Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #166
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,495
PS, you need to change your Profile tag line so its more better... KTM 990 SuperDuperEnduroR....
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #167
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
I have not completed a bracket for the instrument pod yet, its just sitting there. I was going to mount it to the top of the headlight, where the other one was mounted, but the thing is, you cannot see it when sitting down and even when standing its not that easy to see through all the control cables,hoses and wires. It needs to be in a spot that is protected, or at least not going to get easily wiped off the bike when it takes a dirt nap... The HWDB upper clamp has provision for a billet mount on the front, but then it gets in the way of the front brake hose... So, to say the least, I have not completely figured this portion out yet.
H2W, Paul now has a mount for that dash (same as 690 and very similar to the 950 SER front end). I was able to route the brake line between the bars and dash. My 690 may have been the prototype for this mount.

Forks fully extended:

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #168
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Thanks for the reference! Email sent to HWDB and Paul. We _might_ have to have a custom hose made (Galfer does it for me) so that it fits correctly with the bars and risers that are on it now. Will have to take a closer look at it tonight.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #169
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
PS, you need to change your Profile tag line so its more better... KTM 990 SuperDuperEnduroR....
Copy and paste. I was thinking I might put my lower bars off my SX on if those felt to high with the rox system. Don't know if that will make the difference so we don't need a new brake line or not...

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #170
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan950ser View Post
Copy and paste. I was thinking I might put my lower bars off my SX on if those felt to high with the rox system. Don't know if that will make the difference so we don't need a new brake line or not...
I believe that either way a different hose is going to be needed, will know more tonight.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #171
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Thanks for the reference! Email sent to HWDB and Paul. We _might_ have to have a custom hose made (Galfer does it for me) so that it fits correctly with the bars and risers that are on it now. Will have to take a closer look at it tonight.
Forgot to mention that my 690 is a 2008 (250 mm suspension) and has 2" bar risers.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #172
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Performed the first shake down ride. Everything is working well and it runs pretty darn good. Still need to complete the forward wiring section that interfaces to the bar controls. I may also need to relocate the ECU down about a inch so it will easily clear the fuel cell and the return line... it fits but its tighter than I would like.

Dan, you are going to like this I am sure!

Head2Wind screwed with this post 04-26-2014 at 08:40 PM
Old 04-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #173
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Thumb

Very nice!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #174
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Motor sounds like it's running well for sure. Did you start the motor in gear and take off with the kickstand down just cause you could?

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Old 04-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #175
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Motor sounds like it's running well for sure. Did you start the motor in gear and take off with the kickstand down just cause you could?

No........

Got slightly distracted this morning... could not pass on this CL find... PW80 for cheap

Preparing the next generation to keep the flame.

Now onto finishing up the 990 SE

Head2Wind screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 12:49 PM
Old 04-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #176
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Nice little starter bike. I can't wait till my daughter is old enough to start riding! She is only 17 months but I still always keep an eye for a great deal on a crf50 or something comparable.

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #177
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Ken will you post a picture of the subframe bracing when you get it done?

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Old 04-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #178
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Ken will you post a picture of the subframe bracing when you get it done?

Yes, will do.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #179
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

After several weeks and week ends of occasional work on the 990 SE EFI project I managed to focus some time on it this past weekend as well as the past several evenings to get a few things finished.

Since this bike gets _USED_ and with a load on its back some times, the rear subframe needed some minor repairs as well as gusseting to make it strong enough to hold up to BAJA....

All the bits are removed from the frame....

Fractures next to the thread inserts...

The back of the frame..... I can completely understand why KTM will not stand behind subframe failures when there is _ANYTHING_ other than a rider mounted to the back of the bike... icky..

The surgery center

Preparing one side of the gusset

Both gussets welded in and now fitting the aft section

all finished up and welded.... I am not a welder by trade, and definitely have room to improve, but this fix should be fine for quite some time.

Onto fixing the luggage racks, both of the aft sections of the mount were completely broken...

The fixed version...

Hopefully _COMPLETELY DONE_ back here....

Old 05-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #180
Eldon
950 ADV

Oddometer: 481
Nice job. I love this build!

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
74 Honda MR50 - Sold and I wish I hadn't