Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
What he said!

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #153
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,110
I bet your making put put noises yourself sitting next to it already...
Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #154
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
I bet your making put put noises yourself sitting next to it already...
I blame the chilly for that....

I cut away most of the forward harness plugs last night, leaving about 4-6 wires that need to be plugged into the left bar switch that was bought from SICASS racing. It has the ability to turn the lights off/on-low/hi as well as left/right signal.... since they do not provide any diagram for what wires are which function I have to go through figuring that all out now

The other 'custom' part of this bike is the HID head light bulb and ballast. Since it uses a electromagnetic low/hi the bar switch will only be controlling this function as well as on/off. I am going to power it from the OEM fuse (originally it was direct wired to the battery).

One of my goals has been to reduce the amount of 'stuff' attached to the steering assembly to lighten up the steering and reduce failure points of wires that are always getting bent back and forth... this means the area behind the steering stem/bearing in the frame is getting a little crowded... I am moving the blinker diode and flasher unit into the under seat area. The main ignition switch is getting moved as well. I am adding some wires to support the powerlet port and AUX switches on the HWDB bar clamp.

I still need to get the gauge cluster mount plate into CAD and cut (the original doesn't have the holes in the right spots). The under throttle body heat shield is still a work in progress as the person that I hired to draw it in CAD and cut/bend the part was f'n HIGH... argh... complete redraw required which was the reason I hired him in the first place so I didn't have to F@#$% with it... seriously. As soon as this is corrected I will have a stainless one laser cut and bent.

I am also doing a little extra bit with the cooling fan control. This is a new unit that allows the user to determine what the 'ON' temp is from a digital display head. The OEM thermo switch is replaced with a temperature probe, which displays on the control head... the fans are then controlled by this unit... Trying to find a 'good' spot to mount this control head on this application is going to be a bit of a challenge, but I have a idea of where its going... the wires coming out of the head are not very long so will need to extend them if the unit is going to be visible while operating/riding, otherwise it can be tucked away somewhere else and only viewed while adjusting the ON temp setting... more on this later as I get it figured out.

As with many SEs that get ridden hard with stuff on their backs the subframe is cracked in a couple spots, so as soon as I get it running I am going to pull that off, fix the cracks and weld in more support so hopefully it will stop that nonsense.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #155
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post

I am also doing a little extra bit with the cooling fan control. This is a new unit that allows the user to determine what the 'ON' temp is from a digital display head. The OEM thermo switch is replaced with a temperature probe, which displays on the control head... the fans are then controlled by this unit... Trying to find a 'good' spot to mount this control head on this application is going to be a bit of a challenge, but I have a idea of where its going... the wires coming out of the head are not very long so will need to extend them if the unit is going to be visible while operating/riding, otherwise it can be tucked away somewhere else and only viewed while adjusting the ON temp setting... more on this later as I get it figured out.
Make this available to us and you will have a winner.

Love your thread. Sure do wish it were not so involved though. While that makes it an awesome bike that is unique for you, it makes it out of reach for us mere mortals.

ben
Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #156
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Make this available to us and you will have a winner.

Love your thread. Sure do wish it were not so involved though. While that makes it an awesome bike that is unique for you, it makes it out of reach for us mere mortals.

ben
Working on it the best I can. Been piled high with other priorities and this hasn't made it to the top as soon as I wanted it to.

The truth is that the conversion from carb to EFI could be done with less fuss and messing around with stripping out things from the harness. The fuel systems were a challenge getting them mounted to the right place and getting the hoses routed correctly. I don't see 100s of these conversions happening, so building a 'kit' to convert SEs to EFI probably will not be happening any time soon. Having said that, I do have another conversion in the wings though.... As soon as this one is done the other one will start after I get my bike back together
Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #157
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 403
Well just when I thought you couldn't throw any more little tricks at the bike you go and do this. Excited to see the progress on the adjustable thermostat. Will be a nice addition to have when in tight sections or sand washes.

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #158
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

More progress..... it can pump the explosive stuff.... :)

Head2Wind screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 09:13 PM
Old 04-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #159
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wire harness is still 'loose', only a couple things to finish on the bar switch systems. Need to tighten the headers to the heads and put some coolant in it then can let it run for a minute to make sure its 100% before I seriously start bolting things on in a more permanent sense.

More to come as I work on it today. Should be test riding this week.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #160
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

OK, so its running MUCH BETTER.....

Old 04-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #161
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 324
Awesome Ken! Your video brings back great memories of your build of my SE!!
Geoff.

Sent from my Flip Phone using Smackadoodle.
'09 KTM 530 EXC, '12 KTM 350 EXC
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #162
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

That is awesome. So good to hear it run Ken because I bought the engine without seeing or hearing it run first. Thanks for the update this is the best Easter ever!!

2014 KTM 250 XC-W

Dan950ser screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 11:12 PM
Old 04-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #163
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Waikiki View Post
Awesome Ken! Your video brings back great memories of your build of my SE!!
Geoff.

Sent from my Flip Phone using Smackadoodle.
Hey Geoff,
Great to see it out there doing what it is supposed to do. Your bike was really fun to build. This one is a different challenge with completely rewiring it and mounting all of the other systems needed to support the EFI.

Dan,

Ya, I was super happy too. I had to do some reworking of the fine filter bracket/heat shield so that it would fit. Then had to troubleshoot the very poor idle.... at first I thought that it was 'map' related, then I thought that the fuel pressure was off.... chased my tail for a hour or so, then figured it out. The throttle plate balance was WAY off. After I set that based upon the MAP sensors, it idles perfectly.

I have all of the wires present coming forward from the fuse panel, so I am going to start wrapping them up and moving forward toward the front. Once at the front, then I will finish trim the wires and terminate with new plugs. Should be done with this portion this week. I might take it for a shake down spin around the block before I pull the subframe off to fix it, just to make sure it all works...
Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #164
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Dan,

Ya, I was super happy too. I had to do some reworking of the fine filter bracket/heat shield so that it would fit. Then had to troubleshoot the very poor idle.... at first I thought that it was 'map' related, then I thought that the fuel pressure was off.... chased my tail for a hour or so, then figured it out. The throttle plate balance was WAY off. After I set that based upon the MAP sensors, it idles perfectly.

I have all of the wires present coming forward from the fuse panel, so I am going to start wrapping them up and moving forward toward the front. Once at the front, then I will finish trim the wires and terminate with new plugs. Should be done with this portion this week. I might take it for a shake down spin around the block before I pull the subframe off to fix it, just to make sure it all works...
Weird that the balance was way off but glad it was the case and not something more serious. I got the throttle bodies in a box and brought them strait up to you. Hope you get to ride it this week so I can hear the feedback on how its performing. Already trying to figure out where the first ride will take me when it's all buttoned up. Oh and love the new dash. I've always wanted a tachometer on this bike.

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #165
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

I have not completed a bracket for the instrument pod yet, its just sitting there. I was going to mount it to the top of the headlight, where the other one was mounted, but the thing is, you cannot see it when sitting down and even when standing its not that easy to see through all the control cables,hoses and wires. It needs to be in a spot that is protected, or at least not going to get easily wiped off the bike when it takes a dirt nap... The HWDB upper clamp has provision for a billet mount on the front, but then it gets in the way of the front brake hose... So, to say the least, I have not completely figured this portion out yet.