ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
vteec OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
KTM 1190 Adenture R physical size and weight compared to BMW F800GS and 990 Adventure

Hi
i currently ride a BMW R1150gs and G650 Xcountry.
i bought the 650 xcountry because i wanted something more 'fun' and lighter than the 1150gs.

i test rode a mate's BMW F800GS, and i like the size and the fact that this bike is 'fun'. not too heavy etc ... before taking the plunge and ordering one for me i am considering another option - a new KTM 1190 Adventure R.
unfortunately my local dealer does not have an 1190 R to sit on and check out.
how is the physical size when compared the the BMW F800gs please?
Also when compared to a KTM 990 Adventure? which i beleive is very similar in size and weight to the F800.
is it bigger? i want a bike that easy to handle and quick to respond to riders inputs.

i am selling the 1150gs because i feel like this bike is too huge and unwieldy for me.

hoping that the 1190R will be fun just like a big Xcountry :)

thank you
vteec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteec View Post
Hi
i bought the 650 xcountry because i wanted something more 'fun' and lighter than the 1150gs.

i test rode a mate's BMW F800GS, and i like the size and the fact that this bike is 'fun'. not too heavy etc ... before taking the plunge and ordering one for me i am considering another option - a new KTM 1190 Adventure R.
Also when compared to a KTM 990 Adventure? which i beleive is very similar in size and weight to the F800.
is it bigger? i want a bike that easy to handle and quick to respond to riders inputs.

i am selling the 1150gs because i feel like this bike is too huge and unwieldy for me.

thank you
I have gone from an F800GS to an 1190R.

The 1190R is fun with a capital "F".

The Kato feels lighter than the F8 to punt around, it is taller but narrower so there is not much in that area.

The Kato is infinitely more comfortable, the F8 is not a comfortable bike unless you spend money on another seat! Its shocking and the only gripe I had with the bike in the 4 1/2 years I had it.

The Kato suspension is on another planet compared to the F8, its brilliant.

Power wise, Kato obviously wins that one too, and the brakes, and everything really!!

Took this pic today, its awesome.

This is my F8 just before it was sold. Great bike, enjoyed every minute on it, except for the sore arse. I was looking at the F8 Adventure but it has the same crap suspension as the original and costs the same as the 1190R by the time its sorted, and its still got shite suspension, in comparison.

And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
vteec OP
Adventurer

hi Bigem
exactly what i was lookg for!
thank you for your reply.
how do you compare the seat height between the two please?
is is much higher when compared with the f800 with low seat? or yours had a standard seat?
do you mind teling me your inseam for comaprison with mine.
also how does the engine feel? especially at low speeds?
is it docile like the 800gs?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
I had the BMW Rallye seat on mine, it was approx 2 inches/40mm higher than standard.

The KTM is about the same as that except its narrower across the frame, BMW was very wide between the legs.

Never had too much of an issue with the height but I reckon stationary the Kato feels top heavy (F8 has seat under tank, keeps the weight down like G650. Although I do look for flat area's to park the bike on, I think the side stand is about an inch too long and I seem to have the feeling its going to fall over!

My inseam is only 32 inches/82 cm, so I'm no long legged giant.

Power wise, I never had an issue with the abruptness of the F8, it suited me but quite a few guys have not liked it.

The KTM will respond in whichever way you open the throttle, they have done a really good job over making 150hp on knobbys controllable!!

In Sport mode, the TC will allow some sliding of the rear but it gives you confidence it isnt going to try and throw you into the bushes. I love it.
I will be fitting the 'bad fuel dongle' which allows you to turn off both TC and ABS and run shitty fuel in it without risking engine damage. It also lets you set the bike to Sport mode and it will stay that way and not default to Street mode when you stop the bike, or so I have been told.

I have also fitted the Uni Filter filter kit as the airbox setup leaks like a sieve and lets dirt in!!

On the highway, F8 isnt even in the race, this thing covers ground with almost zero effort, turbine smooth and just keeps pulling and like the F8, is damn incredible on fuel!! Modern FI engines really do rock!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Use the tabs across the top to add multiple machines then scroll up and down with your mouse wheel and they will overlap each other and you can get a pretty good idea of size. Also, input your height and inseam on the sidebar to get an idea of seating position.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
vteec OP
Adventurer

hi Bigem
thank you once again your reply is worth more than gold for me, it is quite a leap of faith ordering a bike by not even sitting on it.
i wanted to ask you about the fuel consumption as well.
i was always impressed with the fuel consumption of my friend's 800gs, it is quite close to my g650 single!
on the other hand my 1150gs is not really fuel efficient.
so you gave me some other good news!

my inseam is 31inches. do you manage to flat foot the 1190R ?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 290
Has your local dealer sold any 1190R ? If so, he may help you to contact an owner to sit. My local dealer didn't have an R for trial either, but I drove to the next one which had an R to try. Its a huge difference between the standard and the R, not only sitting but also riding.

