if he moved away from the Rev'it Sand because of the liners, the the Spidi would not not be on the short list..but I do agree that for the market price it is well worth a look.

Time to post back in the main thread when you get a little more time with it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777028
There aren't too many that understand this disease we both suffer from

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Spidi vents. I would've preferred to see Spidi tape the seams and add a few waterproof zippers so they could do away with the inner liner. Even so, assuming it performs as claimed, it seems like one of the best compromises out there for weather protection. I still find it interesting that they would choose to go to the trouble of a laminated shell, then not finish the job.

So far, I'm really impressed with the fit, finish and comfort. All the removable junk is in the (also included) big ass duffle bag thing they include.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #32
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Voted for the Poseidon today with my dollars after far too much consternation. Many very fine choices, could have easily gone with the BLP.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #33
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
The Badlands will loosen up a little bit as you wear it, but not by much, in my experience. On the bike, however, you won't even know it's there. Off the bike, it's a PITA sometimes. The jacket is designed and built for riding.

You can try removing all the armor and washing it a couple times to loosen it up, but it didn't work much for me. YMMV.
Having owned my original Badlands jacket for a bit over two years, I can assure you that it will loosen/soften up a bit. My new Badlands showed up yesterday and man is it STIFF!! (Not as stiff as the Adventure Rally though . . .) I'm looking forward to many years with this new jacket.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #34
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Having owned my original Badlands jacket for a bit over two years, I can assure you that it will loosen/soften up a bit. My new Badlands showed up yesterday and man is it STIFF!! (Not as stiff as the Adventure Rally though . . .) I'm looking forward to many years with this new jacket.
I'd listen to YetiGS regarding the jacket stiffness. Mine didn't soften up a bit. I only had mine for a year before some guy in an SUV decided he just had to make that turn right in front of me. Boom!

My hi-viz jacket arrived a couple weeks ago and it's much less stiff than the regular black Badlands.

Nevertheless, stiff or not, I love this jacket.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #35
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 357
Badlands is off the short list

Why? Cause I bought one after much deliberating and humming and hawwing and some more deliberating not to mention lots of research. To make a long story short: the Badlands doesn't fit me.

I tried the large and was swimming in it so I went for the medium even though a little voice in the back of my head said,"Think about it very carefully!" Well, I was under a bit of pressure since I had the opportunity to pick it up for about 40% less than it would have cost me locally. (And before I go on, yes I tried it on in the store. I wore it around for 10-15 minutes and sat on a bike for several minutes in a variety of postures to get a feel for the fit. A test fit in the store is no substitute for a prolonged ride on your own machine with the rest of your gear on.) As I own the Rally Adventure pants already, I was optimistic that the jacket would loosen up a bit over time. It might, but I am no longer prepared to wait and here's why.

The collar. Yes, I know it's been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere but I figured at the time of purchase that it was about 8-10(love) : 1(hate) so the odds were on my side. The collar is high to begin with but the fact that the jacket is so stiff, causes the jacket to jam an already high collar further into my neck. Compounding this discomfort, is the fact that I suspect one of the velcro patches on the collar on my example is slightly mislocated, creating a crease that bends in towards the neck. So now you have a stiff collar jamming your throat from underneath, and a pointy crease trying to saw off your adam's apple with each turn of the head.

I wanted to love this jacket, and everything else (OK, a bit more room in the sleeves would have been better, but I could live with that if not for the stupid collar) is top drawer: materials, workmanship, all sorts of cool little features, etc.

Incidently, I tried contacting KLIM to ask if there was a possibility my jacket was the victim of a manufacturing error (with regard to the location of said velcro patch and snap). Two in fact. Nodda. No PFO letter, no,"That's nice but we have your money now so we no longer give a rat's ass about you.", nothing. Does not representative of most of the service others have raved about. Perhaps being in Europe makes me a customer second class.

I don't want to turn this into an anti-KLIM rant. Like I said, I own their Rally Adventure pants and I am very happy with them. I had hoped to the BLP would be the jacket for me. It's not, but if you can deal with the collar, there is not much else to say other than it is a premium bit of kit.

