Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #31
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
Count me in. I have had a blast at past events you have put together.
Interesting feedback about competition vs luck of the draw on the grand prize. I would think that when you combine the skills challenge along with posting on social media, attending events, contacting sponsors, etc, it would even the playing field.
IMO the value of the grand prize(s) sets the tone. The higher the value of the GP the tighter the scoring has to be if there is to be scoring involved. Once over a certain level (a new bike perhaps) then it has to be clear, concise and fair starting with the rules. A potential problem is the judging on social media and the fact that you can already score points and the game has yet to start.

The flip side is if the prizes are numerous or awarded by chance to participants only then the points are only bragging rights, the high scorer gets his or her name in lights along with a trophy but everyone there gets a shot at the big prize. Perhaps a way to combine the two is to award more chances (tickets) for the big prize based on various criteria.

Regardless I like the idea and feel confident something will come of this. When you consider Ian's track record it's a good bet. If you think it's a good idea spread the word and let's see if this seed will grow.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #32
Visian OP
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,652
So a question about scoring points.

You'd shoot a video like this.... post it here, or on Facebook, or Youtube.... and then share the link to the video on the MotoSummit Facebook page, with your hashtag... #2014MotoSummit-Rider405

Does that sound like too much of a pain in the ass for 50 points?
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
Visian OP
Look out!

Say you're heading from the northeast to the BMW MOA rally this summer, would an adventure detour across the UP be worth scoring some points?

Here's how it would work:
  1. Ride the ride, shoot pics of your GPS for proof points
  2. Visit a few POIs and take pics
  3. Post your scoring info to a Facebook page, or a forum, or send them in via e-mail if you just don't deal with that other crap
  4. Get bonus points for sharing "quality" photos in social media
  5. Score bonus points for posting a ride report here on ADVrider.

Or... it this just too much hassle?

Thanks to Cannonshot for help with the route...
Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #34
biker2hiker
4dirt

Oddometer: 102
If I end up going, I'd take the UP route from upstate NY so adding a little ADV fun would be worth the extra miles. Especially if the route is pre-planned. Thanks Ian.
biker2hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #35
Visian OP
Look out!

If you zoom out on that map, or scroll to the right, you'll see Manatoulin Island, and across the lake is the Tobermory Peninsula, both in Ontario Canada. There's a ferry that connects the two points. This would make an excellent ADV ride from New England states...
Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #36
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,959
Cool2 Weird!

I've had that island on my list for a couple of years! I have no idea why. I found it on the map and put it on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
If you zoom out on that map, or scroll to the right, you'll see Manatoulin Island, and across the lake is the Tobermory Peninsula, both in Ontario Canada. There's a ferry that connects the two points. This would make an excellent ADV ride from New England states...

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #37
Matt M
Matt M

Oddometer: 3
Wicked Sounds like Fun

This idea sounds fun.. Ian if you need help let me know what I can do.
Matt M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #38
Visian OP
Look out!

Thanks, Matt... that is much appreciated.

So here's a little more flesh to the bones, your feedback is deeply appreciated.

The contest lasts 8 months, assuming I can get it started in March. April may be more likely, but I'd hate to miss the Trans-Florida Ride, Death Valley Noobs, Dualsport Desert Daze, March Moto Madness because each are being run by good buddies.

Scoring
It looks like the most economical approach will be to enter scores manually, with Scorekeepers maintaining the riders' scores in a forum. If the mods would let me I'd do it here. I have budgeted $1,000 each for scorekeepers, in case anyone is interested.

My dream is a mobile app and a browser-based application, with a back-end that automagically calculates and posts the riders score.

Scoring for your activities can be entered in any one of these ways:
  • Facebook page - post or check-in including hashtag with rider number
  • Instagram - post including hashtag with rider number
  • Twitter - post including hashtag with rider number
  • At the MotoSummits Scoring Forum - post your claim for points
  • e-mail - yeah, for you old guys, send us an e-mail and we’ll post your score to the Forum for you

The hashtag will be something like MotoSummit14-### (rider number).

At the MotoSummits Scoring Forum, each rider will have a thread. They check their current score in the first post, which only Scorekeepers can edit (or the database will catch you if you try to pull a fast one!) They can also enter their claims for scores, which the Scorekeepers will add to their totals.

Proving scores is where the rubber hits the road. More on that later.

Simplicity of scoring is essential, and I really am not sure if the above is too complex. Thoughts?

Here's how you score points:

Below is the current thinking, can you think of anything else worthy of points?

Events

Weekend-long = 500, max 3 per month - examples are March Moto Madness, Trans-Florida GS Ride, a Jimmy Lewis class, RMAR, Rick's... etc.

Week long = 1000, max 3 per year - examples are The Adventure RAid or The GS Giant, an Ayers Adventure Tour, or a tour with Rokklym on the TWAT.

Rides

< 200 miles = 150

200-400 miles = 250

400+ = 250

Destinations

Remote = 150, can be scored on one of the rides.

Not-so-remote = 75 (think Tag-o-rama but a bit tougher)

ADV BS = 25 - for instance, a photo of the business end of the Crapduster… which is somewhere in SW Oregon.

Social Activities

Finally, your on-line socializing can count toward your total. Subject matter can be just about anything, there will be a max points per month to thwart those with way too much time on their hands, and I am contemplating some type of BS clause where others can shoot you down if your post is too lame.

Example scoring opportunities
  1. Add MotoSummits to your forum sig line, with a link to your scoring page = X points each month
  2. Social shares of MotoSummit activity, with hashtag = X points, max points per month
  3. Shoot and post video on various social places
  4. Post in social discussion between friends with hashtag = X points per post up to max

This last part is still way open to ideas.

Last...

Qualifying levels for prizes

Much more math required here, but a great idea that came from this discussion is to have tiers where you may not win the bike, but you get a damn good chance each month to win the aftermarket bling of your choice.

XXXX points required to compete for the bike, value up to $22k in bike/accessory combo

XXX - to get a monthly chance to win a $400 prize of your choice

XX - to get a monthly chance to win a $250 prize of your choice

Once you hit the level, you're in for subsequent months.

Thanks for reading this far!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #39
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,426
Count me in.

I like what is forming so far. While I don't need an additional reason or focus to go ride, this format does add a potentially rewarding dividend for me and the sport with what I'm already doing and planning. In for the journey.
AdvRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #40
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
I like what is forming so far. While I don't need an additional reason or focus to go ride, this format does add a potentially rewarding dividend for me and the sport with what I'm already doing and planning. In for the journey.
Thanks for your comment, and for seeing the dividend for the sport.

The best thing you can do to help make this real is to share the link to this thread with others and see if they're interested too.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #41
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,741
not to be debbie downer here but why would something like this be allowed on the site and a kickstarter campaign not be?

not saying i would not participate in this. more like trying to on the kickstarter campaigns being allowed.

is 400 the max limit on the number of participants? would there be one bike for every 400? those are encouraging odds.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #42
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
not to be debbie downer here but why would something like this be allowed on the site and a kickstarted campaign not be?
Well, I am not a mod, so I can't speak for them, but this is not a Kickstarter campaign. I'm asking for input on a concept I am thinking about developing. Sort of a co-development process... I think the result will be better if people have a voice in defining the concept.

I am, too, very appreciative that the mods are ok with this thread.

Quote:
not saying i would not participate in this. more like trying to on the kickstarted campaigns being allowed.
Understood

I hope you do participate, it's a pretty good value for $100. If it's successful, it could drive a lot of value back to the riders.

Quote:
is 400 the max limit on the number of participants? would there be one bike for every 400? those are encouraging odds.
They are good odds. But don't forget, you have to score a certain number of points to get to the win-the-bike tier! (which of course eliminates the odds because the bike goes to the top-scorer)

To tell you the truth, I think I am going to be hard pressed to get to 400 riders at $100 a pop, which is my break-even. Not so much because the concept sucks but because it's very expensive to get the word out on the mass scale required.

I like your question about the threshold for adding another bike. For this year, it'd have to be another 250 riders at least, or 400 if the quantity other prizes get upped, as well.

It could be better with sponsors. How about you help me out and post the link to this thread on some potential sponsors' Facebook pages?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #43
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Question Idea

Ian, it's Chet. Idea here, how about a game of tag? Pick a group of industry guys willing to report in for points? Every time an ADV Rider checks in they receive X # of points. I'd also add bonus points for completing ADV or dirt bike type training courses.

Example, see Matt at TT or one of their events, get 50 points, see Jeremy at AltRider, etc., Create a list with location and vendor. Update with additional locations as they are scheduled. Heck, double bonus points if they run into one of them on the trail just out riding (as if fellow ADV Riders need an excuse to stop and chat).

I'd be willing to volunteer myself for any of the PSSOR events I am at for the year, as well as the many riding venues I will be at. We could start with Wickenburg :) Double up on the points, see me AND Matt, plus the ride points
Old 02-08-2014, 04:35 AM   #44
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post

They are good odds. But don't forget, you have to score a certain number of points to get to the win-the-bike tier! (which of course eliminates the odds because the bike goes to the top-scorer)

It could be better with sponsors. How about you help me out and post the link to this thread on some potential sponsors' Facebook pages?
To me this is the only flaw with the concept.

To win you need to get points. To get points you need to participate in various non riding activities that drive revenue to the organizer.

I believe that grand prizes should be awarded either on a strictly judged motorcycle competition or by chance to all participants. There can be tiers based on participation. I'm working on a project where riders earn an extra ticket for the lottery for each event they do. The only advantage they get are better odds of winning the grand prized and the *only* way to improve the odds is show up at more events!

Personally I think the entire concept is so cool and has so much potential that there's no reason to give away a bike. IMO once you have a grand prize of high value the rules must be easy to understand the the competition itself must be fair. That's why I like the lottery to all participants and a plaque to the "winner". It encourages the participation and eliminates incentives to cheat by either the organizers (so bubby buddy wins) or the contestants.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #45
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,426
I agree.

The first step to mount is the $100 entry fee and how the return on that investment is realized or not for all riders. If say only the top 50 point achievers of the 400 are awarded, then that $100 for the remaining 350 is better spent on their own tangible returns: fuel, tires, break pads and so forth. Also, the lower tier prizes of the 50 point winners, should be above the entry fee.

If the entry fee, on the other hand is like a lottery or raffle ticket with some very good odds, then it's an easier entry level step to mount. Also include a minimum number of activity points (saddle and online) as part of the general pool entry requirement. It benefits both limited resource (time and funds) participants and the vendors / industry. Further, it may on the legal side, change the event nature from just being a general lottery /raffle into an entity that would not fall under state laws and limitations. Don't know, but just adding it to the mix.

As for a top single prize, another option is two top prizes of say $15K / $5K and a points plaque with the larger going to the general pool and the other for top earned points. Again, structured so its still not a run away for a retired, no kids, etc participant.
AdvRich is online now   Reply With Quote