User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #106
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,501
Thanks for the complements everyone.

Larry, aka fluffy gremlin, really likes chasing the rodents that have taken up home in the shop since the temps are low..... I have yet to teach him how to ride, maybe that will be my next project: Teach Larry how to ride on a Motorcycle... hmmmmm, might be fun.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #107
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Thanks for the complements everyone.

Larry, aka fluffy gremlin, really likes chasing the rodents that have taken up home in the shop since the temps are low..... I have yet to teach him how to ride, maybe that will be my next project: Teach Larry how to ride on a Motorcycle... hmmmmm, might be fun.
Now that would be a funny vid , hope ya head cold goes soon, I am sporting a beauty at the mo too so we have stopped in Puno, Peru for a breather to recover, Vitamin C to the max now

So more posts on progress please, OC is my lifeline at the mo while in bed.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #108
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Working out the logistics now... but hoping to have one of these in my stable soon.... 2010 BETA 520 RR, with a bunch of factory super cool stuff on it. Roughly 600 miles on it almost new.... Its going to be my super light DS

Old 02-23-2014, 02:28 AM   #109
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Awesome work, that wiring harness terrifies me - that is certainly my weak point (electrical systems!).

Reading this great thread just shaking my head though - I sold my 990R largely as I hated the FI! ;)

Any thoughts how you are going to cure the low speed/rev stumble/snatch all the FI models seem to have? There are a tons of claimed fixes, oval butterflies, remap, velocity stacks, etc..
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #110
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Any thoughts how you are going to cure the low speed/rev stumble/snatch all the FI models seem to have? There are a tons of claimed fixes, oval butterflies, remap, velocity stacks, etc..
Its no big deal really and it depends on the kind of snatch the bike has.
Generally speaking, its a combination of a suitable TPS adjustment (not necessarily by the book), throttle body sync and a good map...deleting the lamda sensors and secondary flies helps a lot on some bikes,
Zuber suggests smoothing out the ignition map at low revs from tuneEcu. At the end of the day, a very jerky bike can behave like a very well jetted carbed one, and the whole process will take a lot less time than trying to properly jet a carbie.
At the end of the day this 'snatchiness' is not an inherent 990 quality, it is a byproduct of applying bulk settings on bikes with, lets say, individual characters!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #111
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 414
Ken thanks for the update and the video! Wiring like others have said is my weak point and what almost stopped me from doing this project. Luckily I only live three hours from Ken. As far as the jerky/snatchiness goes I have faith from reading here and talking to Ken that it is all curable through the proper tune for each individual bike. Excited to have the updated dash with a tach and all of the failure prone systems removed from the harness.

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #112
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Despite a rather significant amount of this cold white stuff falling (~10" at my house in 2 days + NE winds blowing it all onto my truck), the deliveries of bits and pieces is beginning to happen.

And the goods

Old 02-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #113
Dan950ser OP
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 414
What the fittings didn't come in orange!

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #114
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Blue makes the fuel cooler, therefore more HP
Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #115
Eldon
950 ADV

Oddometer: 486
Way to go Ken! You're doing a awesome job on the wiring harness and fuel pump install/fabrication. It's nice to see that you're not cutting corners or just trying to throw it all together. I'm glad to see you're able to go with the 990 dash too.
This bike is going to be a monster and I can't wait to see her run!

I've finished up the install of Dan's old SE motor into my Adventure now and she is running like a top.

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
74 Honda MR50 - Sold and I wish I hadn't
Eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #116
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Update

Making progress, albeit slower than anticipated.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #117
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,201
You are a great inspiration
Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #118
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,201
Be aware with which year the EFI bridge 52mm from the RC8 comes from. They change the control of the EFI when the big engine change came.
2011 new engine(heavyer crank, dual inj)
Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #119
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,839
Good Job.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #120
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
Be aware with which year the EFI bridge 52mm from the RC8 comes from. They change the control of the EFI when the big engine change came.
2011 new engine(heavyer crank, dual inj)
Thanks for the complements. I'm glad to be given the opportunity to do something that I really enjoy doing. As soon as this one is completed I get to refine my process and build at least one more... if that one goes well, then there will be another right after than too.....

These throttle bodies are from a 2010 RC8, very good to know that the later model system changed as well as the spacing. I will keep that in mind when hunting for donor parts. I test fitted them to the 990 engine last night and they drop right into the manifolds, and therefore will fit the 950 as well. I _assume_ (and will verify before hand) that the throttle body harness is wired the same between the 990, I don't see a good reason for it to change, but sometimes strange decisions are made between models. I suspect that the injectors are a different rating and therefore will require a different tune to support them.