ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #136
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
When are you moving to New Zealand?
One of these days I hope to return to NZ. Lived in Tokoroa for 3 years when I was a youngster.... great memories of a wonderful place.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #137
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
One of these days I hope to return to NZ. Lived in Tokoroa for 3 years when I was a youngster.... great memories of a wonderful place.
Gezz you are local ... if you make it down our door is open, you would be welcome ... even a SE to ride .

Keep up the great work
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #138
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Gezz you are local ... if you make it down our door is open, you would be welcome ... even a SE to ride .

Keep up the great work
You to get home first - anyway enough talk of land where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Back to the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #139
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
You to get home first - anyway enough talk of land where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Back to the build.
If the sheep ever figure out how to revolt, they are going to be in trouble
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #140
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Progress has been made, have pictures but need sleep more than I need to post them right now.... Also discovered that the subframe is cracked in a couple places so its going to come off as soon as I have the harness finished and get welded/gussets
Old 03-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #141
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 810
siiiiick. so whens the turbo going on?
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #142
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

Oddometer: 568
what a long (but well done) job....

ps.
Why two fuel filters?

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=223
Patacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #143
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patacca View Post
what a long (but well done) job....

ps.
Why two fuel filters?

The first filter is 'coarse' and filters down to 74 micron prior to the pump. 100 micron is probably OK, but Walbro recommends 80 so I stuck with the pump manufacturer's specs. The other filter is the 'fine' filter and is after the pump and it is 10 micron. Then the fuel pressure regulator taps in after this filter, then the now 51 PSI (3.5Bar) fuel goes up to the fuel injector distribution rail and then into the tops of the injectors. The fuel injectors also have filters at their input to keep any small amount of debris that might be in the fuel system from getting through to the injector nozzles.

It is taking a while for sure. I have not been able to spend as much time on it as I originally thought I could in the timeframe alloted for the project.. There was a couple weeks where I had a very serious cold that then turned to pneumonia and Doc said 'don't mess this it, rest and recoop'.

I am heading out into the shop right now, should have major sections of the harness completed and major systems running tonight.

Head2Wind screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 02:31 PM
Old 03-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #144
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 416
I'd rather it take longer and be done proper (the way it is getting done) than rush it and have to rework things later. The allotted time has expanded and the bike is going to be a blast for the upcoming season. So stoked.

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #145
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

Very impressive job my dear,
take your time to recover and take it's time for the bike...
As said it's better a good-slow job than a mistake.

The harness is something that drives me crazy... how can a human be able to fix it....WOW!!!

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 AM   #146
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
A bit late in the process, but why not use a SM tank with stock 990 pump? I'm quite happy with the 990 pump om my former 950, FI'ed bike!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #147
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
A bit late in the process, but why not use a SM tank with stock 990 pump? I'm quite happy with the 990 pump om my former 950, FI'ed bike!
That can be a option for any other FI'd build, however with this one Dan wanted/needed to retain the PowerCell custom large capacity tank (a modified SM tank). Also... isn't the SM a 950 Carbed bike in the US?

There is another EFI SE build in the works that will be starting as soon as I get Dan's bike done. We may consider using a SM tank
Old 03-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #148
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
That can be a option for any other FI'd build, however with this one Dan wanted/needed to retain the PowerCell custom large capacity tank (a modified SM tank). Also... isn't the SM a 950 Carbed bike in the US?

There is another EFI SE build in the works that will be starting as soon as I get Dan's bike done. We may consider using a SM tank
Here (Italy) we have SM950 carbed and SM990 EFI......it should be like that everywhere....

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #149
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,658
990 SM and SMT here in Aust. Tank is a neat fit over the adv frame
Old 04-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #150
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Progress....

I have finally been able to get into the shop and spend some quality time with the SE 990 EFI conversion. The harness is starting to take shape. All of the patches and jumpers are in place with the correct resistors to fool the ECU into thinking that all of the extra crap is there like the SAS, EVAP control valves. I have eliminated the safety latching system, so when the main power and the bar switch are in the 'ON' position, independent of the gear position, the starter will run if the 'start' button is pushed. The 'roll over' switch has been effectively eliminated, so when things get rough and tumble, the ECU will not be cutting in/out. I had a bit of a fight with the display and with one of the ECUs I have... I think the ECU is toast, EBAY buy some time ago that I never verified right after I got it in hand, so my fault for not making sure it was 100%. The other problem was related to a secondary ground that plugs into the display harness. There are two wires in this plug, one is a ground and the other is associated with the security system.... I _assumed_ that since the one that went to the not existent alarm/security system was not going to be used that the other one (Ground) wasn't needed either..... WRONG. I thought that there was something wrong with the wiring that I had completed, but before really going nuts and cutting it apart, I started troubleshooting with a stock 07 SD harness that I have, which was doing the same as the custom harness. At first I thought that then the display was toast, but since I have been collecting bits lately I just so happen to have two other displays to test with. All displays were doing the same thing.... damit! As a last ditch I plugged in the two conductor plug at the display harness to main harness, energized the harness and ~LET THERE BE DISPLAY LIGHT~ freakin awesome.

Provided that I can managed to continue to spend time on it this week, it should be making putt putt sounds soon.