I would never buy a bike without trying.
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Fueling is way higher then bmw
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
vteec OP
Adventurer

hi tancakar, you mean it consumes more, or less than the bmw please?
thank you

hi womble_ch, unfortunately test riding one will not be an option for me :(
but i agree with you!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
mikewolff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
How are they different Womble??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
Has your local dealer sold any 1190R ? If so, he may help you to contact an owner to sit. My local dealer didn't have an R for trial either, but I drove to the next one which had an R to try. Its a huge difference between the standard and the R, not only sitting but also riding.

I would never buy a bike without trying.
mikewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

KTM 1190 Adenture R physical size and weight compared to BMW F800GS and 990 A...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewolff View Post
How are they different Womble??
Old 11-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

KTM 1190 Adenture R physical size and weight compared to BMW F800GS and 990 A...

Different wheel sizes, different seats, higher suspension and manual damping adjustments on the R (which I feel gives more variations then the EDS). The @R I test-drove had an optimal damping adjustment, which I didn't feel with the EDS on the standard. I really like the height of the R and are happy with my choice. The extra off-road capabilities are bonus.

Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Old 11-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem View Post
I had the BMW Rallye seat on mine, it was approx 2 inches/40mm higher than standard.

The KTM is about the same as that except its narrower across the frame, BMW was very wide between the legs.

Never had too much of an issue with the height but I reckon stationary the Kato feels top heavy (F8 has seat under tank, keeps the weight down like G650. Although I do look for flat area's to park the bike on, I think the side stand is about an inch too long and I seem to have the feeling its going to fall over!

My inseam is only 32 inches/82 cm, so I'm no long legged giant.

Power wise, I never had an issue with the abruptness of the F8, it suited me but quite a few guys have not liked it.

The KTM will respond in whichever way you open the throttle, they have done a really good job over making 150hp on knobbys controllable!!

In Sport mode, the TC will allow some sliding of the rear but it gives you confidence it isnt going to try and throw you into the bushes. I love it.
I will be fitting the 'bad fuel dongle' which allows you to turn off both TC and ABS and run shitty fuel in it without risking engine damage. It also lets you set the bike to Sport mode and it will stay that way and not default to Street mode when you stop the bike, or so I have been told.

I have also fitted the Uni Filter filter kit as the airbox setup leaks like a sieve and lets dirt in!!

On the highway, F8 isnt even in the race, this thing covers ground with almost zero effort, turbine smooth and just keeps pulling and like the F8, is damn incredible on fuel!! Modern FI engines really do rock!
"set the bike to Sport mode and it will stay that way and not default to Street mode"?...really? mine doesn't do that!
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Grifter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vteec View Post
Hi

thank you
Getting back to the original question (title) mate. The KTM weights 217/235KG vs 191/214KG for the BMW. Ergo the BMW is physically lighter by 57LBS dry or 46LBS wet. I care not a hoot how a bike handles off-road, anything over the weight of a 250cc is a bleedin pig, or in the case of these two -bush pigs. If the going is wet muddy and soft , I would rather have a lighter bike distributing its weight evenly across those tire foot-prints, so the BMW by 46lbs lighter it would be.

Grifter screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 08:22 PM Reason: title
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
Getting back to the original question (title) mate. The KTM weights 217/235KG vs 191/214KG for the BMW. Ergo the BMW is physically lighter by 57LBS dry or 46LBS wet. I care not a hoot how a bike handles off-road, anything over the weight of a 250cc is a bleedin pig, or in the case of these two -bush pigs. If the going is wet muddy and soft , I would rather have a lighter bike distributing its weight evenly across those tire foot-prints, so the BMW by 46lbs lighter it would be.
Not to disagree, but, I disagree.....I just rode the 1190 today and the combination of the power plant and suspension make the choice so obviously tilted in the Katooms direction that the 800 does not hold a candle, IMHO. Opinions are individual but if you're in the process of choosing and you don't test drive one or the other, you can make a bad decision just based on weight numbers.....cheers and good luck mates......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote