Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #76
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,412
The difference between the two is the depth of the tank adapter housing that the pump attaches to. The ADV adapter is deeper, where the SM/SD is pretty flat. I have a SD pump in my ADV tank, but had to rotate it so the FPR clears inside the tank.

External pump: Walbro GSL393 155lph. Granted, its overkill for this application (capable of supporting >300HP)

I am working up a BOM right now for the SE build. Something that I have been meaning to do for some time.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #77
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,436
BOM -bill of materials? Thanks for the info on the pump. Certainly makes it a lot easier to install in a 950 platform bike. As for filtration any recommendations?

I have a wiring diagram for the 3 looms on the SM and it does make the conversion much easier.
(If anyone needs a copy let me know)
Ill be keeping the CDI/battery n fuses under the seat in a custom tray. For ease of conversion and it leaves more room around the tower/oil cooler
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611461
Email. Turtleshell5@icloud.com
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #78
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Yes, BOM = bill of materials, basically the build recipe for putting together a IMO world class and completely reliable high pressure fuel pump and filtration system for the KTM EFI. One of the challenges with coming upon this solution is getting all of the information about the fuel filters, specifically the filter media area... there are a bunch of filters out there but few spec the square inch area of the media. The high dollar filters do (AEROQUIP for example), however for this application these filters are IMO too big... we do not need -12AN fuel lines as this is not a 1500HP drag engine. -6 or -8 will do for sure. The GSL393 is on the big side as well considering that it will easily support near 300HP, we only need ~150HP capacity which would shrink the size of the pump as well as the power necessary to make it run, but for now I'm pretty sure that we are going to go with the GSL393 as it is a commonly available and reliable inline pump. For some odd reason (and maybe I am not looking in the right places?) I cannot find anything smaller than the 155LPH from a well known source..... Perhaps someone out there has some info?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #79
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
BOM -bill of materials? Thanks for the info on the pump. Certainly makes it a lot easier to install in a 950 platform bike. As for filtration any recommendations?
Pete - my 2˘ If you can go with an external pump I would do it. Changing the filter on the stock pump is a real PITA, especially if have do it on the side of the road (which is a really possibility in Oz), you need to turn the tank upside down and block the vent holes to prevent fuel from going everywhere.

The pump in Powercell's picture looks like it would fit in the same place as the 950 pump current is.

If you do go with the stock internal pump on a set of 990 tanks I would put one of those backflush things in that Hartley sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #80
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

In this application we will be using all external systems since the SE does not have provision for a intank pump system. For this project we don't need to worry about the issues assoc'd with the ADV tank, however it is my intention to build several replacement solutions for the ADV that will allow servicing of the filters without removing the tank or tank interface plate.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #81
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,097
Subscribed!
I look forward to get an external pump solution.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #82
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 747
So Dan, You gonna sell the SE-R after you do the swap. That tends to happen with your toys. Jus sayin.

BTW, I live in El Paso, Texas now. Closer to Baja! Gotta do a bunch of work to the 950 before she would be ready for that place.

My real name is Chris to stop the cornfusion at the RTE's
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #83
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 335
Well I think I'm going to get this thread back on track with an update. I now have all the parts needed and got the bike over to my buddy's shop yesterday. Here she is for the final ride with carbs.

Stripping it down to get the engine out and the pile of parts that came off in the process.

Bike down to the frame which was surprisingly easy and didn't take very long at all.

The new engine (oh so shiny) and the old engine getting ready to take over to Eldon's.

I didn't put the new 990 in yet because I want to throw the new harness in while it is easy to access. Got home from the shop and it was sitting on my door step. So be heading back over on Saturday as that's the next day off I have. Chris I don't think I'll ever sell this one but would love to see you in Baja to roost you with it. My plan is to hopefully get it up to Ken's shop the following Saturday but still have to make the plans with him. Getting really excited to rip this thing. More to come.

2013 KTM 300 SX: converted into woods weapon
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #84
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

That's what I like to hear, minus the part where I get roosted. Well Los Angela's is only 12 hours of driving from my house in El Paso. Another 2 to San Diego. My aunt has a place at the beach there. I need to get back to riding again. Still have a lot of damage to the 950 from that wreck a while back.

I'm totally stoked for ya dan. That things gonna be sweet.

Personally I'm holding out for a 1290

Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #85
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
That's what I like to hear, minus the part where I get roosted. Well Los Angela's is only 12 hours of driving from my house in El Paso. Another 2 to San Diego. My aunt has a place at the beach there. I need to get back to riding again. Still have a lot of damage to the 950 from that wreck a while back.

I'm totally stoked for ya dan. That things gonna be sweet.

Personally I'm holding out for a 1290
I would never roost you . Thanks for the ups on the project. Get that bike together and join us in April in Baja. Would be good to see you again. Been a long time bro.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #86
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan950ser View Post
I would never roost you . Thanks for the ups on the project. Get that bike together and join us in April in Baja. Would be good to see you again. Been a long time bro.
I'll see what I can make happen bro. It would be great to catch up with ya. Maybe even make this an annual ritual.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #87
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Well got the 990 bolted in, 950 oil lines run and oil tank mounted. Swapped the front cylinder valve covers between the motors for correct oil return line routing. Blead the slave cylinder and installed the new throttle cables and tube. Was going to swap out the harness but the one I received from eBay but it was a little beat up. Well a lot beat up and after talking to Ken I think we might have to go with a different harness or solution. So going to wait to see what the plan is once I get the bike up to advmachine on Saturday.

These pics were takin before the valve covers were swapped out. Also need to route the crankcase breather correctly. Getting stoked to hear this thing run!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #88
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Also forgot to mention I have received almost all my external fuel pump parts. So far I have in my possession the pump, FPR housing and correct 3.5 bar FPR, QD for return line to PowerCell tank. Just waiting for the filters to get here and then all the fittings and line. Should have some exciting updates this weekend.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #89
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,436
Whats the benefit of changing out the oil reservoir and lines?
or did your motor not come with it hence the install?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611461
Email. Turtleshell5@icloud.com
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #90
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

The oil lines are different on the ADV in comparison to the SE, therefore the requirement to swap the ADV lines for the SE lines.

Sent from ADVmachines.com via Tapatalk