Now, that I am looking for alternatives, the Poseidon is on my list too. I wanted to check it out but am having a hard time tracking on down locally to try on. I've read everything I can about it too, and the reviews are mostly positive with a few things that aren't so glowing. If anyone can chip in with some comparisons and real world riding experience, I would appreciate the input.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #36
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I had the Badlands as well and sold it because it was tight in all the wrong places and loose in all the others. the shoulders and arms were way too tight and the belly portion of the jacket made me feel like I could ride with a beach ball in my jacket and not notice the difference. That might be a slight exaggeration but I did put a volleyball under the jacket and was able to zip it up without it being uncomfortable. I just don't understand American cut clothing, shouldn't we be ashamed that American cut is basically a box shape or an "A" shape when we should be more of a "V" shape?
Anyways, I was really disappointed with the Badlands and I wanted to love it so badly!! If only it fit better I would have worn that jacket for the rest of my life. I sold it though and am now on the hunt for the right jacket.
I'm thinking that the Poseidon with the side adjusters might fit quite a bit better.
The only thing I don't like about the Poseidon is the back vent. I feel like Klim did a really good job with their venting and even if you were wearing a camelbak you could reap all the benefits of the vents. It looks like the Poseidon back vent will be basically useless with any sort of backpack or camelbak on...
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #37
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
The only thing I don't like about the Poseidon is the back vent. I feel like Klim did a really good job with their venting and even if you were wearing a camelbak you could reap all the benefits of the vents. It looks like the Poseidon back vent will be basically useless with any sort of backpack or camelbak on...
It looks similar to the Everest so your assumption would be correct. For that reason, I've narrowed that particular feature as a requirement in any of my jackets I want to wear above 70F.
If its built anything like the Everest, you'll be happy. Those waist adjusters are some of the best in the business.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #38
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
Why? Cause I bought one after much deliberating and humming and hawwing and some more deliberating not to mention lots of research. To make a long story short: the Badlands doesn't fit me.

I don't want to turn this into an anti-KLIM rant. Like I said, I own their Rally Adventure pants and I am very happy with them. I had hoped to the BLP would be the jacket for me. It's not, but if you can deal with the collar, there is not much else to say other than it is a premium bit of kit.

Now, that I am looking for alternatives, the Poseidon is on my list too. I wanted to check it out but am having a hard time tracking on down locally to try on. I've read everything I can about it too, and the reviews are mostly positive with a few things that aren't so glowing. If anyone can chip in with some comparisons and real world riding experience, I would appreciate the input.
I had the same with the collar on my Overland jacket, which is now collecting dust ... I seriously wanted to love my Klim jacket, but unfortunately no such luck. I also tried to contact Klim, but got no response at all, which is not great.

I am lucky I still have my Stadler jacket (which is getting old), and having tried a "few" brands the last 2 months, I still think Stadler is the best brand, and they at least still listen and responds to concerns.

Casper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #39
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
I'm a big boy at 6'5 and 250lbs. I wear Klim Badlands in XL Jacket and 40Tall pants. Fits great. I like the American cut of it. I really like the Rev'it Gear but they don't make any pants that can work for me. I would need like a 3-4x Tall and 2X is the biggest they make in a tall. I actually bought the Rev'it Sand 2 Jacket in 3XL that fit great and the 2XL Pants but now way those pants would have ever zipped up. I could not even get them over my thighs. Those pants are made for Asians I think... Definitely not for the big boys. Klim Gear 100% All the way..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #40
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,537
Bought a Klim coat because it was Gore Tex. Great to have one jacket, no liner bullshit to put up with. Never did like the fit of the coat, had Rev it gear before and always like the way it felt. Looks like Ill have to try and find a dealer to scope the suit out.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #41
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I'm a big boy at 6'5 and 250lbs. I wear Klim Badlands in XL Jacket and 40Tall pants. Fits great. I like the American cut of it. I really like the Rev'it Gear but they don't make any pants that can work for me. I would need like a 3-4x Tall and 2X is the biggest they make in a tall. I actually bought the Rev'it Sand 2 Jacket in 3XL that fit great and the 2XL Pants but now way those pants would have ever zipped up. I could not even get them over my thighs. Those pants are made for Asians I think... Definitely not for the big boys. Klim Gear 100% All the way..
Funny enough I'm in the opposite situation, klim does simply not fit me. I wear 58/58 EU size which is ~XL - 2XL KLIM but if I get something which fit the across my shoulders then the arms will fit a orangutang and the collar will almost reach my ears, which really suck. For me it looks like Klim is made for people with long necks, and arms like orangutans :-D (sorry, but I couldn't help myself).

I don't wear Rev'IT anymore, but Stadler... same price, probably same quality, but better fitting.

A colleague of mine bought a new Rev'IT suit, and it actually looks very interesting, Gore Tex, proper watertight zippers, and it actually looks nice.

The last few months I've looked at all the big brands (after my dissatisfaction with a KLIM Overland jacket), and if one wants "cheap" Gore Tex then getting Rev'IT, Held, etc., ie. cheaper brands is a better deal than getting the cheap stuff from the expensive brands - you get more for the money.

Casper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #42
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

My review of the Poseidon gear

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post23763817
Old 03-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #43
dmtalon
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I can probably post up some opinions here too since I just finished going through this process, and both jackets mentioned here were on my list as well as the Aerostich gear. Primarily this will be of street use, and commuting. I come from sport bikes and one piece leather suits for weekend's with jeans/leather jacket for commuting.

Gone are those days, I have an ST1300 now and want to ride it over driving my 15mpg Tundra 27 miles each way to work as often as possible.

In the end, I chose The Rev'it Poseidon, which just arrived yesterday. *MY* goal was more centered around ease of daily use in multiple weather conditions. And as much as I like Klim gear (I wear Klim on my KTM 450XCW) For the street I wanted an included "thermal liner".. I spent a lot of time at revzilla watching videos and comparing various brands, as well as googling about Aerostich. My biggest hang-up with Areostich was the mixed reviews about it's rain protection (leaky crotch etc..)

I eventually decided I wanted the Water Protection in the shell vs. having to have multiple liners. That limited me to the more expensive gear having the Gore-tex baked into the outer shell and being able to mainly just worry about temperature (aka winter = liner in, summer = liner out) the Poseidon won over Klim.

I rode to work this morning in ~35f temps and some freezing rain (minor), and the suit felt good on the bike. It didn't rain enough to do any water proof testing, just a few drops really. It doesn't fit me perfect, but they didn't build it directly for me. I think I got the best size for my build / needs.

I'm 6'0, 190Lbs athletic and went with an XL Jacket and L Pants. The pants are pretty tight w/liners and jeans on, but with just jeans they fit really well. If I were not commuting I could wear a thin layer+liner and be in really good shape I think. The jacket fits great on length and width, but gives me a lot of room for cookies in the future, even with the side straps cinched in most of the way.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone, and I surely hope this gear holds up for quite a few years/miles since it cost more than my one piece leathers!
dmtalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #44
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Very good review!! Like you I watched the Revzilla videos numerous before I narrowed down my potential selections.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #45
HalB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Poseidon GTX pants

I went yesterday to buy the Klim Badlands pants, convinced they would be the best pants ever. I tried on several sizes and like several comments in this thread, found that they just did not fit. Sat on the bike and the bottom of the pants came within a few inches of the top of my boots, not good for waterproofing. And I am only a 32" inseam. The rest of the fit was just well...wrong. Then the salesman said try these on, Rev'it GTX, those weren't on my list, I wanted Klim!!

Put those things on, fit like custom made, sat on the bike, perfect length to the boot. I can't speak for comparable quality, but they looked as well made, and actually looked better stylewise. The Klim stuff looks like you just stepped into a laundry pile, it's a sloppy look, not that it matters. Wore them on 2 rides, perfect comfort, and lighter weight than my previous armour. It was cold without the liner, so there is promise there, for summer time. Waterproof is guaranteed, it will or wont.
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote